Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Checking the light seals and mirror on a Super Program

Hi all,

I just got a Super Program along with two Pentax-A lenses, 50/1.4 and 35-105/3.5, off ebay. I bought it because I wanted to use the lenses for an LX I'll be receiving shortly. I was looking at the Super Program, however, and wanted some help verifying whether or not the light seals and mirror are in proper working condition. I just want to make sure that the light seals haven't deteriorated and the mirror isn't sticky. Can someone tell me what to look for? Thanks.

01-25-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just got a Super Program myself and you ask good questions and I hope somebody who knows more, answers. What I did was run a 12 exp roll through the camera and had it developed at a one hour place. The pics looked good so I've loaded some B&W in. Before this I took the lens off and checked to make sure the mirror worked without sticking and just visually checked whatever I could see.
I also have the A 35-105/3.5, great lens!
01-25-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I have had some experience in this field. Really, if the camera is 30 years old the light sealing strips on the rear door are probably in need of replacement. It is not necessary to shoot a roll of film to test, all you need is a toothpick and a good bright light.

Open the camera back up and see and feel if the edges of the back door are sticky - even a little bit, check further. If there are tiny bits of gunk stuck to the edges, the foam seals on the body need replacing. If you can very gently pick at the foam in the groove on the camera body and tiny bits are easily extracted, they need replacing. If you look inside at the hinge side of the open back door and see and feel gucky black foam or felt, they need replacing. Remove the lens and look at the tiny foam strip at the top of the opening where the mirror will flip up to. If it is missing tiny pieces or again, flakes off with the most gentle of pryings with a toothpick - it needs replacing.

Jon Goodman sells strips of foam and gives great free advice so you can do-it-yourself. With patience and practice it is a simple and rewarding experience and can save you $$.
01-25-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would just start using it. I the mirror starts sticking or you notice light leaks, go ahead and change them out. On the other hand, neither job is very hard (although maybe a little tedious), and a light seal kit can be had for $10 or so online.

If you decide to do either, I would probably do both at the same time. They tend to degrade at a similar rate.