Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KX film advance problem

Okay, loaded my first roll of Ektar 100 and advanced the film to 1. Take a photo, advance to 2 an, hmmm, doesn't feel right or sound right. Every shot after is the same. Rewind film, not right, doesn't have that rewind feel. Load new roll, everything looks good, feels right, take first shot, advance film, same "wrong feeling". Is it possible that the KX cannot handle a 36 frame roll of film?, or is it something else?

06-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The KX is quite capable of handling as much film as the canister will hold.

How many turns before the film is back in the canister? It is possible that you were not winding on...
  • Advance the wind lever before loading the film. This resets the rewind button release button on the base of the camera
  • When loading the film, make doubly sure that the drive sprocket engages both the top and the bottom of of the film. (The sprocket is what actually moves the film.)
  • Wind on at least one full cycle before closing the film back
  • Close back and wind until the film counter is at frame one and confirm that the rewind crank rotates to indicate film travel
If the rewind release button is in the correct position and the film is engaged top and bottom but the film does not wind on, the drive mechanism is not working properly. This may be repairable by your friendly local camera repair shop or you can send your camera to Eric Hendrickson at pentaxs.com. Eric does excellent work at a very fair price.

Good luck!

Steve
06-17-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
confirm that the rewind crank rotates to indicate film travel
This is the way to be sure, you should always watch for this once the back is closed and you're winding on a couple of frames before you start. I had some problems with the first roll in my KX, but I think it was because the film was fresh out of the fridge and the cold stopped it from winding on.
06-17-2012, 05:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the very detailed directions, very appreciated. I loaded another roll and it took 4 attempts for it to finally work properly. I have had a couple film cameras in the distant past, and have a rangefinder also and never had so much trouble with loading a roll. Thanks again!

06-20-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
Forum Member

I had a similar issue with my Spotmatic F, where there seemed to be some intermittent resistance to advancing the film (even with no film in the camera). It turns out that there was a screw loose (but not out) in the gear assembly on the bottom of the camera. So, as one of the shafts rotated, the loose screw stuck-out and contacted other bits and prevented it from rotating smoothly. I carefully removed the bottom plate, found the loose screw and tightened it. Everything has been working smoothly ever since.

I hope this helps!