Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #1

Pentax ME Super light meter always over exposed

So, finally after a long wait I managed to get yesterday my M42 adaptor, to couple to my 2 lenses.
I bought the camera in February, got it in March, waited for another month for the bloody adaptor... shot 12 photos and now the light meter shows always OVER, no matter which f stop, even with the lens cap on. (Auto mode) The UNDER led blinks once together with the OVER led which instead remain fixed.
In Manual the same occurs, but the OVER led flickers and I can select normally the exposure. Also the MAN led is lit.
Batteries are new, the camera shot probably 30 times in total with those batteries, and most of the time when there was not film in 125x (no battery usage)
I read the manual but nothing is written about it, anybody with similar experiences?
This camera is uber unlucky...

Thanks,
L.

04-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Never had that problem.

Does the ISO setting match the film speed?

Set it to auto and the lens to f/8 for sunlight. The 125 is for flash sync only if I recall correctly.
04-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
!25th is the only shutter speed that doesn't require the battery (as well as being the flash sync speed).

The behaviour doesn't sound normal, I'm afraid. You probably need a service/repair.

K.
04-16-2012, 01:05 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys, the speed film is correct, as said this light shows in any f stop, even with lens cap on (pitch black).
125✕ and B are in fact the only settings where the light meter doesn't lit up at all, together with L.

This morning I remembered I had another pack of fresh batteries and tried them on the body - nothig changed.
I did some experiments though, shooting at f/22 to my cat in a indoor environment and shooting at the garden with f/1.8 gave the same shutter speed (at least it sounded the same) as 125✕. And also with the lens cap on. This in Auto mode.

I don't know how much service this camera will ever see... since when I got it it has been a problem after the other. At the end of the day I paid for the body £25, but still, (can I write FFS?) I just shot it 12 (twelve) times in it!
I started using it on Saturday evening when the adapter finally arrived and less than 24 hours later it got broken...

L.

Last edited by ElStellino; 04-16-2012 at 01:08 AM. Reason: mistake, me thick foreigner!
04-16-2012, 06:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
Ok, got round the camera again and as said the actual shutter speed I select in manual mode is shown in the light meter altogether with the ever lit OVER led, but I actually tried to shoot a couple of photos and the shutter (probably obviously) uses the speed selected. I tried with 1 sec and 1/2000 and expectedly there was difference.
Still, it supersucks.
04-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #6

Original Poster
Quick update:

I moved the ASA dial a couple of times and the light meter got life again. (シ)(シ)(シ)(シ)(シ)(シ)(シ)
When the roll is finished I'll try to see the contacts underneath it and I will check for corrosion of any sort.
Thanks for the replies!
04-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #7

Original Poster
Ok, here I am again but I think it's worth for future reference. This thing got me crazy and if I can save time to somebody else I'll do...

As supposed the solution I found was temporary. Now from time to time the light meter gets back working, but most of the time it isn't.

I found both the service manuals for ME Super and ME (as on the first one there was written that it was simplified and to refer to either ME or MX because very similar), and went to the troubleshooting section in the ME one.
At page 14, first line, I found

4. Yellow - "Over" LED remains on, shutter delivers mechanical action only
✰✰✰BINGO!✰✰✰

It's in the paragraph titled "Malfunctions resulting from poor solder connections or poor contact at mirror-box connection I100"

When I finish this film (tomorrow?) I will try to open the top plate and check the ASA volume selector if it has some yellow cable going towards the mirror-box. I reckon it's on the side of the ASA selector because moving it from time to time establishes the connection again.

I will keep this thread updated.

