Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #1

Help with broken rewind crank on K1000 [urgent]

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello, I'm new here, as you can see.
I'm a photography student and recently just started using a 35mm camera.

The only setback is that the camera I received has a broken wind crank. It does still pull up to open the cover, but the crank part is broken clean off. I finished a roll of film while shooting, released the film, but I clearly can't rewind it. It's also the weekend, so i have no access to the darkroom at school to process it. I still want to shoot more photos during the weekend.

Is there anyway I can rewind the film back in the canister?

Photo of my sad, broken crank

04-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RotisserieChicken Quote

The only setback is that the camera I received has a broken wind crank. It does still pull up to open the cover, but the crank part is broken clean off. I finished a roll of film while shooting, released the film, but I clearly can't rewind it. It's also the weekend, so i have no access to the darkroom at school to process it. I still want to shoot more photos during the weekend.

You could try and manufacture your own crank or use some pliers to turn the crank.
(Clockwise direction when the camera is in the shooting position.)

Phil.
Attached Images

04-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Or what I have done in the past for some rewinding mishaps or respooling film is go into a closet or bathroom with no windows, make sure the adjoining rooms lights are off/window blinds closed, and with no light give my eyes a couple minutes to adjust in the dark. I should see absolute darkness. Any light spilling around the door frame can be blocked with towels or whatever. Once that is fixed, you can open the camera, gently pull out the film, and rewind the film canister by hand.

I've done this several times with no issues. To be extra safe if you are a bit unsure, you can place the camera in a lightproof bag while doing the above method, just to be sure no hidden light leaks will reach your film.
04-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
If you plan to continue shooting film for awhile, I would recommend investing in a decent film changing bag. Something like this:
Bower Changing Bag - 27 x 30" DB304 B&H Photo Video

Most bags are fairly portable if you want to carry it around and can come in handy for such urgencies at home or in the field. And you may one day decide to go for loading your own bulk film so it would come in handy for that as well.

Not an absolute necessity for you at the moment(unless you don't fix the crank), but it possibly could be in the future.

04-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cscurrier Quote
Or what I have done in the past for some rewinding mishaps or respooling film is go into a closet or bathroom with no windows, make sure the adjoining rooms lights are off/window blinds closed, and with no light give my eyes a couple minutes to adjust in the dark. I should see absolute darkness. Any light spilling around the door frame can be blocked with towels or whatever. Once that is fixed, you can open the camera, gently pull out the film, and rewind the film canister by hand.

I've done this several times with no issues. To be extra safe if you are a bit unsure, you can place the camera in a lightproof bag while doing the above method, just to be sure no hidden light leaks will reach your film.
+1 on this method. It works as long as your're reeeeeaaaaally careful and are comfortable enough with your camera to manipulate it in absolute darkness.
04-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RotisserieChicken Quote

You might be able to make a temporary rewind knob using something like a small bottle cap. Drill a very small hole in the cap and attach it to the rewind crank shaft using the screw that atttached the broken crank. The bottle cap would go threaded side up. The cap would probably have a tendency to rotate on the shaft, but a dab of something like nail polish in the appropriate spots might help lock things in place. Main thing is to be careful not to damage the screw. Good luck!

John
04-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What happens if you just put a screwdriver on the screw? (while pushing button on bottom of course) This must be a chinese K1000 or some other model, it doesn't look like either my K1000 SE or my Super Program.

04-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I lift my rewinding handle there is a small slot where the knob rests when folded in. I would try a small screw driver into that hole maybe a dull nail. That should work as a temporary rewind knob. As others have pointed out don't forget to hold the small release button on the bottom while rewinding.
04-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
What happens if you just put a screwdriver on the screw? (while pushing button on bottom of course) This must be a chinese K1000 or some other model, it doesn't look like either my K1000 SE or my Super Program.
That would probably work, but there is the risk of damaging the screw head.
04-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
Forum Member

Pentax K1000 Rewind Knob - Buy Genuine Pentax Parts | eBay