Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

K1000 with new Metz flash?

I'm looking at getting an old K1000 and I'm wondering if my new Metz 50 flash that is use with my KX is compatible with it? This may be a dumb question, but I'm new to flash stuff

Thanks.

03-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Wow Metz 50... lot of flash for a K1000... KX or do you mean K-x dSLR? The flash "hot-shoe" on the K1000 is a simple connector and the Metz is a dedicated flash with multiple connectors... as with a dSLR like the K-x. I'm not sure about the Metz, but one of my dedicateds shorts out a bit when mounted on a simple hotshoe. I figure if the hotshoe give enough clearance on the non-conductive portion of the hotshoe then the flash would simple be in a "auto-flash" mode rather than looking for TTL info from the hotshoe... gazuntight.
03-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just tried my Metz 58 AF-2 on my K1000 using 'auto' mode on the flash and it seemed to trigger fine. Don't know what the resulting photo will be since I have a few more photos on that roll.

I think that the Metz flashes are built well enough that if they see any 'shorting' on those other contacts, they just might assume a simple hotshoe. My flash powered up in 'TTL' mode but I then switched it to 'Auto'.

It might be possible to paste a small bit of thin paper or self-adhesive plastic on the camera hotshoe cutting out around the main trigger connection. If the flash fits, then the other pins would just see 'nothing' rather than shorting out.

Hope this helps.
03-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
It's the flash for my dslr K-x, sorry, not KX. I'll play around with it all and see what happens, should be fun!

Kyler

03-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
... in general, if the flash can be set to 'auto' mode then it will work on old hot shoe cameras. "Auto" uses a sensor on the flash itself to figure exposure and should have some kind of indication of what stop to set your lens to. My daughter's Metz 36AF-5 doesn't have these controls, so she's limited to using it on her k-x. Looking at B&H's entry for the 50 makes it look like the same situation there.
03-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
... in general, if the flash can be set to 'auto' mode then it will work on old hot shoe cameras. "Auto" uses a sensor on the flash itself to figure exposure and should have some kind of indication of what stop to set your lens to. My daughter's Metz 36AF-5 doesn't have these controls, so she's limited to using it on her k-x. Looking at B&H's entry for the 50 makes it look like the same situation there.
I think the simple hot shoe only act as a trigger.
This is no communication between the lens and K1000 (for exposure and aperture) becase K1000 simply does not support it.
Everything is manual on K1000 so you have to use the flash as a manual flash on it.