Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone have USD10000

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

To spend? hm..

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Who on earth would want to spend that amount on this?

02-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Damn, the camera store must have forgotten that these days we have something called SD cards

And no, those accessories really aren't that special, lol.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is the 2nd or 3rd time this unit has been offered, as I recall. If it had been a Leica it would have sold immediately!
02-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gosh, the guy in my camera store showed me this one on his phone today. Odd news travels fast...

02-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Definitely an interesting collector´s item. But the price is not out of this world!
02-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

is that really true any such thing exist? k1000 with MD? or its just merely KX MD with k1000 top?
02-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
is that really true any such thing exist? k1000 with MD? or its just merely KX MD with k1000 top?
no, that appears to be an early model K1000. from what I understand, Asahi Opt. would convert a K1000 to a MD at a customers request, for a fee. wasn't an MD k1000 discussed in another thread no to long ago?

02-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I think it is the same one. I'm still dubious that this was done by Pentax because the bottom plate is from a Spotmatic - which has the word "Motor Drive" on the front - rather than KM/KX which has it on the rear. The motor drive is also the earlier version which had been superseded before the end of the screw-mount era, let alone the K-mount era.
02-12-2012, 04:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Who on earth would want to spend that amount on this?
Particularly as there is no battery, no charging cable and the motor drive is "untested". Madness!

Its just an expensive paperweight.
02-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

A pair of them would make nice book ends. One by itself I have no interest in.
02-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
I think it is the same one. I'm still dubious that this was done by Pentax because the bottom plate is from a Spotmatic - which has the word "Motor Drive" on the front - rather than KM/KX which has it on the rear. The motor drive is also the earlier version which had been superseded before the end of the screw-mount era, let alone the K-mount era.
I was under the impression that the spotmatic MD systems would fit the the K series bodies. I'm not really sure I understand your comment since there is almost no difference between a spotmatic F and a K1000, and screwmount bodies were still being manufactured two years after the introduction of the Kmount.
02-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
The KX/KM/K1000 all use the same style of baseplate, so if it was being built as a special order I would expect Pentax to just use one of those, not a left over Spotmatic baseplate. Remember that the KX/KM motor drive cameras were also special order cameras, so this should all have happened in the same workshop. The motor drive is more of a give away since it is a Motor Drive I, not the Motor Drive II that was used for the KM/KX. It seems very unlikely that Pentax would have built a special order K1000 using obsolete Spotmatic parts instead of readily available K series parts. On the other hand a competent camera tech could turn a Spotmatic Motor Drive into a K1000 Motor Drive by swapping parts from one to the other.
02-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

This has been around the net for a few months. AFAIK, Pentax never offered (at least officially), a motor drive for the K1000. I have never heard that they did them on a special-order basis or not.

In the case of the Spotmatic, there was a production version of the camera, that was fitted for the motor drive. I have also heard that Pentax would convert an ordinary Spotmatic to accept the motor drive. Its possible that they did the same for the K1000, but I kind of doubt it.

This is the only documented case of a MD K1000 that I have ever seen. As others have pointed out, the K1000 was essentially a Spotmatic F with a bayonet mount, so any good camera repair guy, with access to the necessary parts could easily put one of these together.

By the time, the K1000 came out, it was the entry-level model, not top-of-the-line. Pentax also had the K2/DMD, so I kind of doubt that they were very interested in custim-building a MD K1000. My money is on an independent repair tech putting it together.
02-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #14

While we're talking about these things... I've been trying to get to the bottom of some Spotmatic II Motor Drive issues.

I have one of these (in fact, the one you see on the Forum page is my unit) and am about to go through the battery handle/motor drive section before applying power. Does anyone know of any service data available for these things? Also, I could use a definitive key to the differences between Versions I & II, etc.

In addition, I noticed that mine has a mirror lockup. The data lists this camera as not having had one of these as standard, but you'd think that it would have been a normal feature of such a camera, considering the blazing-fast 2-3 FPS transport. Anyone know about this?

Bob Palmieri
02-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
MD versions are more s**y

Or?
As a collector I do find the MD versions to be more fancy to have on the shelf. Getting a battery for those old motor drives seems difficult. I did a CLA of my LX a few years a go, and my local repair company here in Norway ordred the last set of cells that Pentax Japan had in stock.

I have a ES II with motor, LX with motor and MX with motor. The last two I have had since I was a teenager (the LX was my second SLR after the Olympus OM-10).

Some nice batteries for the ES II motor would be fun to have.

And this is a great link for MD stuff: http://www.aohc.it/selart11e.htm

And this guy is selling a SP F with motor, calling it the first Pentax with MD.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-Spotmatic-F-Motor-Drive-Camera-Camera-Lens-Mo...item5d3208bc81

Last edited by Baard-Einar; 02-13-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: added link