Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
i'm looking for that ! can you suggest me something ? i'm fed up with the fuji provia 200, it's dull and don't pop enough.

I feel like that - so I am experimenting with colour slide film (Velvia and Ektachrome E100S at the moment).

08-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I may be in the wrong thread... or not. I'm using my K10D more often due to economics of scale. But there's nothing that the feeling of seen an 18mm truly ultra-wide shot on full-frame (24 x 36mm) as opossed to an APS size equivalent (27mm). And that's why I keep my last two 35mm film SLR bodies (LX and ZX-L) around. And, no: I have not yet purchased a DA lens yet (who said 'It's the economy, stupid'?). If I ever do it, it may be an ultrawide zoom lens like the 12-24mm Pentax DA one.There was a good article in PopPhoto about the virtues of still using film that will stimulate you.
08-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay, you people are awakening the beast in me to shoot film again, or at least try it. I have been shooting digital for around 6 years and don't think I've taken a single film photo in that time. I still have two film SLRs, a K1000 SE, and a Petri FT. Both fully manual and built solid. I have some B&W and color film that is outdated, but it would be an experiment, right? Thanks for the incentive.
08-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Okay, you people are awakening the beast in me to shoot film again, or at least try it.
YEAH !

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I have some B&W and color film that is outdated, but it would be an experiment, right?
the B&W should be fine, if it's not too much outdated. I used a 8 years old outdated film and it worked out to be good. I just push it a bit with a +1 EV during processing, asked for something not to concentrate (about chemicals). At the shop they used Kodak Xtol in very diluted solution (to not hurt the film). I added a little contraste when scanning, but grain and result was fine. No much fog.

The Color on the contrary was a total failure. I pushed it with a +2EV during processing, and film didn't impress anything on some part. Color were not acurate at all.

08-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I've heard that outdated film should be pushed a stop for each decade, but I don't know how true that is, or if it applies to all film types.
08-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

So far, B&W seems to be the most stable film over time.

cheap color film don't seem to resist well to the damage of time.
08-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I shoot out dated color negative film and find that rating ISO 800 at ISO 400, or even ISO 200 if it is 10 years or more old, works real well. I only adjust the exposure time, not the developing time.

08-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #23
Pentaxian

There's a place close to here that has a bunch of expired slide film going cheap, some of it as old as 2002. I'd like to try it but the cost of E6 development is prohibitive. We'll see. Slide film will be gone entirely before long and it would be nice to say I shot some at some point in my life.
08-11-2012, 02:46 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Just bought 5 rolls of Velvia 50 for cheap that expired in 96, so 'll let you know how it goes!
08-11-2012, 03:20 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote
Just bought 5 rolls of Velvia 50 for cheap that expired in 96, so 'll let you know how it goes!
sounds like a good challenge
08-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Not bad for £5.50 - even if it isn't perfect I think I'll probably get some useable shots from it:

Also looks like it's original RVP as opposed to 'new' RVP50 - not sure if there's any discernible difference.

Last edited by rob1234; 08-11-2012 at 08:55 AM.
08-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote
I would love to know how it works and what you did. I have had decent luck with old color negative stock as well as old black and white. But I just have not mastered the technique of working with expired slide film.
08-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Reading all this was making me want dust off the SF1s and Superprogram I had acquired in order to get a few old lenses. Just yesterday a coworker gave me a almost complete darkroom setup, with a Chromega enlarger. (don't know if they are good quality but everything works) I'll see if I can get into a B&W photography class this fall at my community college, you know with all the state budget cuts its getting harder and harder. Or do you guys think it is easy enough to learn on my own? Thanks in advance.
08-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Roob-N-Boots Quote
Reading all this was making me want dust off the SF1s and Superprogram I had acquired in order to get a few old lenses. Just yesterday a coworker gave me a almost complete darkroom setup, with a Chromega enlarger. (don't know if they are good quality but everything works) I'll see if I can get into a B&W photography class this fall at my community college, you know with all the state budget cuts its getting harder and harder. Or do you guys think it is easy enough to learn on my own? Thanks in advance.
Good luck on the class. My Community College out here is only offering Digital Photography classes. I think a class is a terrific start if you can get into one, and well worth the money because it gets you started in the right direction. What I have learned has been pretty much on my own so it can be done, but you will probably make more mistakes along the way. I know that I certainly have.
08-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Good luck on the class. My Community College out here is only offering Digital Photography classes. I think a class is a terrific start if you can get into one, and well worth the money because it gets you started in the right direction. What I have learned has been pretty much on my own so it can be done, but you will probably make more mistakes along the way. I know that I certainly have.
+1........Taking a darkroom course would certainly help the learning curve. I took my classes back in '80/'81. Starting back up again 30 years later, it's been a struggle, but with excellent forums like this one, and APUG to help guide you, it definitely can be done! Best of luck!

Griz