Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Should I pull the trigger on a "new" ZX-5 for $180?

I impulsively made an offer of $180 on an what I thought was an unused ZX-5n that was posted on e-bay. Come to find out though it's actually just a ZX-5. I would have offered less if I'd known this ahead of time but my offer has already been accepted. The camera is not new in box but the seller says it has never been used. Since it was not described correctly I have a fighting chance of backing out of the deal. I haven't paid for it yet and I would very much appreciate forum member's thoughts or advice that could help me make the best decision. I think I have about 36 hours to try to retract my offer. From what I understand, the differences between the two is that only the ZX-5n has DOF preview, auto-bracketing, and exposure lock. I would have liked to have had the exposure lock for sure and the DOF preview would've been nice but I'm not too concerned about not having auto-bracketing. Is there anything else important that I'm missing? Thanks!

07-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
ZX-5 has no control wheels on it so it will only work with lenses that have an aperature ring, DA lenses with no aperature ring will not work on the camera as you will have no aperature control..It may work in P mode, but very unsure, I have MZ-5 and MZ-5n but have never tried a DA lens on them so cant say.

Just looked, no P mode. I shot with these two film bodies for years and years, love em.
07-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@cmohr Very good point! I should have mentioned that I knew about it being necessary to use a lens with an the aperture ring. That is definitely an important limiting factor to take into consideration. I feel I have that covered as I currently have two FA lenses and plan to get another in the normal range soon.
07-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Ahh, Ok, just looking on fleabay, there is a number of mz-5 and mz-5n all around $60.00 to $90.00.

actually, looking again, lots at 30-50 dollar too.

07-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
just looking on fleabay, there is a number of mz-5 and mz-5n all around $60.00 to $90.00
I know. The reason I got impulsive with making the offer of $180 that I did on fleabay was because it is supposedly an unused, i.e. perfect working order, body. The ZX-5n has received good reviews, from what I've seen. I've really been having an itch to use my FA lenses on film but now I'm afraid I'm having some buyers remorse, even though I haven't paid yet and can possibly retract the offer. I can be both impulsive and indecisive sometimes, not the best combo.
07-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I assume it does not go with any set of lenses, if that is so, I wouldn't buy it.
07-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
I assume it does not go with any set of lenses, if that is so, I wouldn't buy it.
That's the decision I've reached. I've just submitted my request to have my offer retracted. It was one of those "make best offer" type auctions. It's my first time using this option on an e-bay auction. I hope the retraction goes well as I have been a long time user on e-bay with only good feedback. I think it should go smoothly as the item listing was incorrect.

I'm still going to keep my eye out for a good SLR.

07-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, no way. They just don't cost that much. I have one, who's OK, (for a built-in-winder camera) but that price is too high and it won't make it any more solid.

Just try another one. (Also, put the OME-53 eyepiece on there: it won't make the finder cover more area, but bing, it works right and you won't see vignetting, I don't think. It's not true, but I was convinced that that must be what that part was originally designed for. )
07-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
ZX-5 has no control wheels on it so it will only work with lenses that have an aperature ring, DA lenses with no aperature ring will not work on the camera as you will have no aperature control..It may work in P mode, but very unsure, I have MZ-5 and MZ-5n but have never tried a DA lens on them so cant say.

Just looked, no P mode. I shot with these two film bodies for years and years, love em.
DA lenses will work in P and in shutter priority modes; use the DA35 DA16-45 and even tried the Sigma 10-20 on the MZ5n.
07-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update: Transaction successfully canceled.

I'll be on the look out for a more affordable film body in good condition.
07-07-2012, 03:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
Update: Transaction successfully canceled.

I'll be on the look out for a more affordable film body in good condition.
I think you made the right choice.There are so many film bodies on ebay that are going for cheap,and unless that ZX-5 had a very good Pentax lens on it that justified the price,I would have done the same thing.Keep looking.There will be one out there somewhere.And next time just make sure you check and make sure it is the exact Pentax you are after before bidding.
07-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
I think you made the right choice.There are so many film bodies on ebay that are going for cheap,and unless that ZX-5 had a very good Pentax lens on it that justified the price,I would have done the same thing.Keep looking.There will be one out there somewhere.And next time just make sure you check and make sure it is the exact Pentax you are after before bidding.
Yeah, they really aren't hard to come by. The 5n has features that make it more desireable, but the plain old 5 is pretty nice: I carry mine near every day just for smallness and ease of switching lenses, (all my good Pentax glass has aperture rings, but I don't want that to get in the way of swapping between) The built-in-winder gives me fits cause I can't feel if she's loaded right for sure, but that's the nature of the vintage. ) If they couldn't be had cheaper I might trade mine for some Eric-service on my ol' Super A, but I think you can do better, even with the goodies I'd include.