Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Actually the ISO "advantage" really shows when using TAv mode, especially on the newer hi-iso low noise models.

Personally, I shoot both digital and film, they both have advantages and disadvantages. When I went to the military vehicle show recently I had BW film in my MX and took my K20D. I shot two rolls with the MX. Given how cheap film bodies are now, having a couple with different films isn't really an issue is it? I have a Rollei 35 and a Pentax P&S with 400 in them, my KX and my SV with 100, the Yashicamat 124G with 160 and 8 rolls of Neopan 1600 in the freezer...

If anyone asks me why I still shoot film I just answer "because I enjoy it". Saves a lot of pointless discussion!

K.

08-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
If anyone asks me why I still shoot film I just answer "because I enjoy it". Saves a lot of pointless discussion!

K.
Best answer I've heard yet!
08-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Actually the ISO "advantage" really shows when using TAv mode, especially on the newer hi-iso low noise models.

Personally, I shoot both digital and film, they both have advantages and disadvantages. When I went to the military vehicle show recently I had BW film in my MX and took my K20D. I shot two rolls with the MX. Given how cheap film bodies are now, having a couple with different films isn't really an issue is it? I have a Rollei 35 and a Pentax P&S with 400 in them, my KX and my SV with 100, the Yashicamat 124G with 160 and 8 rolls of Neopan 1600 in the freezer...

K.
Yes they both have their advantages. Same with post processing, although I perfer the darkroom over Lightroom (or PS) there are times I do perfer sitting at the computer processing images. If I go out with the intension of shooting digital my MZ5n is almost always in the bag. If I go out with film in mind I normally take the Hasselblad or the LF kit and some times throw the K-r and a couple of lenses into the bag.

We still have a good local lab in this small city that does C41 up to 8X10. A couple of months ago some one took a roll of old black and white in to be processed and the lab called me and asked me if I was interested in doing it for him. By old I mean the film was discontinued in the early 50s. The roll was badly fogged and little the way of exposed shots (a found camera loaded with film) so I did not charge him anything for developing and in return he gave me a bunch of boxes of photo papers all but one of them tested to being good.

To OP I think that using a film camera as a learning tool for exposure is good, some of the club member's have on line mentors that recommend that. And if you are keeping your DSLR the cost is not that much to shoot some film. I shoot very little colour film as still think that black and white in the darkroom is what film is and always was for me. Good luck with your new tool. Learn lots and shoot lots.
09-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #49

wow CMG, I opened this thread and thought I had posted this while sleepwalking... I also have the K5 and the 3 FA Ltds, I'm also reading Understanding Exposure (also working on doing 100% manual and exposures etc.) and after reading through all 4 pages of the thread I'm convinced that we have pretty much the same feeling/preferences towards the difference between digital & film. I'm considering the K1000 and the MX.
Any updates?

update:
just got the MX... really good condition, almost the same price as the K1000. I'm a tiny person and like tiny cameras, hence the choice. Really excited

Last edited by ardentartichoke; 09-04-2012 at 01:12 AM.
09-04-2012, 03:09 AM   #50
Pentaxian

For anyone wanting to try film for cheap, the P30 (or N or T variant) is probably the cheapest Pentax SLR out there, they sell for almost nothing on ebay because they don't have the classic SLR look. I have an original and an N, and the original version is a rather handsome camera. They have many features that the K1000 lacks, they require less CLAing because they're newer and less mechanical, the plastic-backed ones don't even need light seals. The viewfinder is excellent, much better than the KX, so I assume better than the K1000 too.

I am very much enjoying getting into film. I shoot more B&W because it's easier. I develop it when I want and I know that if there's anything wrong with the results then the fault is down to me, I don't have to wonder if it was badly developed, or badly scanned or both. I do like the results I have seen with the better quality colour films though, Portra, Fuji pro 160 & 400, Reala (recently discontinued so I'm trying it out, I need to know if I like it so I can stock up). I have even experiemented with Lomography film, which can do a decent job when not loaded into a piece of sh*t, overpriced all-plastic camera.

My big worry is the rapidly decreasing range of colour films. B&W is here to stay as it's cheaper to produce and smaller companies will keep it alive. Kodak & Fuji have become victims of their own success: unable to adapt to a low-volume market as they're used to running huge production lines that aren't viable any more. Hence, I'm all for people saying they want to try out film, or get back to it, because it boosts the market, and it provides enjoyment for the person using the camera and all those who see the resultant photos.
09-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Don’t forget with a DSLR you are stuck with the same sensor all the time. When shooting film every time you load a different type of film you basically have a new “sensor” and a totally different shooting experience.

