Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yellowing in a Super-Tak 55/1.8

Bonjour, (This is a second post of my same question in Manual Focus group.)

I was finally looking closer at my newest and most recent acquisition in some real light today ... its' been a long cloudy winter thus far in my corner of France.

I noticed a kind of slight yellowish tint more in the middle of the optics ... thanks to some bright sunlight exposure. Is this a tell-tale sign of a "yellowing" of this lens (of this era)? It's a Super-Takumar 55mm f 1.8 (n° 1790569) and it could it be the typical rear element yellowing(?). If so, what to do ... a sun bath or two for a few weeks?! Any other techniques?

Any advice and/or previously discussed links to guide me would be greatly appreciated ... I have found and read a few older threads here in this PF section.

Mille merci, John le Frog

03-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It does sound like typical yellowing of that era lens. Direct UV should fix it up fairly quicly. I like mine with the yellow, gives pictures a warmer tone.
03-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Saw your previous posts ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It does sound like typical yellowing of that era lens. Direct UV should fix it up fairly quicly. I like mine with the yellow, gives pictures a warmer tone.
Bonsoir Docrwm,

I saw where you had previously mentioned that the yellowing added a warmer effect ... part of my inner debate "to UV or not to UV".

Merci encore, J
03-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
Bonsoir Docrwm,

I saw where you had previously mentioned that the yellowing added a warmer effect ... part of my inner debate "to UV or not to UV".

Merci encore, J
besides the obvious affect on colour tint, a yellowed lens technically makes the lens slower, depending on how yellowed the lens is. so it won't be able to gather as much light as a non-yelowed 1.8 lens. this is one of the reasons I chose a modern Zeiss over a classic Takumar for my 50. the yellowing will also come back eventually. this is no good when using a film like Portra, not so much a big deal on digital though I suppose.

03-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
besides the obvious affect on colour tint, a yellowed lens technically makes the lens slower, depending on how yellowed the lens is. so it won't be able to gather as much light as a non-yelowed 1.8 lens. this is one of the reasons I chose a modern Zeiss over a classic Takumar for my 50. the yellowing will also come back eventually. this is no good when using a film like Portra, not so much a big deal on digital though I suppose.
Rub it in...

Steve

(Really should get a Zeiss or VG while they are still available...but I have SOOOO many 50s!)
03-13-2012, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can use this to clear up your lens.

Fastest Tool to clear yellowed Thorium lenses | Nortega
03-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Bonsoir Docrwm,

Merci encore, J
Bonsoir John,

Mon conseil pour vous est de prendre beaucoup de photos avec le jaune et voir comment les images se tournent vers vous. Essayez de nombreux réglages d'ouverture et de types différents de photographies. Il est certainement une préférence personnelle et j'ai aussi un SuperTak 50/1.4 qui n'est pas jauni et j'ai donc le meilleur des deux mondes.

Bonne chance,

-Robert

03-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Although I'm sure I'm wrong about this, I haven't heard of a 55 yellowing - it's the 50/1.4 that does so. How subtle is this - it could be the SMC coating as this has a color cast when looked at...

Here's a couple 55's - can't really see the coating color but certainly one can see the effectiveness in cutting down reflections:

Here's a couple of properly yellowed 50/1.4's - the Super being older is darker

03-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
You can use this to clear up your lens.

Fastest Tool to clear yellowed Thorium lenses | Nortega
Merci,

There's an IKEA about 100 km (60 miles) north of me in Tours ... Sometimes I go up there for work, thus guess what's now on my shopping list?!

JANSJÖ Lampe de travail - IKEA

Salut, J
03-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Bonne idée ...

Bonsoir John,

Mon conseil pour vous est de prendre beaucoup de photos avec le jaune et voir comment les images se tournent vers vous. Essayez de nombreux réglages d'ouverture et de types différents de photographies. Il est certainement une préférence personnelle et j'ai aussi un SuperTak 50/1.4 qui n'est pas jauni et j'ai donc le meilleur des deux mondes.

Bonne chance,

-Robert
C'est très malin ... merci pour vos conseils! J

03-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Although I'm sure I'm wrong about this, I haven't heard of a 55 yellowing ...
Bonsoir Nesster,

Thanks for your post and photos ... I, too, had not really seen nor remember seeing any "yellowing" issues for a 55. That's kind of why I posted the thread.

Compared to your photo samples, I'd say that my yellowing is quite minor, relatively speaking ... and maybe I'm making a big fuss out of nothing (as usual, ask my wife).

Merci encore, J Frog
03-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

C'est très malin ... merci pour vos conseils! J

Ce n'était rien. S'il vous plaît faites le nous savoir ce que vous pensez une fois que vous avez fait votre petite expérience.
03-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Rub it in...

Steve

(Really should get a Zeiss or VG while they are still available...but I have SOOOO many 50s!)
well, you know I debated over it for a long while. (all the while looking at my hoard of 55's) despite the cost, I don't regret that decision. easily the best lens I've ever purchased. even the m42 version is pretty big, but it adds great balance to the camera. it may be looked at as just an expensive brand, and a takumar can deliver the same or better image quality, and that may be true but I love this lens. a lot. a Zeiss an SV and a roll of Portra=heaven.
03-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Although I'm sure I'm wrong about this, I haven't heard of a 55 yellowing - it's the 50/1.4 that does so. How subtle is this - it could be the SMC coating as this has a color cast when looked at..
That is what I was thinking. A yellowish 55/1.8 is not impossible, but the yellowing is more typically associated with the thoriated (radioactive) lenses of the period and the 55/1.8 lacks the exotic glass.

Steve

(The yellowing of the thoriated lenses is due to radiation-induced degradation of the balsam cement used to glue the lens elements together. No radiation, less chance of degradation.)
03-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
C'est bien noté ... 5 sur 5

Ce n'était rien. S'il vous plaît faites le nous savoir ce que vous pensez une fois que vous avez fait votre petite expérience.
Pas de problème ... et à plus tard (ou "A+"), J