Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
(And, ooh, Nesster. When I was a little photog I dreamed of Contax like some talked of Leica. But we've had that conversation, now that I think of it.)

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote

I suspect I'll do the same here. I'll likely leave the brassing and just redo the leather and the seals and clean the body up a bit. I'd like to do a custom leather on this one I think, maybe a neat snakeskin. I'll have to think about it a bit first though. I'll want a darker skin I think with some iridescence. I'm not even sure if the camera leather place online carries what I want. Might have to hunt around a bit and cut it myself.

Ooh. Not to dissuade the custom leather idea, Mags, but from the looks of your new friend there, that leather on there should be eminently-saveable. Just some q-tips, maybe cut some of the bristles off an old toothbrush, use a little mild saddle-soap or very-dilute detergent, (I might even try a wee wee touch of photo-flo in water or anything to break the surface tension, scrub as necessary, then q-tips to absorb any moisture back out. )

02-29-2012, 01:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I have a black SP that the previous owner tried to touch up with black paint. Personally I would rather remove it and expose the brassing. What is the best way to do so?
Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SP | Chemical Cameras

I also have a black ESII that is in beautiful condition! Eric worked on it for me and it operates flawlessly.
02-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by revdocjim Quote
I have a black SP that the previous owner tried to touch up with black paint. Personally I would rather remove it and expose the brassing. What is the best way to do so?

I also have a black ESII that is in beautiful condition! Eric worked on it for me and it operates flawlessly.
Depends on what paint they used. Hobby enamel or nail polish are likely suspects: I might try model paint remover, (careful of any vapors/drips near glass or foam seals) ...but that's likely to work.
02-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Actually it's not in bad shape. The F arrived today in the mail. It came way earlier than I expected actually and the pics above make it look a fair bit worse than it is I think. More pics later. I want to redo the light seals.

03-01-2012, 06:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I have a similarly "distressed" Black Spotmatic and I wouldn't trade it. I used to have a Black MX, but I already had a chrome one that had been CLA'd so the black one went to a loving new home to pay for some Large Format gear. I do have an ESII, which sees far too little use, and of course the best black Pentax, an LX.

Great camera, you are right to be proud of it!
03-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Figures!!! I've been all over town today and nobody and I mean NOBODY has the proper cell battery in stock for my new Spottie F, which means I have to order a few from Amazon and wait a week to see if the light meter still works...ARRGH!!!!!! I don't know why but I thought this one took two LR44's which I have quite a few of. Nope, it doesn't. Takes a 625 cell apparently which I can't find anywhere even at the local "We carry them all!" battery store. Eh, that's okay. I need a few for my SPII too, guess I might as well order them all at once, sigh...

Okay, now wait a minute here....

I'm on Amazon looking and it says PX625 or PX13 and the PX13 is the same as the alkaline LR44 but it looks like the LR44 is too small???? Are the PX13 and PX625 the same size? Do I just need a washer or something maybe?

Eh, never mind I just figured out that they are supposed to be totally different. The 625's had a lip around the battery and they are bigger it looks like. So yeah, I guess I am ordering off Amazon instead. Darn, I was hoping these would be easier to get than the ones for my SP/SPII. The LR44's are all over here and are easy to grab. But not the 625's. I don't see either one locally, not Duracell nor Energizer.

Last edited by magkelly; 03-03-2012 at 03:38 PM.
03-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Figures!!! I've been all over town today and nobody and I mean NOBODY has the proper cell battery in stock for my new Spottie F, which means I have to order a few from Amazon and wait a week to see if the light meter still works...ARRGH!!!!!! I don't know why but I thought this one took two LR44's which I have quite a few of. Nope, it doesn't. Takes a 625 cell apparently which I can't find anywhere even at the local "We carry them all!" battery store. Eh, that's okay. I need a few for my SPII too, guess I might as well order them all at once, sigh...

Okay, now wait a minute here....

I'm on Amazon looking and it says PX625 or PX13 and the PX13 is the same as the alkaline LR44 but it looks like the LR44 is too small???? Are the PX13 and PX625 the same size? Do I just need a washer or something maybe?

Eh, never mind I just figured out that they are supposed to be totally different. The 625's had a lip around the battery and they are bigger it looks like. So yeah, I guess I am ordering off Amazon instead. Darn, I was hoping these would be easier to get than the ones for my SP/SPII. The LR44's are all over here and are easy to grab. But not the 625's. I don't see either one locally, not Duracell nor Energizer.

