Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most recent Pentax film body?

Just wondering. There are only "historical" models shown on the web site.

01-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
The last designed body was the *ist, announced in 2003. The MZ-60 was the last of the MZ series, announced in 2002. The MZ-S was the last "professional" level body, from 2001.

The MZ-60 is perhaps one of the worst cameras that Pentax made. Strangely enough, it was my first camera.
01-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. Do they still manufacture the *ist, or any other film bodies? I just sold a ZX-5n on ebay. I pretty much use a K10D now, but when I want to shoot film I used my old work horses: K1000 and LX.
01-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I may challenge your 'worst Pentax' choice; although I never used an MZ-60. I had a MZ-7 (same as ZX-7) for a few years and was really disappointed. It was plasticky and focused quite slow for an AF camera; I just never liked it all that much. Was seriously considering a Nikon for a while - anything had to be better than that camera. I paid a lot of $$ for it but sold it for next to nothing. After I sold it and before I bought my *ist DS I gladly went back to using my trusty ME Super.

To the best of my knowledge Pentax does not make an SLR film camera today.

01-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #5

Well, the MZ-60 had a plastic lens mount. It could not use any lens aside from F or FA mount lenses. Even an A lens would cause the camera to blink "Av--" and would not fire the shutter. It was capable of 1 fps. It did not have a mode dial, and instead used the small LCD on top to display the shooting mode.

It was terrible. But I loved it regardless... Until i dropped it and my plastic mount FA 28-90 lens, breaking them both.
01-14-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

and not to mention the painful (and I mean that literally) little switch to change settings on the ZX-60. I'm so glad I went with the ZX-L for my film camera.
01-15-2008, 09:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhamemr Quote
and not to mention the painful (and I mean that literally) little switch to change settings on the ZX-60. I'm so glad I went with the ZX-L for my film camera.
I kept a ZX-L because it is the closest thing to the Pentax digital cameras in the way it operates, and is a solid performer.

I had a hard time deciding between it and the ZX-5N I had, but the higher max shutter speed of the ZX-L along with the control set being similar to the DS tipped the balance in favor of keeping the ZX-L.

Oh, I kept two MZ-S bodies as well, which are ergonomically perfect in my hands, but the operation and controls are quite different than anything Pentax ever made before or since. Regardless of that, I love the MZ-S bodies, and in fact, shot only film in one MZ-S over the holidays. It was quite refreshing to get the extra highlight DR of PRO negative film, along with the simplicity of dropping the film for development and printing without spending a single minute at the computer messing with PP. The wonderful skin tones of the film also reminded me why I liked film so much.

Ray

12-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
I kept a ZX-L because it is the closest thing to the Pentax digital cameras in the way it operates, and is a solid performer.

I had a hard time deciding between it and the ZX-5N I had, but the higher max shutter speed of the ZX-L along with the control set being similar to the DS tipped the balance in favor of keeping the ZX-L.

Oh, I kept two MZ-S bodies as well, which are ergonomically perfect in my hands, but the operation and controls are quite different than anything Pentax ever made before or since. Regardless of that, I love the MZ-S bodies, and in fact, shot only film in one MZ-S over the holidays. It was quite refreshing to get the extra highlight DR of PRO negative film, along with the simplicity of dropping the film for development and printing without spending a single minute at the computer messing with PP. The wonderful skin tones of the film also reminded me why I liked film so much.

Ray
Hi Ray,
what PRO negative films are you using ?
12-13-2008, 05:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeH Quote
The last designed body was the *ist, announced in 2003. The MZ-60 was the last of the MZ series, announced in 2002. The MZ-S was the last "professional" level body, from 2001.

The MZ-60 is perhaps one of the worst cameras that Pentax made. Strangely enough, it was my first camera.
According to Dimitrov, it the *ist is still in production: *ist

Edit: However, I suspect that it is no longer in production but there maybe some new units out there on shelves.
12-14-2008, 12:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
According to Dimitrov, it the *ist is still in production: *ist
OMG! Why would any one want this model. No offence really.... but, IMHO, this was a terrible camera. Perhaps a good try for the time, but it was not that good.

After being so, so, ticked off because Pentax dropped their promise of a digital back for the MZ-S, that was my first digital SLR. A waste of money! Later, when I understood digital technology better, I realized how ridiculous it was to release a digital back for the MZ-S.
12-14-2008, 12:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
Thanks. Do they still manufacture the *ist, or any other film bodies? I just sold a ZX-5n on ebay. I pretty much use a K10D now, but when I want to shoot film I used my old work horses: K1000 and LX.

Hello,

I think many would agree that one of the best (for handling, function, and even durability) 35mm film cameras is the Pentax MZ-S. I have either used or owned many different 35mm film cameras over the years. The MZ-S was really the camera that got me stuck on PK type mounts.

In migrating to digital, I now own a K20D, however, if I hadn't made a huge investment in PK type lenses, I would have switched to the Canon 40D or better.

There are a few MZ-S cameras on eBay now and I posted a message about them a few moments ago.
12-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The *ist and MZ-S look as complicated to operate as a digital SLR.

Chris
I skipped over the Pentax AF cameras. However, Its my understanding that the MZ-L is set up more like our digital Pentax dSLR cameras than any other Pentax AF film camera. I actually went from Pentax manual film to Nikon digital. I do have an EOS film body set up with a macro lens and ring light as well as a canon bellows.
12-14-2008, 02:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The *ist and MZ-S look as complicated to operate as a digital SLR.

Chris
Huh? I do not understand your comment. MZ-S is not a complicated camera to operate. Not in the least. I functions in a very logical manner and one can start using it without reading the manual. However, it is also a very powerful and programmable camera, sporting many features beyond regular camera operations; to fully realize its capabilities, you need to read the manual.

The *ist is no different but this IS a digital camera! Not my favorite model! I did not like the quality of the digital images and only owned it for about 2 years.
12-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
. . .

The *ist is no different but this IS a digital camera! Not my favorite model! I did not like the quality of the digital images and only owned it for about 2 years.
*ist was also the name of the last film camera marketed by Pentax. Go here> *ist
12-16-2008, 11:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The *ist is a film camera. The *ist D is a digital camera.

I learned photography using classic manual focus film cameras of the 1970's.
I find most cameras made since the advent of autofocus unnecessarily complicated,
and not worth the trouble to learn to program, just to "fight the automation".
For example, I sold my Pentax PZ-1P once I saw that the instruction manual was 200 pages.
I hate the long instruction manuals as well. First 10-15 pages just worthless info, and then one generally starts to give up on it.

For intuitive electronic film cams, the MZ-5N and MZ-M are very accessible, and easy to have a go at.