Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #1

Explain your love for pre-spotmatic....

Why the love for pre-spotmatics? My first pentax was an ME Super followed by an SV. Never quite got used to the dim viewfinder...

However there seems to be a lot of people here who loves these pre-spotmatics. Why is that? Is it the simplicity? Build quality? Nostalgia?

06-18-2012, 04:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Simplicity and quality "feel." No electronics to go wonky, so they can be repaired and adjusted to work like new. More accurate focus with fast lenses with real groundglass. The SV series is very nice, but if you ever shoot with an original Pentax (1957) you'll be amazed at the quiet yet solid sound of the shutter, even though it has an instant-return mirror. It uses preset lenses so there is no automatic diaphragm mechanism in the body or lens to clank around.
The more modern features do add convenience, but the results can be just as good with the old models, and the mechanisms are jewels.
06-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Of course the older bodies lack conveniences, and the view finders are dimmer than later ones. For me the attraction is a certain lighter feel to the mechanism, more like a dancer than a footballer.
06-18-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Who doesn't want instant return mirror, rapid wind, penta prism and extra bright ground glass with Fresnel lens?

Larger version -> http://www.fototime.com/34EB1C99B88897C/orig.jpg

06-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Banned

SV. greatest camera ever designed. enough said. I could probably write a thousand word essay on why its so great, but why bother? either you get it or you don't.
06-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
SV. greatest camera ever designed. enough said. I could probably write a thousand word essay on why its so great, but why bother? either you get it or you don't.
It is aesthetics, which are very hard to define in words. The absolute experience of shooting an SV - sound of the shutter, feel of the metal body, snap of the focusing screen - have to be experienced to be understood. The visual design is as near perfect as any camera ever made.

The SV is sublime.
06-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It is aesthetics, which are very hard to define in words. The absolute experience of shooting an SV - sound of the shutter, feel of the metal body, snap of the focusing screen - have to be experienced to be understood. The visual design is as near perfect as any camera ever made.

The SV is sublime.
Couldn't have said it better!

06-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The SV is sublime.
...and handling. Pick up a Spotmatic with 55/1.8 (great handling combo). Now pick up the SV with the same lens. Both are nice, but the SV is nicer. As for the viewfinders...brighter is not always better. My Super Program has a very bright finder, but the finder on my KX, Spotties, and SV provide easier critical focus on the GG.

Steve
06-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...and handling. Pick up a Spotmatic with 55/1.8 (great handling combo). Now pick up the SV with the same lens. Both are nice, but the SV is nicer. As for the viewfinders...brighter is not always better. My Super Program has a very bright finder, but the finder on my KX, Spotties, and SV provide easier critical focus on the GG.

Steve
I've got an S1a & SP but hadn't compared them until I read the above and have to agree. I can't put my finger on it, but the S1a is certainly different (and probably preferable). I also like not having a meter needle in the finder as I concentrate more on composition without being distracted by second guessing my initial (hand held) reading.
06-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
Giveaway winner!

The paper and sticks and strings of SLR technology. Simple and keeps working... knock on compressed fiber and wood pulp. Soooo easy to fix too... SV and S1a that is.
08-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The SV is sublime.
Well I'm soon going to find out first hand if I agree. I picked up a "spares or repair" SV for next to nothing and Eric is servicing it for me. Doesn't sound as though there was anything wrong beyond needing a relube and new seals/bumper foam.

I'm looking forward to trying one out.

K.
08-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #12

Old pentaxes

I sure like my H2 but I pick it up second. First is one of the Fs that I bought in '71.
08-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The S1a is superb, it feels "right" and it does everything a camera should do. Yes, I know it requires some input from the user ( where's the modes on this thing ? ) but that just slows me down and helps me appreciate the whole process of making an image. Or I could use the latest digital masterpiece and just set it to 'auto' and click away, and possibly get just as good pictures ? I do that, and enjoy doing it. But the S1a and my other old manual and basic cameras have a special place in my enjoyment of photography. I enjoy that place more than the click click click of my digital cameras.
10-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I have several pre-Spotties. The K is just a sleek compact slr.

Asahi Optical SV in black

A gaggle of pre-spotties

10-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I have several pre-Spotties. The K is just a sleek compact slr.

Asahi Optical SV in black

A gaggle of pre-spotties
Very pretty! K.