Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2008, 06:45 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Sorry Woof, it’s not for sale.

You think it will go that high? I clearly do not know the price of these things I suppose.

How much do S models go for? Now you have me curious as to the value of this camera..not that I would ever sell it though.

01-06-2008, 08:44 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
Sorry Woof, it’s not for sale.
I was more or less kidding. Too many irons in the fire at present, and you should keep and shoot it. It's one of the the holy grails of Pentax SLR collecting and you have one that you can shoot without worrying and fussing.

Frankly, I don't know really what it is worth. Not that many come up for sale. I WAY underpaid for mine and was lucky that I found it.

I can't tell the condition of yours. Does it work well? How are the cosmetics? One way of looking at it is that I paid 65.00 for a working version of the AP. It is probably in VG condition. If yours was no better than that, then four times as much based on rarity? But in the end it is what the market will bear, and I have not seen enough of these come up for sale to know. Part of the problem with its rarity. Perhaps you can ask Fred Sherfy? If you do, PM me and let me know what he says...

woof
01-06-2008, 09:15 AM   #18
Inactive Account

I have one dent on the prism housing. One of the top corners is bent a little. You can just see it in the first photo. There is some dust on the viewing screen (The camera has never been cleaned inside so I imagine its normal after all these years). Other then that, everything works beautifully. the film compartment is pristine, and the cloth shutter is in fantastic shape. Basically, no scratched, scuffs other then the one small dent. The small dent doesn’t bother me though, I think it adds character (you can tell I am no collector lol). I have shot a few rolls of film through it, and it works perfectly fine.

the one previous owner who bought it new, kept it very well protected. I asked him about the dent, and his son banged it on something as he was carrying it in his hands. No internal damage done though. The only thing in a little rough marked condition is the leather case

The 55mm f/2.2 has always had an original Asahi Pentax UV filter on it. Oddly enough, the serial number of the lens is 161913. I don't know anything about Pentax's serial number methods, but it is fairly close to the camera bodies 165165. Is it possible they just ramped up the numbers on all their gear at the same time instead of having specific serial numer series for specific products?
01-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #19
Inactive Account

The 55mm f/2.2 has always had an original Asahi Pentax UV filter on it. Oddly enough, the serial number of the lens is 161913. I don't know anything about Pentax's serial number methods, but it is fairly close to the camera bodies 165165. Is it possible they just ramped up the numbers on all their gear at the same time instead of having specific serial numer series for specific products?
It's possible. I am newer to the collecting end of things myself. I know who I can ask. Want to get a few questions together and I'll submit them? Think up whatever you can in terms of what you want to know. I already have the question as to why our numbers are so FAR apart. I want to look at my various serials as well based on your revelation.

I'll probably see if Fred Sherfy will give us the skinny on all of this. Thanks... going for a swim now, so will be out for a few...

woof

01-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Like I said before... I am coming to the conclusion that having less than perfect cameras might be the better way to go. I am afraid to take mine out. Another closet queen. If yours is not pristine, ENJOY IT! Better yet... sell it to ME! Or sell me the kit! Its an awesome find Chako, no matter how you cut it. The first one I can find that is not perfect I will buy.

I am going to make a point of going to more this summer. I've seen and heard these stories too often now.

I'll bet it's going to go for over $400.00. The 58mm lens alone can fetch over $100.00. I predict the winner will from Japan.

woof
The one that made me cry will sell for $295 Canadian, or perhaps a bit less if they accept an offer. That's not a bid price, it's the ticket price in their shop. It's still not in the budget, I'm afraid.

I just have so many beautiful slides and negatives in a cabinet that I took with that model camera, including sports shots - (a dig at people who think slow AF makes a camera no good for sports). How about no AF, no AE and you have to flick the aperture ring to the stop before releasing the shutter! An amazed P&S user clocked me once at five shots in four seconds. I wear glasses, so thumbing my eye while winding was not a serious danger.

I would probably be able to take five shots in four minutes now, and would still forget to stop down.
01-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I'll bet it's going to go for over $400.00. The 58mm lens alone can fetch over $100.00. I predict the winner will from Japan.

woof
How about over $600! Have a look! Any you were close on the location - Taiwan not Japan.
01-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Omg. I am almost afraid to touch my S now.

01-06-2008, 01:04 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Omg. I am almost afraid to touch my S now.
Heh. Don't be. Use this as an opportunity to ** consider ** giving it a nice CLA! Good investment. Let me know if you want a recommendation or two on CLAs. Low or high. Let's just say, I probably would not send it to ... just anyone.

I did put a bid in. I thought it would go mid to high 500's, but there has been a pick-up in interest in the higher end stuff over the past two months or so. Much of the interest is coming out of Asia. These guys who basically don't care what it costs. Great for us as far as I'm concerned.

I am glad I didn't win that AP. It's like taking cash and stuffing it in a mattress. Well, if you look at it as an investment, perhaps it's a little better than that. More than anything, I just don't want or need another closet queen, I'm with you Chako... I'm off to the yard sales this summer... ;-)

woof
01-06-2008, 10:17 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Another nice AP just went...

1958 ASAHI PENTAX ORIGINAL 35mm film SLR w/ 4 Lenses - eBay (item 180202285053 end time Jan-06-08 21:11:08 PST)

This is a little more reasonable. The kit is nice too. That long lens alone may be worth $150-$200.00. Guy did a good deal. I was sitting on my hands to stay out of it.

woof
01-06-2008, 11:35 PM   #25

I've got one of those long lenses - the Schneider-Kreuznach 360/5.5. It was my bargain-of-the-year in 2007; I bought it (and a Pentax-F 28/2.8) for $50 at a flea-market. I think that was a good deal.
01-07-2008, 07:31 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisN Quote
I've got one of those long lenses - the Schneider-Kreuznach 360/5.5. It was my bargain-of-the-year in 2007; I bought it (and a Pentax-F 28/2.8) for $50 at a flea-market. I think that was a good deal.
Nice. I just have to start going to the flea markets and garage sales. You guys are ** killing ** me.

The Schneider lenses are particularly fine. Dad gave me a 1:2.8/135 when he first gave me the Asahi AP. In those days (late 50's) the Germans had the best glass and it WAS really nice stuff. I was not surprised to see all that German glass in that auction for the Asahi. This was a common combination... cutting edge stuff in those days. The fellow who assembled that stuff knew what he was doing and was probably good at it.

Chris, care to post impressions and pics from that lens? I'd be interested. probably a different thread. We should start the "Look what I found" thread. I have only one of these stories, but it's a good one.

woof!