Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Need help with LX

Hi everyone!

I recently acquired someone's entire Pentax kit. It came with an LX that is working pretty well - no sticky mirror syndrome & shutter speeds all seem to be working. The camera was CLA'd several years ago.

However, I can't get the back of the camera to open up. I've pulled up on the film rewind pin but it seems to be stuck. The back just won't pop open. Can anyone offer any ideas or help about what to do?

I already own another 2 LX's so I do have experience with this camera. The LX is a very nice camera... they don't make them like this anymore.

Thanks!
George

01-29-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't own one and have never seen one, so 'scuse me if I say something ignorant.

Is it possible that the light seals have deteriorated and glued the back shut? That stuff gets awfully sticky. You could try gently prying it, perhaps using one of those rubber things like you use in the kitchen to open jars to give you some more traction. If it were mine, I'd wet some cotton swabs with lighter fluid and go around the cracks between the back and the body in hopes of breaking the goo bond. I make no guarantee about what effect lighter fluid may or may not have on the camera, so go at your own risk if you're foolhardy enough to listen to anything I say on it.

If it does turn out to be light seal goo, be careful not to let any crumbs of it get on your shutter or on the film pressure plate. Maybe hold the camera with the lens toward the ceiling as you open it so that gravity is on your side regarding the goo balls.
01-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's such a touchy situation.. If that latch isn't coming all the way up and you pry on it, it could lead to bigger problems, but if all it is is gooey seals.. You're in good shape. Is there film in it? If so, make sure it's rewound all the way before you do get it open - you could have a hidden gem in there

I own the K1000 - Is it possible to slightly compress the area where the latch is while pulling up on the rewinder? If there is no play I wouldn't suggest squeezing much. You could always use a A-1 oil or something around the door seals to soak out that gasket goo.. Though, you'll need a thorough cleaning afterwards to replace the gaskets. Of course, if it's not the gaskets and you manage to get it open otherwise, you'll need to new gaskets after a light oil treatment.
01-30-2008, 06:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That's the good part about lighter fluid. It will soften the goo and unstick it. But unlike oil it will evaporate and leave behind no discernible trace. Handiest thing in the world to have around if you fool with old cameras very much.

01-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Hi everyone!

I recently acquired someone's entire Pentax kit. It came with an LX that is working pretty well - no sticky mirror syndrome & shutter speeds all seem to be working. The camera was CLA'd several years ago.

However, I can't get the back of the camera to open up. I've pulled up on the film rewind pin but it seems to be stuck. The back just won't pop open. Can anyone offer any ideas or help about what to do?

I already own another 2 LX's so I do have experience with this camera. The LX is a very nice camera... they don't make them like this anymore.

Thanks!
George

There is no magic to opening the back. Just pull up sharply on the rewind knob (image on the left) and it should pop open. If that fails try to determine where it is stuck - - hinge side, top or bottom or the latch side. Mike could be right about the seals but I have never seen them glue the back and body together. Perhaps the latch spring has broken and the latch is refusing to budge. Dunno?

Last edited by J.Scott; 03-30-2009 at 03:28 AM.
01-30-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your responses so far. I would have answered a bit sooner but I've been sick over the last few days.

Given the fact the camera was CLA'd a few years ago, it probably isn't the seals gluing things together (although this is still a possibility). It may be the spring connected to the latch. When you pull up on the rewind knob, there's a spring that gets pulled and opens the camera back. When I think about it, I suspect it may be this spring that's broken.
01-31-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I doubt if it's the light seals as the LX used a non-deteriorating rubber as opposed to the typical foam. If you pull up on the rewind knob you should feel it engage the rear door latch. It will be an obvious pulling on a spring feeling. If you don't then the latch is probably either broken or bent. If you peel the leatherette away from the body on the rewind side you will find the latch. I believe it is held in place by a thin plate and 2 screws. Let me know how it works out. Stu

02-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The replacement light seals may be thicker than the original.
If you can get it open exercising it a little will probably cure the problem.

Chris