Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2012, 01:53 AM   #1

K1000 Rewinder Question

Hello,

I've been a long time Pentax DSLR shooter w/ a K100D and recently got a really good deal on a Pentax-M 50mm 1.4 that came w/ a Pentax K1000.

I haven't shoot w/ a film camera for a long time so I have one question.

Film is loaded and every time I shoot a picture and wind the film i see the rewinder on the left hand side follows the movement. But i've been playing around w/ the left side rewinder and wonder if this will screw anything up. Am i suppose to tighten it following the arrows? Going clockwise? I've accidentally turned it counterclockwise and then just tightened it back up.

Sorry if this is a newbie question.

06-09-2012, 02:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The arrow on the rewind crank just indicates the direction you turn it to rewind the film when the roll is complete. You also have to press the button on the baseplate when you rewind. This disengages the take up spool.

You don't need to touch the rewind crank once the film is loaded. You won't have done any damage by going the wrong way and re-tightening. At worst you may have messed up one frame. Its good to pay attention to the rewind crank moving when you cock the shutter. It means that the film is correctly loaded. Myself and many others have fired off 36 exposures, only to find that the film wasn't on the take up spool correctly and hadn't been winding on
06-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Taking a look at the manual is always a good thing. A copy may be found here (donations appreciated):

Pentax K 1000 instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

Steve
06-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks, I read the manual yesterday and It didn't mention not to touch the rewinder when film is loaded. It did mention something about double exposure but I don't think that is what I want to do.

06-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As was stated the worst you will probably do is add or remove some slack which could offset that frame partially onto the one on either side of it (been there, somehow did that).
After closing the door I actually lightly wind the film a little bit to take the slack out of it and make it so the dial turns with the first advance telling me its correct. Otherwise it can take a few before it starts moving. You can feel just a slight resistance when its good enough, don't crank it too tight since its somewhat delicate stuff you are scrunching onto the roll and it can rip the film on the advance end of things.
I also only pull out enough film to get it firmly into the advance spool the first wrap.

Using this method I normally get 26 exposures from a commercial 24 exposure roll (can use both 0 and 25).
06-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hello everyone,

Finally got my first roll developed at costco and it is not what I was expecting.

The pictures are nice but I was kind of expecting results similar to the other film threads.

It seems costco scanned the pictures into low resolution files and you can still see dust in some of them

06-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jack_d12 Quote
Hello everyone,

Finally got my first roll developed at costco and it is not what I was expecting.

The pictures are nice but I was kind of expecting results similar to the other film threads.

It seems costco scanned the pictures into low resolution files and you can still see dust in some of them
Yep, sounds like Costco. The files are big but the actual resolution is rather poor. Probably a fair amount of artifact as well. It was Costco scans that spurred my scanner purchase. It is not that they are horrible. In fact, your photos look pretty good. They are just not as good as what can be attained with a custom scan on a decent dedicated scanner.

Steve