Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Overpriced? I should think so

Saw a Pentax PZ-20 for sale today, in a second-hand photography shop. It was priced at 650 lei, which, according to the latest exchange rates, is equivalent to $266 US. It came with a Tamron AF 28-105mm lens. It wasn't in very good condition.

The same camera + 70-200 lens + 3 filters + tamrac case is on sale on eBay for $125 US.

Since Romania is a borderline second-world country, wouldn't someone expect prices to be reasonably lower?

This is not an isolated case...

01-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Supply and demand ... I would guess the supply of vintage western cameras might be slim in Romania.

Used camera stores and thrift-stores in Canada are loaded with the cameras that were the most popular ones 20 to 30 years ago. Once people clean out their closets (or sadly, pass away) all of those once-popular cameras appear in the stores. It's very localized.

What was popular in Romania 20 to 30 years ago? Zenit? Kiev? Not sure what was on the local market in Romania, but that's what I would expect to see now. Anything that was an expensive import 20 years ago would continue to be unusual and therefore expensive.
01-09-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Supply and demand ... I would guess the supply of vintage western cameras might be slim in Romania.
My thought exactly. It might provide you a nice sideline... ;-)

woof
01-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote

Used camera stores and thrift-stores in Canada are loaded with the cameras that were the most popular ones 20 to 30 years ago. Once people clean out their closets (or sadly, pass away) all of those once-popular cameras appear in the stores. It's very localized.

What was popular in Romania 20 to 30 years ago? Zenit? Kiev? Not sure what was on the local market in Romania, but that's what I would expect to see now. Anything that was an expensive import 20 years ago would continue to be unusual and therefore expensive.
You have a point. Zorki/Zenit/FED were usually "consumer" models, while models built in Dresden, by Pentacon (Praktica, Exakta) were considered to be "pro". Kiev were producing mostly MF cameras, and those didn't sell that well.

Indeed, I found it a strange thing that a Praktica MTL5 (a body I use) was selling for more than a Pentax ME Super, on eBay. Maybe because it's more of a rarity than the Japanese camera?

If you're ever in Romania, and want an antique (20s-40s model) camera, drop me a line. They sell here for about $50; and they're in working condition.