Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2008, 02:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The absolute cheapest crappy color film does very well if you use it with the intention of doing black and white conversions on the images and is very often cheaper and more convenient than using black and white film to begin with.

01-16-2008, 02:20 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The absolute cheapest crappy color film does very well if you use it with the intention of doing black and white conversions on the images and is very often cheaper and more convenient than using black and white film to begin with.
True. That was the only use I found for Dollar Store film.

That and scratch testing (shoot a roll, open the back of the camera, and check for scratching).
01-16-2008, 10:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I use the local drug store for my C41 film . They do a smaller scan but It treat it as "contact sheet " before I go to the 'pro" lab for the greater scan I needed . I also use the pro lab for non-C41 films or the "serious" stuff . Yes , they are expensive but then you will know for sure that roll of film was done correctly . If you have a bad photo , you can't blame the lab . Also I shoot film for fun so there is no rush to finish it off . One "expensive " roll for now and then is not bad at all . Just divide the "cost " into the "hour" of pleasure the film bring to you : It's very cheap for keeping your soul happy in this day and age .

I also ask for deal : " What do you have to get rid of ? " , half-jokingly . They do need to sale the films after all . So I do get a good deal sometimes though I know i will develop the
taste " for a ceirtin film later on and I will buy it whether it's on sale or not .
01-17-2008, 04:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I agree with you about not being in a rush and shooting film for fun. Yesterday I got back a roll of medium format film I shot with my brownie. We put them on the light table and my local pro took a look at them. He recognized the scene in half of the roll, as it was a local elementary school band performance he had also shot......last summer. "You're just now finishing off that roll?" Well, yeah. But I've shot probably seven or eight thousand pictures with my K100D in the interim.

When I dropped the film off they told me it would take at least a week to get it back, and I told them it was no rush. (I usually get Fuji color film back in two to three days, and Koday in 4 or five days).

01-18-2008, 12:02 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's funny, I got this 12 exp roll that I want to run through and check out how the camera is functioning, that's all. I still have 4 shots left. I'm like planning out each shot, lol. Heck, I shot double that amount tonight trying to take a dumb self portrait with bounce flash with my K10D and the Viv285HV.
I just scored an AF280T on ebay for $47 and after I won the auction I remembered....I haven't made sure the camera is operating correctly yet by getting some film exposed. The guy that was selling the AF280T said he'd used it on his K10D in manual mode and it worked fine. Can anyone confirm the AF280T's trigger voltage is safe to use on the K10D? It's not as powerful as the Viv285HV but it does have the swivel head which would be cool for bouncing the flash in portrait mode and on the Super Program it's a TTL flash. I still haven't pulled the trigger on a flash bracket yet. Heck all I have to do is get some triggers and I'll have two flashes to fool around with off camera like Mike!:-)
01-18-2008, 07:19 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Medium format for me typically works out to about a buck of expense for every time I press the shutter. Damned right I plan out my shots. Not coincidentally, I get a far, far higher percentage of "useable" images when shooting medium format.

The AF280T should be just fine. Even better, since it is dedicated you can put your camera in P (or maybe some of the other automated modes as well), set the flash to one of the "auto" modes, and your camera will automatically set shutter speed and aperture for you. Total no-brainer. Even if you change the ISO the flash will reset the aperture for you accordingly.

I use the AF200T (two of them), which have neither bounce nor swivel. Since I use them off camera the lack of those features is not an issue.
01-18-2008, 08:26 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just a few months ago I got an MX in my hands. I basically did that in order to follow a photo course and change my current pathetic profession (software developer). So I quitted my job, started looking for a new one in the photography industry and joined a photography course in Athens. Things didn't turned out as I expected them to turn (a stolen car and both parents in surgery where enough to dive me to bankruptcy) so I had to quit my plans and go back to my old job asap. Happily I managed to keep my photo equipment plus some development materials for old technology B&W films (Tmax, Ilford Pro etc.).
So now I shoot and develop my own films whenever my job schedule allows me to and the my fiancee permit me to (I use a small bathroom and make the whole home smells terrible. However, although I wish I had a scanner for scanning the negatives I cannot justify such a purchase any more so basically I send them to a local photo store to scan them and store the files in a CD for €5. I now it is quite strange to pay for something that you also can get it from your digital SLR (well almost…) for free.
But anyways, I am happy reading I am not the only lunatic here moving from digital to film

01-18-2008, 08:51 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Medium format for me typically works out to about a buck of expense for every time I press the shutter. Damned right I plan out my shots. Not coincidentally, I get a far, far higher percentage of "useable" images when shooting medium format.
Ditto. After shooting mostly digital (snap, snap, snap...) for the past year or so, I nearly break out in a sweat whenever my finger gets near the shutter release on my Hasselblad. But I usually end up with 3 or 4 print-worthy shots per roll of 12 (25-33%), as opposed to about 700 out of 16,000 shots on my K100D that I've uploaded to Flickr (~4%). Of course, I usually have several nearly identical ones to choose from on the K100D, but still. I find I often hardly think at all before hitting the shutter release.

There's one thing digital has going for it -- I'm a lot more open to experimentation.
01-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by celetron Quote
But anyways, I am happy reading I am not the only lunatic here moving from digital to film
It's people like you that give me hope for the future of film!
01-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I got my first roll developed and the camera is fine! Everything is working properly, metering properly and all that stuff.
Well, except for shake reduction, that's not working properly, lol.
02-25-2008, 02:50 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Eaglerapids, I've got just three things to say, at least one of which is sure to help:

1) cut back on the coffee;
2) try meditation;
3)Tripod!