Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Camera strap hoops scratching camera?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I know I read a thread about this but now I can't find it. The stainless triangle hoops on my K1000 and the metal strap parts they clip to are starting to mess up the finish on the otherwise really nice aluminum body. Rather than do the taped eyeglasses approach and just glom some tape or padding onto them I thought maybe a tiny strip of chrome or some metal colored tape on the body would work better. This IS bare aluminum right? I would hate to pull the grey finish off when I inevitably change the tape later. I could even use precisely cut duct tape as its durable, well padded, sticks like mad and is about the right color.
Unless someone has a better idea.

06-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
See the leather (-like?) guard on the KX's strap ring.

I've seen vintage premium straps that have these fold-over bits as part of the whole thing. Alternately, you can make some out of thin material of some sort.

Here's some instructions:
http://www.zorkikat.com/cheap-simple-diy-strap-ring-protector/206/

Last edited by Nesster; 06-18-2012 at 11:08 AM.
06-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Quality Leather Camera Strap Protectors For Canon Bodies Free Post Worldwide | eBay
06-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
At 11 pounds a set that ebay one is a tad too expensive for me to fit all my cameras with but now that I see it I can make it, thanks all.
Its surprising they didn't all come with this anyways considering all the clattering it does when you are walking while actully holding the camera, but then I suppose they expect you to have a pure cloth strap there and not a snap on swivel like my must use hipster vintage strap from the 60's.

06-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
At 11 pounds a set that ebay one is a tad too expensive
$16.45 for about a penny of leather and a $50 die? Man, I'd like to be in that business. Then again, I've never seen them for sale in any camera catalog, website or store and if asked, I can't even give them the proper product name.

I once took one off a camera and carried it into a camera store - the salesman knew what it was but didn't know what it was called either.
06-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I notice Domke straps have these bits on them.
06-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You can make those easily with a cutter and an old piece of leather. After doing a set you'll be an ace, you'll want to sell some too. And if I'm not mistaken, the top and bottom covers of the Spotmatic/K series are brass, either painted black or chrome.

06-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I found these camera lug protectors on eBay UK:

Camera Lug Protectors for Neck and Sholder Straps | eBay

I have purchased several sets from this vendor so far. These are a bit thicker than usual, and work very well.
The ad says ships to UK only, but they have shipped to me in California a few times already this year.

Last edited by Moe49; 06-18-2012 at 02:26 PM.
06-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
At 11 pounds a set that ebay one is a tad too expensive for me to fit all my cameras with but now that I see it I can make it, thanks all.
Hey, those Ricardo Montalban Corinthian Leather cows don't feed themselves, you know.

06-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I use electrical shrink wrap on my camera straps. It makes removing and adjusting the strap a hassle, but it is cheap, and works well.
06-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I use a bit of plastic aquarium tubing. It's flexible, cheap at any pet store, and you can slide it up and down the clips as needed.
06-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I use a bit of plastic aquarium tubing. It's flexible, cheap at any pet store, and you can slide it up and down the clips as needed.
But that negates the fun of taking a blow torch to your camera gear!
06-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use the Nikon split rings (triangles) with plastic inserts.

Chris
06-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Use the Nikon split rings (triangles) with plastic inserts.

Chris
So THAT'S who makes those!! I guess I'm just too brand-centric.
06-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

On my black Spottie, I also use strap lug protectors like those to minimize paint loss, but on my other, chrome SPII, I have these fancy "earrings" that look nice, although they aren't very healthy for its finish.