I can go from ultra sharp 25 ISO b&w, to colour slide to IR b&w film and it’s just like having a new camera.

Phil.
True, and I love that about film. (Except in the several days I've been away from this thread, we've learned for sure that Efke has died so no more ASA 25 film, and one less ASA 50 option.) Anyway in case it was unclear, I should've said, in my long bullet-pointed post, that I'm a big fan of film and don't shoot digital (K20D) that much except for, as mentioned above, in service of my wife's food-blogging or other utilitarian purposes. So when I mentioned that switching ISO mid-"roll" was magical, I wasn't trying to favor digital; just to point out the only convenience about digital that I miss when shooting film. On the other hand, yes, when you switch "sensors" in film, say from a modern B&W ASA 400 with wide exposure latitude, to Velvia 50, it's like a different camera, and (for me anyway) a major challenge, which I take on for fun. But when you expose a chrome correctly, and especially if it's medium format, there is NOTHING in the digital world that compares to the awe of seeing that. (CMG needs to try that out quickly before E6 is gone too. )

--Dave
09-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CMG Quote
I'm shooting with a K-5. I use the 3 FA Ltd. primes mostly. I love the way film renders and frankly, the myriad digital adjustments that can be made with a my DSLR just seem to complicate the artistic process for me. I'd prefer to have my white balance and contrast and color temps, sensitivity "built into" the film and just choose my film. I shoot JPEG because I don't enjoy the PP experience, I prefer shooting and getting things as close to how I want them with the camera. For me, RAW just emphasis everything I don't like about digital. If I'm off base here....please correct me. I'm "generation X" so I did use film in my youth and I have used enlargers, etc, but by the time I got serious about photography everything was going digital.

I think the K-5 produces some great JPEGs, but nothing matches the DR of film and constantly worrying about losing highlights, losing shadows etc., WB adjustment is really too much and with all the fuss over histograms. I mean, prior to DSLR did anyone use a histogram in photography? I think the "old masters" who shot film.....chose their film, chose their lens, aperture, shutter speed, waited for the moment, composed....pressed the shutter and went on with their shooting.

Anyhow, I really want to try working with film. I can't process myself, so I need to find a good lab. Can anyone give me some advice on Pentax SLR bodies that will work with my FA Ltd. lenses.

Thanks!
if you have a K5 already, then I would suggest a PZ-1 or later film body, but you may find the PZ-1p is the best bet. much of the operation and modes are very similar to a DSLR, to the point that when I use my PZ-1 i often find myself looking at the camera back waiting for the image to appear

As for wanting to avoid RAW and white balance etc, then I have a suggestion for you in digital.

consider shooting everything with daylight setting. you can simply modify the color temperature to mimic your favorite films in terms of warm (lower color temperature) or cool (higher color temperature) as required. If shooting indoors shoot tungston setting (but I would advise reducing the color temperature a little as the digital setting tends to over compensate compared to film)

The fact is, all you did with film was select speed (for grain) and brand for color rendering, or print vs slide for dynamic range and contrast in a similar manner as to how you modify your digital settings. SHoot film for a while, enjoy it, especially B&W, and I am sure you will be glad to have digital back. Perhaps with a better appreciation for settings

09-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm very pro film, but considering how few film types and speeds are left and the fact that it seems we lose a few types if not an entire brand every year now, pretty soon you wont be able to do half the options with film that you have with digital ISO and white balance. Really quite depressing.

QuoteOriginally posted by Argenticien Quote
we've learned for sure that Efke has died
Efke too now huh?

And I read that Kodak is trying to sell off all their film stuff, I would guess in preparation of closing shop since its one of the few parts of the company still worth anything. A photo world without Kodak is just weird.

EDIT: After more reading seems like there's nobody left to buy Kodak's film division for anything but pocket change (a Fuji market share grab for example) I wouldn't be surprised if Kodak never comes out of bankruptcy at this point.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 09-05-2012 at 08:43 AM.
09-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

EFKE is stoping film production, but ADOX makes the same films under their brand.
Adox has b&w films in 20, 25, 50, 100 and 400 ISO.

Phil