Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #1

double exposure

I currently have 2 pentax 35mm bodies, A3000 and K1000Se. The A3000 was my fathers and "A" mode probably appealed to him back in the 80's, I prefer the manual use of the k1000. In the manual for the K1000 it tells you how to do double exposures but at the cost of losing the next frame or completely screwing up. I haven't tried this yet in fear of wasting a roll/potential shots. I just want to know if there is an easier way to do this on the k1000 (any tips/tricks?) or if there is a camera that would make double exposure taking a lot easier. I noticed when rewinding the film in my k1000 as apposed to the A3000, it doesn't show you how far you've rewound to say I've gone from frame 24 to frame 23 again or even being able to rewind to frame 1 and shoot the roll again.

Whats the best way to go about it, take 1 shot "rewind" take it again. Take all the shots, rewind and reshoot the roll again. I'm open to any advice to try out!

07-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From my understanding, there's a little button on the bottom of the camera, directly beneath the cocking lever. Take the first exposure, gently turn the crank in a rewind direction until the film is tightish, press the button on the bottom of the camera that I mentioned, hold the rewind lever/wheel in place while cocking the lever, and take the second exposure. You should be able to (if I interpret the manual correctly) continue to shoot the rest of the film as though the double exposure didn't occur. Thus, no guesswork on making sure the second exposure is over the correct frame.

That button appears on both my ME Super and Spotmatic II, so I assume it's on the K1000 as well.
07-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
On most all manual focus cameras you do double exposure by taking the shot, take up the slack on the film cartridge by rewinding until tight, while holding the rewind press the film release and advance the film. Holding the rewind will ensure the film frame stays put.

Of all the Pentax I have, only the LX has a dedicated multiexposure function and you will just push the film release without having to rewind the film or hold the rewind. With it, you can also rewind back to any previous random frame number.
07-15-2012, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The only way to try double exposure on the K1000 is the way mentioned by pezmaker and LesDMes. Rewinding will not give nearly enough accuracy and even the their way, by taking up the slack on the rewind crank and pushing in the rewind at the bottom when cocking the shutter, is not 100%, because there is always a bit of forward traction on the film during cocking the shutter. I have used it on my K1000, but did not get a 100 success rate. If the double exposure is of two different scenes ( a sun overlaid on a beach scene or so, it will work, but if the scene stays the same and you are on a tripod, you might find it ever so slightly out of register and that can be interesting, but mostly unusable

Try it and experiment and post your results.

Good luck

07-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your responses. I remember reading how to do it and tested it on the camera and tested the method without film in it and every time it would advance to the next frame. I dont know if this was because it wasn't loaded? or if I was doing it wrong (I'm sure the latter).
I'll try what pez mentioned and see if that does the trick.
07-16-2012, 04:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Try it on all of your bodies. The only way it doesn't work as I outlined is if they are all in need of service which is unlikely.
07-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a K1000, which I bought mostly to add to my collection, so I've never taken a double exposure with it.

However, my first SLR was a Spotmatic, which is mechanically, almost identical to the K1000, except for the screw mount.

In the Spotmatic, I used the procedure of taking up the film slack, pushing the rewind button on the bottom of the camera and advancing the film lever. I usually held the rewind crank, as well. to minimize any film movement due to friction on the film.

The real loss came when you wanted to truely advance the film. On my camera, it would take about half a frame, before the rewind button popped out and the film advance mechanism fully engaged. Had I taken a picture at this point, I would have had two and a half images superimposed. For that reaon, I alway advanced the film again. When the negatives were developed, there would always be a half-frame between the double-exposure and the next image.

07-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
On my camera, it would take about half a frame, before the rewind button popped out and the film advance mechanism fully engaged.
Hmmm, that is unfortunate. When I was dinking with my ME Super the other night to post, It seemed like the film take release button was popping back out as soon as I snapped the shutter. Maybe it still takes a little extra to catch. I didn't try on my spotmatic as i've got film in there and don't have any concept of what I would like to get out of a double exposure. I'll have to investigate (for my own curiosity) what happens with the spotty.
07-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FragileBird Quote
I remember reading how to do it and tested it on the camera and tested the method without film in it and every time it would advance to the next frame. I dont know if this was because it wasn't loaded? or if I was doing it wrong (I'm sure the latter).
I'll try what pez mentioned and see if that does the trick.
The film counter will advance to the next frame number when you activate the film advance lever on almost every film camera when you take a double exposure because it is directly connected with the advance lever. However if you do as pez and LesD described it should work. Also what noblepa says about the frame alignment can occur. I have tried this on a Petri FT and a K1000. What I forgot to do was adjust the exposure setting so the final photo was not overexposed. Good luck and I hope you can get some good photos. I haven't done this in many years, but am going to try again.
07-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

May I suggest that merging two scanned images in PP may be easier than doing the double exposure?

Steve
07-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you everyone! I'll have to try this out, hopefully have some results to show!
As for doing DE in PP I havent tried it yet but if trying this in camera and can't successed I'll try it PP.