Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Kodak Discontinues slide films :(

I just noticed this news Kodak discontinues three slide films: E100VS, E100G and Elite Chrome Extra Color 100 | Photo Rumors

I'm a film newbie, never shot any slide film before although I've been meaning to give it a go, so when I read this news I ordered 3 rolls of the E100G film from ebay to try it out before it's gone. It's sad that more and more films seem to be disappearing....

Last edited by twitch; 03-01-2012 at 09:12 PM.
03-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep very sad, see the "Kodak Interview .." thread.

Phil
03-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I just noticed this news Kodak discontinues three slide films: E100VS, E100G and Elite Chrome Extra Color 100 | Photo Rumors

I'm a film newbie, never shot any slide film before although I've been meaning to give it a go, so when I read this news I ordered 3 rolls of the E100G film from ebay to try it out before it's gone. It's sad that more and more films seem to be disappearing....
Not a surprise. Hopefully Fuji will stay in production for a while. Those of you who haven't tried slide film should- it's a different experience. On the other hand, for pure quality at the 35mm level, I prefer digital. I shoot lots of film- black and white and some colour neg for special purposes- but dropped slides several years ago. (I have a back catalogue of about 30,000 slides, so I have enough potential slide scanning to keep me out of trouble for a while.)

Certainly, this represents a major shift in photography and gives me a bit of a twinge. I used to love shooting and viewing slides. Didn't love printing Cibachrome but got good results. Ain't the end of the world in terms of photograhic quality, though.

John
03-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have stocked up on 120 E100G and VS also have those films in sheets. Kodak E100G is by far my favourite film for cross processing the neutral tones were less likely to suffer from colour casts the way they do with Fuji films. Same things goes for Bleach bypass processing the Kodak films handle it better.

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
Didn't love printing Cibachrome but got good results.
I never did all that much cibachrome work, though I did do some dye transfer printing which I found to be more satisfying in terms of results - Kodak discontinued making the pan matrix film in 1991, my grandmother stockpiled dye transfer materials and she taught me so I was able to learn now to do it myself. Sadly it is unlikely that I will ever do another dye transfer print for the rest of my life.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-02-2012 at 05:26 PM.
03-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #5

Very sad news. E100G was my favorite general-purpose slide film. I guess Provia will just have to do, though I doubt its skin tones are as good.
03-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p. rex Quote
guess Provia will just have to do, though I doubt its skin tones are as good.
Astia is actually better for skin tone reproduction - provia is a bit cool in the nutral tones - Astia is slightly warmer and has a softer contrast curve, and suffers less from reciprocity failure
03-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #7

Of course, but Astia is also discontinued.

03-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p. rex Quote
Of course, but Astia is also discontinued.
WTF?!? you have to be kidding?
03-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #9

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news:

Google Translate

You can still get it in 120 at reasonable prices on eBay, so if you really want, you can build a freezer stockpile.

*edit* I think that E6 in general is on the way out. I'll be surprised if anyone's still making the film or chemicals in five years.
03-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Very sad indeed, but this may serve to strengthen Fuji's position, as all the Kodak slide film user will have nowhere to go but Fuji.
03-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have stocked up on 120 E100G and VS also have those films in sheets. Kodak E100G is by far my favourite film for cross processing the neutral tones were less likely to suffer from colour casts the way they do with Fuji films. Same things goes for Bleach bypass processing the Kodak films handle it better.

I never did all that much cibachrome work, though I did do some dye transfer printing which I found to be more satisfying in terms of results - Kodak discontinued making the pan matrix film in 1991, my grandmother stockpiled dye transfer materials and she taught me so I was able to learn now to do it myself. Sadly it is unlikely that I will ever do another dye transfer print for the rest of my life.
Did you ever get to try the E100GX version, which was discontinued a couple years ago? It had a slightly “warmer” colour balance than the E100G version.

Phil.
03-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Did you ever get to try the E100GX version, which was discontinued a couple years ago? It had a slightly “warmer” colour balance than the E100G version.
Yes I did but I found it warmed up the neutral tones too much, I preferred the E100G for general purpose work and occasionally I would use E100VS for landscapes E100VS- Kodak's answer to Fuji velvia. I would typically shoot Kodak films during the winter months where their warm colour palette would work to best effect - and I would shoot fuji films during the summer months because of their colder colour palette. The RMS granularity of E100VS was a bit higher than Velvia*, but I have always been more concerned with colour rendition and tone than granularity.

* Fuji Velvia 100F RMS Granularity =9 Vs Kodak E100VS RMS Granularity = 11

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-07-2012 at 06:25 PM.
03-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Convert Quote
Very sad indeed, but this may serve to strengthen Fuji's position, as all the Kodak slide film user will have nowhere to go but Fuji.
Fuji has more of a history of dropping out of non profitable markets than Kodak does. I suspect that slide film is pretty much a dead duck at this point. For those who are going to buy a bunch of it so that they'll have something to shoot in a few years time, expect that processing will not be available within a very few years as well.
03-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the issue is more oriented to tightening (and more costly) environmental regulation oif the manufacture of the chemicals to process the film than it is profit of the film itself.
04-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I suspect that slide film is pretty much a dead duck at this point.
I really do hope that isn't true. I first found slide film last June after scoring eight fresh rolls of Boots Colour Slide for just 10p each! I really want to keep shooting slide as long as I can (hopefully around 10 years) as it's just so beautiful!