Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #1

K1000 Questions

Hey, there. I'm from Argentina and new to the forums. For a few years now I've been interested in photography, however, it wasn't 'til a couple of months ago I decided to finally get my first "student's camera". So, after reading a lot about photography and recommended cameras for beginners (for which the forums were very useful in providing me with reviews and such) I finally decided going with a film camera, and not just any camera, but a Pentax. I really feel this is the beginning of a long relationship.

So, my K1000 arrived today. I've been testing it and let me tell you, it's like no one ever used it before (I was lucky). It feels really comfty in my big hands (very heavy, though) and obviously, I got to experience that "sturdy" feeling it has that everyone talks about.

However, being conscious about what's inside of this little marvel and knowing how fragile some of it's components are, I'd really like to know what I absolutely MUST avoid when manipulating this camera. I know I must not touch the shutter curtain or the mirror. Is there anything else you could provide as a general rule?

Maybe it's just an impression, but when moving the rapid-wind lever I really feel like I could break something. This leads me to another important question I wanted to ask. What would happen if, by mistake, I turn the rapid-wind lever and then forget about it (maybe because I got distracted by a girl passing by) and then, without pressing the shutter release I turn the lever again. Could something go very wrong by doing this?

Anyway, happy to be here. I'll post results of my first shootings soon.

Cheers!
J.

03-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's pretty hard to break a K1000- it's fully mechanical and quite a workshorse. Don't go touching the mirror or the shutter, but even if you do, chances are you won't cause any permanent damage.

The lever cannot be moved once the film is fully wound. If you end up only partially winding it, you'll be able to finish in a second go.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hi J.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums! Your K1000 is sturdy and pretty hard to mess up in normal use with reasonable care. If you haven't already done so, download the manual from:

Pentax K 1000 instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

Remember to drop him a few coins via PayPal if you value what he provides. I would suggest that you check the foam light seals and the bumper for the mirror foam too. Take a toothpick and touch the material. If it is sticky and/or not springy and/or not even there, replacement is in order. This is particularly true in regards to the mirror bumper. The foam turns to goo with age and the mirror slings it onto the focus screen where it may be difficult to remove.

Steve
03-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hey. Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I really should trust more in what people say about this camera. It's good to hear about that half-winding thing. I came across that problem a couple of times while testing the camera and I thought it was some kind of mechanical problem. It wouldn't let me release the shutter until I half-turned the lever again. I guess I wasn't winding it to the very end. Now I check the orange dot by the lever.

03-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hi Steve.

Luckily my K1000 came with it's original printed manual, inside of it's original box. It even has the receipt from 1980.

I'll make sure to check the light seals, as you say. The person who sold the camera to me said they were OK (I asked him). In case the need to replace them comes up, is this something I could do by myself?
03-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
KGH

Photos: Gallery
I still have my K1000, although mine was new in 1990, it was my first camera. If you ever decide to get fancy, you can press the rewind button on bottom, wind the film advance, release the rewind button, in that order, and you will take a double exposure. This can be very fun and creative.
03-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by J. Fabiano Quote
Hi Steve.

Luckily my K1000 came with it's original printed manual, inside of it's original box. It even has the receipt from 1980.

I'll make sure to check the light seals, as you say. The person who sold the camera to me said they were OK (I asked him). In case the need to replace them comes up, is this something I could do by myself?
Yes, you can, and it's not difficult if you take your time and do it carefully. I highly recommend Jon Goodman's seal kits - they are made for nearly every model SLR out there, and come pre-cut with full instructions and a small tool to help you. You can contact him at: JGood21967@aol.com

I just re-did the seals on my Spotmatic - in fact, the kit is the same one used for your K1000. Good luck with your new 'old' camera!

edit: I see you're in Argentina - I'm not sure Jon ships internationally, but you can ask. I've also seen kits listed on evil-bay as well.

03-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #8

Original Poster
Well, the thing is I'm in Argentina, and I think shipping would be not only long but complicated.

I've just checked the light seals and I think they'll need some work done. The ones in the back are very stiff. They are there, but they seem dry.

Now, the mirror damper is very thin and is not thick enough to be "bouncy".

Are these signs of bad light seals?

I've seen a replacing method that involves wool thread... anyone tried this?
03-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Congrats on Buying a Great Camera

What everyone has said about the K1000 being pretty tough is true. I bought mine used in the early 80s and I abused it pretty badly throughout the 80s and 90s before I finally wised up and realized what a great little camera it really was. But even with all that neglect and abuse mine has held up really well. I have a couple of old K lenses that are sure showing the scars of that abuse, I wouldn't dare trying to sell them on E-Bay as bad as they look. But the camera is still hanging in there.

Anyway, enjoy your new camera, use it, and don't worry about it too much. If for some reason it does break there are people who can fix it. Have fun and take some pictures to show us.
03-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #10

Original Poster
Hey, that's great advice, Pioneer. Thanks
03-10-2012, 03:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J. Fabiano Quote
I'd really like to know what I absolutely MUST avoid when manipulating this camera.
You absolutely must avoid not using it!

You might find the following accessories useful with the K1000 such as 2X magnifier for even better critical focusing.

Also, if you want to include yourself in the picture, a self timer.

03-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
You absolutely must avoid not using it!

Also, if you want to include yourself in the picture, a self timer.
I love that timer. Have to find one. (Darn that GAS)
03-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yes, the timer is great. Try searching eBay for "Pentax self timer" -- there are a few.
The only thing I ever did to damage my K1000 was screwing the cable release in too tight. If you have one (or a timer), it doesn't have to be screwed in hard, just enough to catch. I overdid it, then couldn't get it out, it just went round & round, & the shutter button stopped working. $100 for a few seconds' stupidity.
Keep it clean, dry it off if it gets wet... don't drop it on any rocks... pretty obvious stuff. It's really pretty sturdy.
As a friend said to me, "It's the best camera ever made. You could hammer nails with it."

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...in regards to the mirror bumper. The foam turns to goo with age and the mirror slings it onto the focus screen where it may be difficult to remove.
Aha. I bet that's what that spot is. What should I remove it with?
03-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by KGH Quote
If you ever decide to get fancy, you can press the rewind button on bottom, wind the film advance, release the rewind button, in that order, and you will take a double exposure.
Does that work on the ME Super, too? Never thought about trying that...
03-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

J:
"(maybe because I got distracted by a girl passing by)
and then, without pressing the shutter release I turn the lever again.
Could something go very wrong by doing this?"

Answer: Yes.. JUST FORGET about that LEVER one time and go chase... ?Comprende?