Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-14-2012, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

I use a Tamron 70-200/2.8 with no aperture ring (like yours) in My Z-1p with no problems (that is, i control aperture in camera, and it works in all exposure modes). I also use it in my MZ-S and MZ-5n in full auto and shutter priority modes. It's not that hard to work around the fact that you cant directly control aperture: camera assumes that lens is in "A" setting, so you put it in shutter priority mode, control shutter speed in camera and it selects the apertures needed.

07-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #17

Original Poster
SLR aperture priority

Thanks for your help.
Must admit I'm a little confused at the moment: I initially thought it was a much simpler ...
Maybe the best thing is to make a check with an AF SLR and verify by person if it works fine with my lenses.

I'll begin searching someone in Italy near my home (Venice) to find a way of checking it by person.
Among my friends I know some Pentax SLR owners, but unfortunately they own old manual focus models or modern DSLR.

If I'll be able to reach any "conclusion", you'll be informed ... of course ;-)
07-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #18
Forum Member

I understand your worries, but let me try to be more clear.

Your problem: you have modern AF lens with no aperture ring and want to use them in a AF film camera.
My answer, from personal first hand experience:

- Your Tamron 70-200/2.8 will work with absolutely no problems in all modes, with AF and correct metering in a Z1-p, matrix metering and all, and i can post samples. I am 99.9% sure that your sigma will work too (not 100% sure, because I dont have one).
- I am also 99.9% sure that both your lens will work in other Pentax AF film bodies that are able to control aperture in camera (MZ-7, MZ-6, all the Z/PZ series). Again, not 100% sure, because I only have a Z1-p.
- Your Tamron 70-200/2.8 will work in program (auto-exposure) and Tv (Shutter priority) modes in an MZ-S and MZ-5n, AF no problems, metering no problems, etc. It will not work in Av (Aperture priority) or manual mode, because the camera cannot control aperture DIRECTLY and lens dont have aperture ring. For me, that is not a big problem, because if you use it in Tv, it WILL control the aperture indirectly (that is, you set shutter speed in camera, camera meters, calculates correct aperture for the shutter speed you set, and sets aperture accordingly). In modern AF lens with no aperture ring, these cameras assume that the lens is in "A" position, and so, these cameras ARE able to control aperture only in full automatic exposure and Shutter Priority modes. But that is the only problem - that is, metering, AF, etc. will work.

So, my advice to you is simple: get a Z1-p. It is a great camera, in some ways better then the last AF film flagship (MZ-S, I have both, so can compare, not just read foruns...), it is very cheap, AF is very, very fast (for instance, it is faster then my K110D DSLR...) and it will work with absolutely no problems with your Tamron 70-200/2.8 (and, again, I'm 99.9% sure that you will have no problems with your Sigma).

Just a quick note: Lens with HSM (Sigma) or USD (Tamron), that is, ultrasonic focusing motors, WILL NOT do AF in ANY Pentax film SLR. But that's not the case with both lens you mentioned.

Have fun!

Last edited by Hertizel; 07-11-2012 at 02:00 PM.