Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Pentaxian

What film for Venice

In a few months I'll be going to Venice again. When I went last year I took my DSLR for colour and my EOS 3 and ME Super for B&W. As much as I love my B&W film, the place looks much better in colour so this year I'm going to do something I haven't done for 10 years and that is to shoot colour film. I'll probably take the K1000 with me. Problem is.... I don't know the first thing about colour film. Could someone help me out with what film is available and how it looks. I'm after something with strong colours and that looks distinctly non-digital.

03-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I used Kodak Ektar: Venice with an MX

I also shot Ektar 100 (colour) and CHS Art 50 (BW) using my Lubitel 2 and took photos with my K20D.

Have fun. I did.

PS. I forgot the LX loaded with Rollei Retro 80.
03-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
In a few months I'll be going to Venice again. When I went last year I took my DSLR for colour and my EOS 3 and ME Super for B&W. As much as I love my B&W film, the place looks much better in colour so this year I'm going to do something I haven't done for 10 years and that is to shoot colour film. I'll probably take the K1000 with me. Problem is.... I don't know the first thing about colour film. Could someone help me out with what film is available and how it looks. I'm after something with strong colours and that looks distinctly non-digital.
what do you mean exactly by 'non-digital'? for professional quality colour film, your choices are very limited. basically you have Fuji and Kodak. there are others available, but on much smaller scales and may not be available readily.

I can't comment much on Fuji, but in terms of Kodak your two main choices are Ektar and Portra for colour negative film and Ektachrome for colour reversal film (although Ektachrome was apparently just discontinued)

if you like strong colours, then Ektar may be your choice. Portra is as the name suggests, designed for portraits. it has a less contrasty colour and gives very even skin tones. better used for people subjects than landscapes, though it can certainly be used in that manner. while Ektar has very punchy colours, very close to the traditional reversal/slide films. a great film for landscapes and vivid colored scenes. i have not used it myself, but I have seen samples that are just brilliant.

here is the link to Kodaks current offerings:
KODAK PROFESSIONAL Films

here are Fuji's offerings:
Films | Fujifilm Global
03-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I used Kodak Ektar: Venice with an MX

I also shot Ektar 100 (colour) and CHS Art 50 (BW) using my Lubitel 2 and took photos with my K20D.

Have fun. I did.

PS. I forgot the LX loaded with Rollei Retro 80.
Really great shots there Kris. I had already noticed both yours and Tuco's fantastic Ektar shots in the "Kodak film" thread.

03-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Vendee. I had a really great time in Venice and was very pleased with the shots I managed.

K.
03-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I think a Kodak slide film would be appropriate, as they are sinking like Venice.
03-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
I think a Kodak slide film would be appropriate, as they are sinking like Venice.
But Venice will still be there 50 years from now