Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #1

Very very weird Pentax ME Super light meter readings, please help!

I've recently started using my dad's old Pentax Me Super which has been in storage and unused for the last 20 years, I've finished a roll and I'm getting it developed tomorrow but I've noticed extremely weird light meter readings. I went with what the camera suggested but I think I shouldn't have and I'm thinking probably more than half the roll won't turn out.

Just to give an example, it was a very sunny day and I had 100 iso film and it was giving me shutter speeds of 2000 and 1000 at 16 and 22 apertures. Sometimes it wouldn't even let me use appertures lower to 22 or 16 on shaded areas because the over exposed on the light meter would blink and even at those times it kept giving me shutter speeds of 500 and 1000 in the shade with a appertures 22 or 16!

I'm still new to photography but surely that is not right? Shouldn't it be about 125 speed with 100 iso film and 16 apperture in sunny conditions?

I'm really upset and sad as I was really excited about the camera and I think it is not working properly. What should I do? I really want to use this camera but I know I would get charged ALOT of money for repair and I don't want to pay a lot for something that you guys might now an easy fix for?

Thanks in advance!

03-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are the batteries new?
03-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
They are the batteries that were inside the camera, I'm guessing for the last 20 years. I know that reading that most of you think I'm an idiot but the LED's always glow continuously and never flicker, and I was told that if the LEDs glow continuously then it doesn't matter because it means the batteries are good!
03-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My only recommendation is to check your readings with a known good reference - another camera or lightmeter. Depending on the film type, it can probably tolerate 2 stops under or 5 stops over while processed normally. If you can thereafter compensate using the exposure compensation dial then great. Otherwise, it's off to Eric which is always a good idea for Pentax camera checkups anyway.

03-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
Closed Account

Just get a set of new batteries. And clean the battery compartment while you are at it
03-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hilo Quote
Just get a set of new batteries. And clean the battery compartment while you are at it
+1 The MESuper meter and LED display (the electronics behind them) are quite dependent on proper voltage. Even if they will power the VF lights 20-year-old batteries are highly unlikely to be satisfactory.

You want LR44, 367 or the new number which is, I think, 303. Packets have all the old numbers cross-referenced in the back. They're about $4 for two.
03-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your problem could be related to bad contacts of the ISO wheel. This is quite common with older ME Super bodies (I had 2 of them). If this is the reason, turning it several times all the way may cure the problem for some time. If it gets so bad you have to do it prior to every shot, you can't avoid to invest in CLA.

03-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
I second RKKS08. Spinning the dial from 12 to 1600 ASA as well as 1/4X to 4X will give those brushes (see below) a workout... otherwise a good cleaning will be needed (CLA: clean-lube-adjust).