Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

Oops.

So I got the first roll back from my new (to me) KM and I was puzzled by a couple of photos that had light leaks. Then I realized both of them occurred after two completely overexposed photos. So...I think I must have had the shutter set to "Bulb" instead of 1000 on the really overexposed shots, and that let too much light into the next shots. Doh! Does that sound like the right explanation?

Example:

The rest look pretty good (despite using 400 film on a sunny day at noon - dumb me). I'll post a couple in the "share your photos" thread.

04-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This shouldn't be possible. With "B" the shutter should close when you release the button. And the frame where the film is pressed against should act as a light seal to prevent light leaking to the next/previous part of the film.

But as the KM has a rubberised cloth shutter which moves horizontal like the MX (unlike the ME Super with a metal shutter moving vertical), I would rather think the second curtain is closing too late or too slow. Sometimes this can be fixed with CLA, but not always.

EDIT:
One of my Russian Zorkis has the same problem, but only at 1/30 sec, and only if I shoot in a slightly downward angle. And it depends strongly on history (how long the shutter was not used, and which exposure times were used prior to the shot). Cleaning improved the situation, but didn't totally fix the issue. But I have a second Zorki body, which does not show this error (but shortcuts the flash contact all the time instead - you can't have everything).

Last edited by RKKS08; 04-01-2012 at 03:20 PM.
04-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the explanation. I'm going to send it in for a CLA before too long, so hopefully if it's a shutter issue it can be fixed. I'll also be more careful on the next roll and see if it shows up again. Maybe I can isolate the specific conditions in which it occurs, like you did with your Zorki. (I've always been fascinated by those....)
04-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kc.virginia Quote
Thank you for the explanation. I'm going to send it in for a CLA before too long, so hopefully if it's a shutter issue it can be fixed. I'll also be more careful on the next roll and see if it shows up again. Maybe I can isolate the specific conditions in which it occurs, like you did with your Zorki. (I've always been fascinated by those....)
Be sure to send it to Eric at www.Pentaxs.com. He is the best - and the evaluation costs you nothing.

And BTW, if I could walk out the front door into the Shenandoah Valley I'd be in heaven (and take more photographs). If I could turn back time I'd make my 4th great-grandfather stay home.