Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Program Meter

I own a Program Plus and Super Program that have the same problem. The meter intermittently will not work. In the view finder it reads ‘1000’ this happens in ‘A’ and manual aperture. Then other times it works just fine. Not sure but, I think the problem could be the shutter button. Could it be they haven’t seen sunlight in years and there is a coating on the contacts similar to cleaning the battery and lens contacts? If I take the top off, would it be safe to use an aerosol contact cleaner?
Is there a bigger problem on the horizon or . . . ?

What do you think

04-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is what is displayed after the back has been opened. It will continue to display "1000" until there have been three shutter/wind cycles. If you don't already have one, you can download a copy of the manual from the Pentax Web site or from the Butkus site (Pentax Super Program, pentax super A,)

Just so you don't feel dumb, this question comes up fairly frequently from new owners of these two cameras.

If you are seeing "1000" at other times, there is the chance that the switch that detects whether the film door is closed is not working properly. Jammed with gummed up bad light seal foam perhaps?

Steve
04-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If you are seeing "1000" at other times, there is the chance that the switch that detects whether the film door is closed is not working properly. Jammed with gummed up bad light seal foam perhaps?
Steve

I just replaced the light seals on the cameras. So, some crud might be in the switch, I’ll need the magnifying glass and check on that a little closer. On the 2nd camera I did notice that I forgot remove a 1/8" of seal expose the switch. Removed that, now seems to work fine.

Thank You for your help.