04-16-2012, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #8
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
ElStellino,
Have you exercised the aperture lever? The lever is the metal tab that sit about between 1 & 2 o'clock, it is the tab that is held by your M42 adapter. It is possible that the OVER reading is a bad connection from the "Av-Volume" brush not getting a solid push on the surface.
Do you have a M lens to install and test the meter response?
04-17-2012, 12:38 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
ElStellino,
Have you exercised the aperture lever? The lever is the metal tab that sit about between 1 & 2 o'clock, it is the tab that is held by your M42 adapter. It is possible that the OVER reading is a bad connection from the "Av-Volume" brush not getting a solid push on the surface.
Do you have a M lens to install and test the meter response?
Thanks MysteryOnion,
It seems you are absolutely right! I do have the dead Soligor written in my signature, I just took off the adaptor with the camera saying Over, I put the Soligor on and now the camera works also using the Pentacon M42.
I removed the locking spring on the adaptor to take it off more promptly, I now want to see with if this temporary solution always work.
And, if this is the cause? What would it be a possible permanent solution to it? Getting Pentax K lens only (joking)? (シ)
Would a genuine Pentax M42 adaptor act in a different way?

Or alternatively, how to reach this brush that doesn't get a connection, please? It scares me that the aperture lever is spring loaded, though..

Thanks again MysteryOnion because you saved me from opening the camera showing me a different cause. I actually didn't fancy opening it at all..

As a side note I like the adaptor with no spring: I may drill a shallow hole on the lens to hold it safe on the body, I have a second adaptor on the way (as this one didn't arrived in a very long time) which I could de-spring and put on the Schnacht-Ulm (シ)

EDIT: Thanks MysteryOnion for pointing me in the right direction.

The actual aperture lever was bent backward and when the adapter was on the body it was probably pushing the brush out of the track, causing the light meter fault.

Below a picture of how it was:

It was because I already made it carefully straight again: years bending back motorbike brake and clutch levers gave me some skills! (シ)
I don't know if I did it or I bought it like that, in any case it doesn't matter, the important thing is that now it's working again!

Just: did this damaged my photos in any way? I mean, that lever pushed too far away?

Last edited by ElStellino; 04-17-2012 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Solved!
04-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
Giveaway winner!

Hey, you are very welcome.

QuoteOriginally posted by ElStellino Quote
I removed the locking spring on the adaptor to take it off more promptly, I now want to see with if this temporary solution always work.
And, if this is the cause? What would it be a possible permanent solution to it? Getting Pentax K lens only (joking)? (シ)
Would a genuine Pentax M42 adaptor act in a different way?
The Genuine Pentax M42 also has a spring. It is valid to remove the spring for quick access. I've heard about cut locking holes on the lenses and if you don't mind and know how, go for it.

QuoteOriginally posted by ElStellino Quote
I actually didn't fancy opening it at all.
If in the future you need to do so, please browse here:

Mystery Onion Patch: 01: That is two ME Super cameras now...
04-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #11

Original Poster
Hey, you are very welcome.

The Genuine Pentax M42 also has a spring. It is valid to remove the spring for quick access. I've heard about cut locking holes on the lenses and if you don't mind and know how, go for it.
I know how to but thinking about it better at cold mind I am still experimenting on different focal lengths. Plus I have 2 teleconverters that help me achieve focal lengths I don't have, and all the lot is M42. for now it actually makes more sense to leave the adaptor on the camera. (シ)

If in the future you need to do so, please browse here:

Mystery Onion Patch: 01: That is two ME Super cameras now...
I got crazy last night searching for this blog I found a while ago and thought to have added to my favourites! Is that really you???
Woah!

Anyway, that blog is gold, I am not planning to open now my only camera (yes, only one) but in the future if I have a second body I want to give it a good service.

Last edited by ElStellino; 04-17-2012 at 11:33 AM.
04-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
Giveaway winner!

Have super good time with the ME Super ElStellino.
04-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #13

Original Poster
will surely do, thanks!
07-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #14

I'm aware that this is an old thread however it came up whilst I was searching for a similar problem today; the light meter in my ME Super was flickering and climbing till it got to the top or wouldn't work at all. For me the solution was replacing one of the LR44 batteries as it had swollen and dropped voltage, may be of use to people to hear of this in case it happens to them. the voltages should be around 1.5v.