Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
Forum Member

What Body would you reccomend?

Hey Everyone, sorry i havent posted on here in ages, the Christmas just gone i got a Minolta Dynax 7000i, and stopped using my Pentax ME, I miss using a Pentax camera, and i want to use one again as there fun to use, But i dont know what camera to get next im looking to get one for under £50 ,any recomendations?,

04-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You should be able to find any of the MZ series other than the MZ-S for less than £50.
04-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Pentax program plus.
04-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They all come back to Pentax eventually...

Chris

04-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends a lot on what features and qualities you value. Something from the ZX/MZ or PZ series makes sense if you like having access to teh Dynax-like autowhatsits. If you enjoyed shooting with your ME, I'm sure you can find another in your price range that works well.

Kaiserz's suggestion of a Program Plus (program A) might be a good compromise - more automation than the ME, but still manual focus and a good viewfinder. The Super Program (Super A) is similar but a step up in a few ways. Be sure to look through the reviews section here.

Personally I'd be looking for an MX in good shape.
04-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Apart from one or two unpopular models (A3 anyone?) you'll find fans of almost every camera Pentax made! You'll need to whittle it down by features: i.e., manual focus or autofocus? Just manual exposure, or limited auto modes, or all singing and dancing modes? M42 or K mount? For manual focus under £50 I'd go for an ME Super as they are very common and cheap as chips. The MX has many fans (and rightly so) but it is unlikely you'll get a good example for under £50. If you want autofocus and don't mind an ugly camera (well, to my eyes it is ugly) the SF7/X/Xn can be found pretty cheaply and despite its late 80s looks I rather like mine.

Not certain that helps really! K.
04-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Except for the pricey MZ-S the MZ/ZX series "plastic" Pentax AF cameras
have poorer build quality and feel than that Minolta you're playing with.

In your price range there are plenty of decent Pentax manual focus models.
If you must have AF spend a little more and find a nice clean used Z-1P/PZ-1P.

Chris

04-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Inexpensive Pentax Body?

Hello Hayob,
In your price range I'd suggest a used Me Super. I bought a superb-condition black Me for about 40.00 USD last year, works great! The seller was in the UK, shipping brought it up to about $55.00 USD, still a good deal.
Here's my older Me Super, with a few accessories;
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/20870-rbefly/albums/3878-rbefly-p...ture35216.html
good Luck,
Ron
04-25-2012, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Hayob,
In your price range I'd suggest a used Me Super. I bought a superb-condition black Me for about 40.00 USD last year, works great! The seller was in the UK, shipping brought it up to about $55.00 USD, still a good deal.
Here's my older Me Super, with a few accessories;
Me Super, All Dressed Up! Photo; Pentax K10-D, F... - rbefly's Album: rbefly photos - PentaxForums.com
good Luck,
Ron
Your ME super is looking good, it looks really sharp! Now I want one. What is the one major thing you like on your ME super?
04-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it all depends on what you want to do with the camera.

If you are manual focus only, and largely using legacy lenses, mayeb go for a ricoh XR2s, if you want a more compact camera but very capable, an MX is a good bet. If you want full auto exposure an A series body would be ligical. If you really want AF and support for even current lenses (except SDM) a PZ1 but this is outside the budget.
04-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My choice would be something like an ME Super/K1000/Program-A/Super-A/P50/P30n (orT). The later motorised cameras add a lot of complexity which I feel is likely to be less reliable today. It also depends where you're going to get it from, there are loads available on Ebay (both the good and the bad), but in the right auction you have a decent choice for your £50 (although a good MX or Super-A would stretch this).
04-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Viewfinder

Hi Kaiserz,
Thanks! I really like several things about the Me + Super, but I'd say the viewfinder tops the list. Nice and bright, with my favorite screen- the split prism with fresnel/glass around it. Absolutely the best screen for manual lenses.
Another point is that they're rugged, all metal and solid-feeling.
I have big hands so there's usually a winder or grip on my cameras, especially a compact design like the Me. The Me II winder fits perfectly and works well, if a bit loudly. Sometimes that "clackety, clackety, clack" is fun, other times distracting. But even with the winder attached you can still use the wind-on lever.
It's just a fun, reliable, sturdy and efficient film body. Some don't care for the shutter speed adjustment buttons, but once you get used to it, they seem very natural.
Ron
04-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hi Kaiserz,
Thanks! I really like several things about the Me + Super, but I'd say the viewfinder tops the list. Nice and bright, with my favorite screen- the split prism with fresnel/glass around it. Absolutely the best screen for manual lenses.
Another point is that they're rugged, all metal and solid-feeling.
I have big hands so there's usually a winder or grip on my cameras, especially a compact design like the Me. The Me II winder fits perfectly and works well, if a bit loudly. Sometimes that "clackety, clackety, clack" is fun, other times distracting. But even with the winder attached you can still use the wind-on lever.
It's just a fun, reliable, sturdy and efficient film body. Some don't care for the shutter speed adjustment buttons, but once you get used to it, they seem very natural.
Ron
I see, I only have the ME but I like it, the build is awesome, it doesn't have that much control though. How big is the ME super vs the ME? I also have the program plus which is my main film camera and the ME is way smaller than the Pplus.
04-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Same?

Hello Kaiserz,
The Me and Me Super are exactly the same size. The "Super" designation means the newer design added fully-manual to the Aperture-priority mode of the regular Me. For this, they added 2 buttons next to the mode dial, to adjust the shutter speed.
There is also one more setting on the dial; From the top, the Super has; L, Auto, M, 125x (flash) and B. The regular Me has; L, Auto, 100x and B.
The Me Super has a faster top shutter speed, 1/2000s vs 1/1000s for the Me.
Other than that, I can't see any difference.
Having adjustable shutter speeds and full-manual control makes the Me Super a much more versatile camera, in my opinion.
Ron
04-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks Ron, That's awesome! Because I love how small the ME is.(: