Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Need some quick brown body K1000 SE facts before purchase.

I may be going to look at a brown fake leather bodied K1000 SE soon.
I was under the impression that all brown bodies were early production Japanese produced cameras, but looking at the pic here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/51190-k1000-se...-database.html (upper right pic of the group in Ole's post) I see a brown body that doesn't specifically say JAPAN like the black one in the pic below that.

SO, could you verify what a brown body is and how they were marked?

Also run over the things specific to these to check. I won't have a proper battery so I know I'll have to do the ISO 100 and B battery check 1st to verify the battery (full up on light meter is good? what is ok and what is bad?) and then compare the light meter to the K20D with same lens and anything else I bring with.

If I buy it I will be paying $70 for the camera with an M50 F2 and a "Chinar zoom Marco 1:4:5 210mm lens" an aftermarket camera case,vintage strap worthy of a hipster, a pentax flash that I have seen before (its a cheaper one with the red dot in the lens)

I feel that I could get a better deal off the net or on a newer one, but these are so hit and miss at their age that having one I can inspect in person is worth something and I really want an early production brown body (assuming that fact is true) and and SE model because I like the split prism (does it still have the micro prism or whatever around it?) and I believe extra ISO options?

EDIT: I'll just buy a new battery to be 100% sure, what is the current known compatible model #?

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 04-04-2012 at 09:02 PM.
04-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
$70 is an OK price. If you plan to keep it for 20 years plan to have Eric do a CLA - another $70 with shipping.

I believe the new Energizer model is 357/303 (SR44/LR44/S76). I just loaded two of those in my K2DMD. My daughter had a K1000SE about 10 years ago that had a tiny gold "Hong Kong" sticker on the base near the battery cover. I believe those cameras were made of metal parts but assembled in Hong Kong.

It should have a Split/prism (45 degrees) / microprism ring / matte focusing screen.

All your questions are answered at these two links - they'll be helpful to familiarize yourself visually with what you are looking for.

K-Mount Page link Ken Rockwell link

Good luck! She enjoyed the camera!
04-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cool, thanks. If it doesn't say Japan stamped on the back I plan to pass, I have a my S.P. for film so I can afford to wait for the brown bodied Japanese built one I want for retro shooting as well as for collecting purposes. We will see, the people haven't emailed me back with country identification yet.

And Eric will be getting up close and personal with this one as soon as I get it if its Japanese.

EDIT: I thought 357 was a cross for that # but it looks like its .05 volts too high which may fool with the light meter, better use LR44 then, er scratch that SR44 is apparently more voltage constant.
ok enough editing:
http://biz.maxell.com/products/materials/micro_battery.html
this chart conflicts with what some people say, this is frustrating

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 04-04-2012 at 09:22 PM.
04-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Cool, thanks. If it doesn't say Japan stamped on the back I plan to pass, I have a my S.P. for film so I can afford to wait for the brown bodied Japanese built one I want for retro shooting as well as for collecting purposes. We will see, the people haven't emailed me back with country identification yet.

And Eric will be getting up close and personal with this one as soon as I get it if its Japanese.

EDIT: I thought 357 was a cross for that # but it looks like its .05 volts too high which may fool with the light meter, better use LR44 then, er scratch that SR44 is apparently more voltage constant.
ok enough editing:
maxell:MICRO BATTERY Cross Reference and Replacement Guide
this chart conflicts with what some people say, this is frustrating
None of the K1000SE's were made in Japan. In Ole's picture all it says is "Asahi Opt. Co.", the made in "Japan" is missing. The only "Japan" made K1000s were the first ones released in 1976-77.
Phil.

04-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmm, now I have a whole pile of wrenches to pull out of the works.
If we are 100% certain that there are no Japanese K1000 SE's (not that I doubt you but I've already read a ton of conflicting info) then I would probably buy this one simply because it is brown and I for some reason think it looks super unique in a black camera world.
04-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Hmm, now I have a whole pile of wrenches to pull out of the works.
If we are 100% certain that there are no Japanese K1000 SE's (not that I doubt you but I've already read a ton of conflicting info) then I would probably buy this one simply because it is brown and I for some reason think it looks super unique in a black camera world.
The K1000SE’s were technically made in Japan, as they were assembled in Hong Kong. So yes the camera parts were still made in Japan at that point. However all the SE’s I’ve ever seen have no “Japan” engraved on the back of the body, beside “Asahi Opt. Co.” and the s/n are not stamped on the top like the other K Series bodies. The early K1000’s that came with the K55/2 were the only MIJ ones. (1976 – 1977).

Top is a K1000 MIJ with a K55/2.
Bottom is a K1000SE.

Phil.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E4800  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E4800  Photo 

Last edited by gofour3; 04-05-2012 at 10:45 AM.