Ah, this is a familiar problem to those of us who love the old Canons. The best solution is an adapter that'll let you use the very same LR44s you have around: they tend to run about 40 bucks and simply adapt the batteries to shape. In a pinch you can actually just stuff a 44 or 76 battery in the same space and pad it out a bit. (I think the spotties aren't voltage-sensitive as are most old Canons, but I'm not sure. That simplifies things, if so.)

The Px13 is the now-outlawed mercury cell version of the 625 alkalines: they are the same fit, but many old cameras require the consistent output of the mercury cell: the adapter I mentioned allows the use of silver oxides, (You want SR44s for that: still easily-available for hearing aids in about any supermarket) which are consistent enough that way.

I think, but I'm not sure, that the Pentaxes are less finicky about battery type than my beloved old Canons: For those, despite relaxed standards for mercury dumping since then, the proper mercury cell that I'd swear by Earth, sky, and water to be in proper care of ...is for most purposes unobtainable.

03-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Ah, this is a familiar problem to those of us who love the old Canons. The best solution is an adapter that'll let you use the very same LR44s you have around: they tend to run about 40 bucks and simply adapt the batteries to shape. In a pinch you can actually just stuff a 44 or 76 battery in the same space and pad it out a bit. (I think the spotties aren't voltage-sensitive as are most old Canons, but I'm not sure. That simplifies things, if so.)

The Px13 is the now-outlawed mercury cell version of the 625 alkalines: they are the same fit, but many old cameras require the consistent output of the mercury cell: the adapter I mentioned allows the use of silver oxides, (You want SR44s for that: still easily-available for hearing aids in about any supermarket) which are consistent enough that way.

I think, but I'm not sure, that the Pentaxes are less finicky about battery type than my beloved old Canons: For those, despite relaxed standards for mercury dumping since then, the proper mercury cell that I'd swear by Earth, sky, and water to be in proper care of ...is for most purposes unobtainable.
I had a Spottie-F that I just crammed an alkaline 303/357 into, and it worked just fine.
03-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Yes, Pentax uses a balanced meter circuit so voltage difference has little effect. I find both the Wein cells and the CRIS adapter work well in my Canon's as both give voltage very close to the old mercury cells.
I'm also convinced the main problem with mercury cells was not environmental, but because they were too cheap and easy to manufacture, and lasted too long for the price. Too much competition, not enough profit.
03-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Yes, Pentax uses a balanced meter circuit so voltage difference has little effect. I find both the Wein cells and the CRIS adapter work well in my Canon's as both give voltage very close to the old mercury cells.
I'm also convinced the main problem with mercury cells was not environmental, but because they were too cheap and easy to manufacture, and lasted too long for the price. Too much competition, not enough profit.
Ah, the old "We need to make a worse product so people buy more of it" angle. I don't see why they couldn't just charge more at that rate.

I hear Silver Oxide cells give similar performance to Mercury.
03-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #26
Veteran Member

nice image Nesster, Cameraleather.com has some great options

I like this yashicamat finish - would look good on a black pentax as well i think

03-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I hear Silver Oxide cells give similar performance to Mercury
...better...

Steve
03-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #28
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...better...

Steve
indeed. silver oxide cells very closely match the flatter discharge curve of mercury batteries, but perform better. this is why silver oxide cells are the most appropriate replacement for mercury batteries. Alkaline batteries are not good for camera meters because they don't have a very flat discharge curve, and this can cause fluctuations in meter readouts in some cameras. if you use alkaline batteries in your camera to power the meter you should replace it before its gets near the end of its life, or you could have issues. they are a waste of money really for this reason.
03-13-2012, 02:26 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by revdocjim Quote

Does it look ugly? Does it appear to keep well? I was thinking to also touch up mine with black nail polish.
03-13-2012, 04:06 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm, 303/357, huh? I think I saw those at Target or Walgreens or somewhere near here. I got a 625 from Amazon with some other stuff just so I could see if the light meter was still functional but I'm thinking that if the other works too I might just go for it. Thanks!

I just found this. I've definitely got to try this. This is a mod so easy even I can't get it wrong I don't think and I do like the idea of the LR44's being in there. They're common as dirt and right now I have like 2 dozen of them because I picked up a bunch of them around just after Christmas at Big Lots when they were selling them off at like a buck for a pack of 5...

http://spiritbeing.multiply.com/photos/album/125

Last edited by magkelly; 03-13-2012 at 04:12 AM.