Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
Pentaxian

HSM/DC focusing motor on Film

Are there any 35mm bodies that support HSM focusing? I am very intrigued by the rumored release of a Pentax full-frame DSLR. I don't care about it--I won't buy it--but it will mean that maybe we will see another 28-80 2.8 made by Pentax, or a 80-200 2.8. These FA lenses are very rare and very expensive, prohibitively so for most Pentaxians.

Obviously Pentax will have to re-release, or at least introduce new editions of these lenses. They will probably be HSM as well (more than likely no screwdrive fallback), and obviously have no aperture ring. We're talking about the MZ-7 (and it's kin) and the PZ-1p (and it's kin) as the only cameras that can control the aperture on-body, and not rely on the Aperture ring. The MZ-S, otherwise a brilliant camera, won't be able to take full advantage of these rumored upcoming full-frame lenses.

Does any 35mm film camera support HSM? Or for that matter, quick shift? I don't imagine so--the technology wasn't developed until the K10D, and 35mm was way out of Pentax's radar by then. But, maybe I'm missing something and one of the bodies does support HSM. Thanks!

I won't even mention the possibility of Pentax releasing a firmware update for the MZ-S or PZ-1p; even if it were possible they wouldn't do it. Perish the thought of Pentax releasing a new 35mm camera.

EDIT: By HSM, I mean SDM, DC, HSM, or whatever it is called--the in-lens motor that often dies and focuses silently, as opposed to the screwdrive built in the body.

Last edited by brofkand; 07-09-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Clarification of what I mean by HSM
07-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
EDIT: By HSM, I mean SDM, DC, HSM, or whatever it is called--the in-lens motor that often dies and focuses silently, as opposed to the screwdrive built in the body.
Yes, it's called SDM
07-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Pentax calls it SDM or DC, Sigma calls it HSM, Tamron calls it Piezoelectric Motor. The point is, does any film SLR support it? I look forward to a full-frame DSLR, not because I want a DSLR, but because I want the lenses.
07-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No film SLRs support Pentax SDM, as far as I'm aware.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ah folks - SDM and DC are not the same. SDM = failures at an unacceptable rate DC = no such pattern

Pentax claims that the DC motor system is "cheaper" than the SDM and less powerful. However, in the area of reliability it outshines the SDM motors without a question. Problem is that there is currently only one DC lens in the lineup - the 18-135WR.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/182093-pentax...c-my-take.html

I agree about a FF camera forcing Pentax to release some solid lenses - like the 70-200/2.8 or additional * lenses in good focal lengths.
07-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's disappointing that HSM isn't supported by any film SLRs, but totally understandable.

The MZ-S seems to be the camera to get in the AF Pentax world, and it doesn't fully support aperture ring-less lenses either. I suppose if I invest in an MZ-S, I'll have to make use of glass of the same vintage, with no hopes of new full-frame digital lenses. Unless Pentax goes "backwards" and builds in an aperture ring and screwdrive backup, but looking at their new 645 DFA lenses I doubt it will happen.
07-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It's disappointing that HSM isn't supported by any film SLRs, but totally understandable.

The MZ-S seems to be the camera to get in the AF Pentax world, and it doesn't fully support aperture ring-less lenses either. I suppose if I invest in an MZ-S, I'll have to make use of glass of the same vintage, with no hopes of new full-frame digital lenses. Unless Pentax goes "backwards" and builds in an aperture ring and screwdrive backup, but looking at their new 645 DFA lenses I doubt it will happen.
MZ-S works exceptionally well with FA limiteds. The PZ1p and MZ-7 (I think) support aperture control from the body.

My understanding though is that the MZ-S fully supports the power zoom functions of the FA* zooms, something the DSLR's don't. Maybe someone can correct me?

07-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I still shoot a lot of film, but unless you feel really desperate to work with film, I suggest caution. If you want to get decent quality, you are looking at spending a lot of money on custom scans. Either that or buy a good scanner and learn to scan and process images properly.

Maybe you should consider getting a less expensive camera and basic lens to make sure you really want to go to film before you take the plunge on an MZ-S.

If Pentax doesn't go "backwards" (Which they should do if they have any sense of corporate responsibility) I'll probably go sideways into a different brand. My main reason for using Pentax is lenses that I already own. If I can't use them on future bodies, Pentax is no more attractive to me than any other brand. For example, over the years I've accumulated a nice set of Minolta AF lenses. All I need to add is a wide zoom and I'm good to go Sony FF.

Last edited by John Poirier; 07-09-2012 at 07:31 PM.
07-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have shot film for 7 years now, I process all my own film (C-41 and B&W) from 35mm to 4x5. I don't have a DSLR anymore; I sold it because of Portra 160 and Fuji Acros. I do scan my own film with a Plustek dedicated scanner, but when I do a shoot for someone (a paid gig), I send off the film to a lab and have them scan it. Saves me a bunch of time, but for my personal work I enjoy processing and scanning myself. It's just a hassle when I have 5-10 rolls to process and scan, I'd rather pay the lab to deal with it.

My main 35mm camera is an LX, but I've been thinking about moving to AF for 35mm, mainly so I can use better zooms, particularly the 28-75 Tamron. There aren't any 2.8 constant zooms in manual focus. I am aware I can use the Tamron on my LX, but the focus throw is way too short to use the ring full time.

I am also considering shooting another brand for AF 35mm; I shot an F100 for a while and loved it. Might buy another one and a few Nikkors. I'd also be very happy with an MZ-S or PZ-1p and the Limited Sisters.
07-10-2012, 04:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The MZ-S only has limited support for Power Zoom -- essentially just retracting the zoom lens automatically when powering off the camera. The PZ1p supports the full power zoom feature set, which I played with but never found to be more than a gimmick. Part of the problem was that the matching power zoom lenses had lackluster image quality and slow apertures.

Regarding in-less focus motors -- I agree, its disappointing that no film SLR supports it in the Pentax lineup. It limits the otherwise great MZ-S. It makes me miss the mythical MZ-1 even more, it could have been a worldbeating camera especially if it supported SDM/DC.

There is no doubt that Nikon delivered the most comprehensive last-generation lineup in 35mm. The F5, F100 and F75 are great cameras with perfect support for modern lenses. Heck, Nikon still sell the F6 with support for the latest flash system (also true for the MZ-S and pTTL.)
07-10-2012, 04:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

In-lens, not in-less
07-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
Maybe you should consider getting a less expensive camera and basic lens to make sure you really want to go to film before you take the plunge on an MZ-S.
+1

Steve