Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2008, 11:53 PM   #1

Old Pentax SLR

My brother sent me a heap of old Pentax gear he acquired from somewhere.
The body is an "Asahi Pentax Spotomatic, which atm has the winder jammed - you can open the camera and see that it's half way through a wind.
Does this sound like an easy fix or should I just junk it.

I also scored 3 or 4 lenses (I haven't been through them yet) which seem to original pentax lenses. They're screw mount, (43mm I think I saw) would I be able to get an adapter to use these lenses on my aperture priority minolta.
Cheers
Paul

01-15-2008, 04:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Recycling Pentax items

Unless the Spotmatic has some sentimental value, its probably not worth fixing. The lenses are 42mm screwmount and can with an adaptor be used with Pentax DSLRs.

Perhaps post your question in a Minolta/Sony forum for detail for adaptors for that make. I have heard that there are adaptors for Canon bodies.

Depending on the lenses you may do well to purchase a Pentax camera as if in good condition the old lenses (pentax/Takumar) are often of above average optical quality. Keep them in the fold as it were
01-15-2008, 08:33 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by smidsy Quote
The body is an "Asahi Pentax Spotomatic, which atm has the winder jammed - you can open the camera and see that it's half way through a wind.

I also scored 3 or 4 lenses (I haven't been through them yet) which seem to original pentax lenses. They're screw mount, (43mm I think I saw) would I be able to get an adapter to use these lenses on my aperture priority minolta.
Cheers
Paul
A "clean" (meaning properly serviced) Spotmatic in very good condition with a decent lens tend to go from between $75.00 to $100.00 on eBay.

I could give you a referral to a very reasonably priced person who will CLA the thing and repair it for about $45.00 (not including about 8.00 in shipping) assuming no major parts. This is below the norm, but if you just want to see if you can get it up and running, it may be worth it. The "worth it" part is up to you. I use these things and like them a lot. I am biased.

The truth is, most of the time you buy one of these things in "great condition" on eBay they need a CLA and some repair anyway, so in a way, you are ahead of the game.

Screw mounts are 42mm. You will see them referenced as M42. Search "Screw mount and Minolta adapter" and I think you'll find there is an Adorama and a General Brand version, at least. the General Brand one probably will not allow you to reach infinity. You need to question anyone you get one of these for as to whether you can reach infinity.

woof!

(edit: M47? What was I thinking)

Last edited by woof; 01-15-2008 at 08:23 PM.
01-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

M42, not 43 or 47.

Unfortunately I doubt you'll be able to mount these on a Minolta, as the mount-to-film distances won't permit infinity focus:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/18043-there-mo...tml#post149764

01-29-2008, 02:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hei Guys,
Thanks for the info.
I think what I shall do is keep my eyes open for a screw mount body, but not for a few months - the week I scored this gear I bought another auto body and a couple of lenses so brownie points with mrs smidsy need time to build up again.
Cheers
01-29-2008, 07:39 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I could give you a referral to a very reasonably priced person who will CLA the thing and repair it for about $45.00 (not including about 8.00 in shipping) assuming no major parts. This is below the norm, but if you just want to see if you can get it up and running, it may be worth it. The "worth it" part is up to you. I use these things and like them a lot. I am biased.
I do believe smidsy's a sandgroper .
02-28-2008, 12:38 PM   #7

What's a Sandgroper?

New word to me...thanks.

02-28-2008, 01:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hei Guys,
Thanks for the info.
I think what I shall do is keep my eyes open for a screw mount body, but not for a few months - the week I scored this gear I bought another auto body and a couple of lenses so brownie points with mrs smidsy need time to build up again.
Cheers
which minolta are you trying to adapt this to? the Dynax/Alpha/Maxxum bodies, or the older manual focus bodies?
02-29-2008, 01:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since it didn't cost you much, why don't you try to get it CLAd by a decen professional. You'll have a good camera for the next 20yrs.

Cheers
Paul
02-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Since it didn't cost you much, why don't you try to get it CLAd by a decen professional. You'll have a good camera for the next 20yrs.
I have to agree with the above.

On the other hand, if you are going to scrap it, send it my way... I'll take care of it. Some guy opened up a retirement ranch for unwanted cameras on the Internet somewhere... took donations of all kinds of equipment. Perhaps yours can be the first in my new Pentax Unwanted Dude Ranch... ;-)

woof!
03-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #11

Original Poster
Hei Guys,
I managed to score off Ebay an adapter to mount the lenses on my old X300 Minolta, although I haven't had time to test it yet.
I've just bought a bulk roll of B/W so as soon as I get some assignments out the way I shall have a play.

A sandgroper for those that don't know is someone who comes from Western Australia - what us West Aussies call those that come from the rest of Australia I cannot say because this is a polite forum

Cheers
03-24-2008, 05:42 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried pushing the rewind button on the bottom of the camera, then seeing if the camera will go ahead and finish it's advance?