Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2012, 03:11 AM   #1

Pentax Kx vs Lx or both ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to the Pentax family.
Recently I bought a K1000 for actually learning basic film photography and the advanced camera model Kx. Furthermore I also inherited two Rollei 35 S and T (the T-model being faulty with lower shutter speeds) from my father when he past away. I already have little experience with film but want to grow in this particular area and my friends and I we love to shoot with film rather than digital.

Now since I already have two bodies and an assortment of lenses for the K-bodies (Pentax SMC M 1:2 50mm, Exakta MC Macro 70-210mm 1:4.5 - 5.6 Ø 52mm, SMC Pentax 50 mm 1:1,4 and Tamron 1:3,8-4,5 80-250 mm) I am wondering if
  1. I should opt for another Kx body for replacement parts once the Kx dies or whatsoever (which hopefully will not happen). For I heard that the metering system of the Kx's get flimsy with time and the parts getting sparse or
  2. should I opt for a used Lx? For then I will cover the whole range of cameras from beginner to pro!
  3. or should I buy both ??? I even may get a good deal of a relative and a friend who might sell me the Kx or Lx, respetively.
But I surely know too, that once I master the basics of photography I will end up using the Kx or Lx anyway (if I plan to buy a Lx in the future) and use the base model K1000 just for fun or give it to a friend perhaps.

Any help and suggestions are greatly helpful
Thank you and greetings David

08-28-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First of all, welcome to the forum, and it is nice that your first post is in the film SLR section

As to your questions: it all depends on how much cash you have burning a hole in your pocket. If the two cameras you have are working OK, you don't really need another.
You can get your cameras repaired and adjusted by Eric Home for not much money.

Now, one reason to buy bodies is if they are the rear caps to some lens you want - as often camera+lens sells for less than the lens itself!

I like the KX fine, and the MX, and have never really yearned for the LX... but there are many who do, and who love the LX. Alternately, there are the Super Program / Program Plus / ME Super cameras that give you exposure automation....

However, if you have family and friend who are willing to sell, why not!
08-28-2012, 04:32 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for my first reply in this forum !

The two bodies I own work very well, but I am thinking if I should send them in for CLA, especially for the K1000. But I guess it's not worth the money. The Kx is in pristine condition. Moreover sending the cameras to Eric would cost me a fortune I think, since I live in Germany. But I already mailed Eric and asked him how much it would cost. Local German repair shops I do not trust or I have to look and ask around for a reputable pentax repair shop.

For the lenses you were talking about that come with the cameras are for the Kx a SMC 1:1.7 50mm and a Tele 85-210mm 1:4.5 and for the Lx I think a 35-70mm something.... do not know the specs so well. And I am pretty sure that I have to send in the Lx for CLA, which would add to the total cost.
I think for the Kx + lenses he wants to charge me about 80-90 Euros and for the Lx about 100-150 Euros.
08-28-2012, 05:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Triple X . . .

Of the three, the LX is the only aperture priority capable body so the second choice would come down to the KX or MX. The MX is the smallest manual, full info SLR with the largest viewfinder while the KX is more the size of the K1000 with the full bells and whistles including mirror lockup.
More on the Pentax LX -> Pentax LX - Index Page / Modern Classic SLRs series

08-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would go for either the LX or Mx over a KX. Not that the KX is a bad camera, (i have one too) but to get something a little different than the K1000.

The Kx has a horizontal cloth shutter, I believe the LX and MX have vertical metal shutters. this makes them more suitable for IR film, if you want, as well as offering higher flash sync. (KX is 1/60) where a metal vertical shutter is typically 1/90 or 1/125.

I think the LX may also offer TTL flash. All 3 are solid cameras. the MX, in my hands actually feels the heaviest because it is so compact.
08-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I would go for either the LX or Mx over a KX. Not that the KX is a bad camera, (i have one too) but to get something a little different than the K1000.
I would tend to agree with this: all things being equal, I'd search for an MX over a KX. Personally, I just prefer the smaller size of the MX plus its superior viewfinder. The K1000 always just feels like a brick to me (and so would the KX). Now, if you found a KX in good shape for a good deal, may as well get it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The Kx has a horizontal cloth shutter, I believe the LX and MX have vertical metal shutters. this makes them more suitable for IR film, if you want, as well as offering higher flash sync. (KX is 1/60) where a metal vertical shutter is typically 1/90 or 1/125.
The MX has a horizontal-run cloth shutter. I think you're thinking of the ME/ME Super, which has vertical metal shutters.

The LX is a fantastic camera, and if one landed in my lap I'd surely use it and try to get the most out of it. But it's not on my list of camera bodies that I must acquire. (Actually, since I bought a second MX body, my appetite for buying camera bodies is satiated. My appetite for lenses, however... )

PS, FrogFroggy, go ahead and add your location (eg just "Germany") to your profile. That way people will know better how to help you. Sending things to Eric is totally reasonable for us US folks, but obviously it's different for Europeans. That is, it's only obvious if we can tell you're in Europe!
08-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had all three models for years. All three have horizontal-running shutters. The LX shutter is thin titanium foil (which got a good reputation from the Nikon F introduced in 1969) which rolls up like the cloth curtains, not blades like the vertical running shutters. These foil shutters can get dented and wrinkled from a finger poke, but often keep working with little effect. The foil shutter also has a different sound than cloth.
Overall, the LX has the most solid feel to it, so many of us just enjoy using it. However, the more "complete" display of meter information with a long column of LEDs as well as moving "flag" indicator is too complex for me in manual mode, and often hard to see in extreme bright or dim light. If you like automatic exposure it's fine.
Overall I prefer the MX, and it's the Pentax I use the most.

