Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCADjacket Quote
Check all the local Wallgreens in your area, I think they are going to stop carrying the BW400CN so they've discounted what they have. Last I checked they had 3 roll packs for 7 bucks. So far I've bought $70 worth for $30.
Looks like Kodak is still making it the time being, so you can still order it. I was impressed about how nice it turned out. But I have several local places that will process it.

If you want to go with TriX or TMax you can always send it out yourself. I can highly recommend E-Six Lab here in Atlanta
E-Six Lab of Atlanta - professional film processing, E6, C41, digital
E-6 Lab of Atlanta Inc - Westside / Home Park - Atlanta, GA
No luck at the local Wallgreens.

10-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you have time to order it, Efke and Adox (same film, different names) are great. Both areout of production, as of a few months ago, so usingthem now while they're still available will be your last probable chance.

For slide film, Fuji Velvia 50 is an amazing film. With a good lens, the results on 35mm are nearly indistinguishable from a 14-20MP DSLR sensor image.

For color print film, Kodak is of course good as is Fuji. I'm partial to Fuji's color rendition. Supermarkets typically sell Fuji.

For a challenge, Bluefire Police is a great film but has a VERY limited range. Also, it requires special developer. I've tried it and quite like it and sggest it if you're interested in something with minimal latitude but great potential.
10-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Grabbed a roll of Tri-X and T-MAX 100 an a red filter today and put a wish list together for my upcoming birthday for the gear and chemistry to develop my own and a scanner.
10-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Efke and Adox (same film, different names) are great. Both areout of production
Sort of. The Efke films rebranded as Adox will no longer be available. Adox films branded as Adox are still alive and well.

Steve

10-11-2012, 01:07 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
For color negatives, it seems pretty common advice for Kodak Portra (160, 400, 800) to be named as "the best". Beyond that you are on your own
unless, of course, you like velvia.
10-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
So I'm pretty disheartened by today's announcements of the "new" flagship DLSR, and I'll probably be leavig the brand soon. It seems a shame to sell all my gear, particularly the film lenses. In the event that one day a 35mm Pentax DLSR does materialize, I'd like to at least be able to check it out.

So I've decided to take a break from digital. Woohoo! Only problem is I've been out of the film game for so long, I have no idea what my options are in 135. I think as far as modern professional films go I've only used Ektar, TMax, and a few rolls of Fuji Reala (don't even know if that's still around)

Is there a book or website that gives a rundown of modern films? I read reviews on B&H and other sites, but it's hard to get a coherent picture of which film is best (I understand of course that depends on the application). It would be great if there were some reliable, consistent, objective source for information on film. That's probably asking for too much, but anyone know of anything that remotely resembles what I'm describing?

Thanks in advance!
I don't blame you. I never owned a Pentax digital....unless you count an EI-2000 in Hewlett Packard trim.
I have 2 S2 Pro(s) and an S5 Pro so I'm pretty much a Nikon guy.
I still shoot the k1000 i bought new when i was 18 and have added a K2, MV and Super Program to my film camera collection (all Pentax except my Mamiya 645).
My favorite film is BW400cn because I have a freezer full of it it always looks perfect, and I can develop it.
10-14-2012, 06:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I've been shooting a few rolls of whatever film Kodak has announced will be discontinued. Having shot Fuji slide film for years, my first two rolls of Kodachrome were also my last two rolls. I tried a couple of rolls of the E100 films and I really liked the colors. One disappointing scenario for the glide path of film is the last films standing may just be the ones very few of us really want to shoot. Losing Plus-X was the big one for me.

I think the suggestion of Ektar and Portra is good. From the rumors I've read, I think we should be prepared to stock up on the Fuji films as well. My guess is Ilford can remain viable if their products sell in good numbers which would mean Kodak shutting down all of its chemical lines.

10-14-2012, 06:11 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I just completly jumped from Rollei to Ilford film.
Because I only shoot B&W, Ilford seems to me the best choice for the future, reckon with the problems Kodak has these days.
Today I finished my first Ilford film in my Pentax 67

Henk
10-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #24
Forum Member

What about developing film?

I have been using Mpix, and it looks great. But ideally I would like a place I can send film and buy film, kwim?