08-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by contrabass Quote
I would tend to agree with this: all things being equal, I'd search for an MX over a KX. Personally, I just prefer the smaller size of the MX plus its superior viewfinder. The K1000 always just feels like a brick to me (and so would the KX). Now, if you found a KX in good shape for a good deal, may as well get it.
that is actually the impression i have of the MX because I find it harder to hold being just a little too small
QuoteQuote:

The MX has a horizontal-run cloth shutter. I think you're thinking of the ME/ME Super, which has vertical metal shutters.
you may be correct there, it is a long time since I looked at any of the old film bodies closely
QuoteQuote:

The LX is a fantastic camera, and if one landed in my lap I'd surely use it and try to get the most out of it. But it's not on my list of camera bodies that I must acquire. (Actually, since I bought a second MX body, my appetite for buying camera bodies is satiated. My appetite for lenses, however... )

PS, FrogFroggy, go ahead and add your location (eg just "Germany") to your profile. That way people will know better how to help you. Sending things to Eric is totally reasonable for us US folks, but obviously it's different for Europeans. That is, it's only obvious if we can tell you're in Europe!
I would also keep an LX if one dropped into my lap, but considering a KX, Ricoh XR-2s and PZ1, i have enough film bodies at present
08-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The LX has a horizontal running Titanium Foil Schutter capable of intermittent times as set by the AE.
The AE system of the LX, time priority, is exceptional and very reliable.
But the other two camera's are very, very, good too.
So, if you allow me, I would suggest to take the KX because it's built as K1000 upgrade but still basic, the LX for the serious work and the MX as a small, light, walk around camera, if the wallet...
They all take the same lenses anyway!
BTW, you would not need a K1000 for learning, the KX can handle a learning curve too.
The KX, as you can see in the triple-X, is rather rare because it's black, on the used market there are more, and thus cheaper, chrome ones.
08-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #10

Original Poster
Decided for MX but ...... !!!!!!

Thank you for all your insights !

It was greatly helpful. As some of you said that the Mx is also not a bad body I will buy that one instead of the Lx. Both are named as "professional" cameras and for what I know is that when taking good pictures the camera is just an asset and the mind and eye is much more important for taking beautiful shots !
So that is why I will just use the K1000, the Kx and the Mx.

Now here comes the BUT ......

Now there is one thing that is bugging me lately ! Should I buy another Kx or should I just be satisfied with the setup I have right now ? There is a prime pentax lens 50mm 1:1.7 that comes with the body, several UV filters, a lens hood and a camera case O_O. And I might grab it cheap ASAHI PENTAX KX mit SMC 50mm 1:1,7 + SUN Zoom 85-210mm 1:4,5 + Zubh. Topzustand | eBay if the auction does not heat up. Good deal ?
08-29-2012, 03:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Snap...

Personally, I love them all but the LX gets the most use, mainly due to the FA-1W viewfnder.

K.
08-29-2012, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frogfroggy Quote
Now there is one thing that is bugging me lately ! Should I buy another Kx or should I just be satisfied with the setup I have right now ? There is a prime pentax lens 50mm 1:1.7 that comes with the body, several UV filters, a lens hood and a camera case O_O. And I might grab it cheap ASAHI PENTAX KX mit SMC 50mm 1:1,7 + SUN Zoom 85-210mm 1:4,5 + Zubh. Topzustand | eBay if the auction does not heat up. Good deal ?
I sense a case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) here

In this case, the answer to all your 'should I' questions is: YES. Get them all

That KX in the auction looks to be in fantastic external shape, really beautiful. Will you use it if you buy it? Do you need the 1.7 lens if you already have a 1.4 and 2? The hoods and filters can be had cheaply second hand, and the Sun zoom is interchangeable with dozens of similar from the same era.

My approach to these things is: does the (duplicate or triplicate or...) camera come with some lens I've really been looking for? But then my cupboards are rather full of cameras.

Last edited by Nesster; 08-29-2012 at 03:51 AM.
08-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #13

Original Poster
Oh wise man Nesster !!!

Thanks ! I think you talked some sense into my brain after suffering from GAS !!!! I will not buy that camera because your right, owning a 1.4 and 2.0 lens is enough.

I even bought a MX today for 75 Euros in a very good condition. It even got CLA'd last year.

So my complete setup for now is a K1000, KX and MX. I think I will have some fun with these for a while. Once I get back home next week I will post some pictures of the cameras and lenses with my Fuji digital E550

You gotta catchem all!!!
08-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Please do post pictures. They are great cameras.

I'll also echo Nesster's fine suggestion that you probably don't need another KX. Look at it this way: Your KX has been around ~35 years and still works great. If it's lasted that long you shouldn't have to worry about purchasing a second KX as a backup. It will probably last another 35 years without incident if taken care of properly.

The MX is my most used and favorite film camera, but many here like the KX too. The LX is an incredible camera system but I found it to be too high-maintenance for me so I sold it. There are a lot of nice Pentax film bodies to consider so enjoy your cameras and be sure to visit and post pictures here too: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/53503-cool-let...ilm-shots.html
08-31-2012, 03:56 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have all four cameras. My favorite is the LX, the best Pentax ever.

It has all you can want of a camera, size, features, quality, accessories and the looks.

I bought my lx using all my savings as a teenager brand new back in the early eighties. It has failed.

For as little as 100 to 150€ I would must surly invest in the LX

Good luck!