Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #1

If you could pick from this list...

As I said in a previous thread, a friend of mine who is a pro is switching to all digital all the time. He doesn't see any need in keeping his 35mm SLRs and has offered me first pick of the bunch before he takes them to a local used shop to sell. He's not willing to bother with listing them on E-bay.

The last few days I've been trying a few of them out... but here is the full list of everything he has.

Pentax LX (I've been giving it a trial run)
Pentax ME Super (might need a CLA, seems to have a mirror lock issue)
Pentax K2
Pentax PZ1p
Pentax ZX-5N
Pentax PZ-70

Nikon FE (really like this one, might make him an offer)
Nikon F3

I've got a K-1000 that I bought locally that I'm going to keep for sentimental reasons (The K-1000 was my first SLR and I used it all through college)

So, if you could buy a few cameras off this list, what would you go for?

09-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the K2 a regular K2 or a K2 DMD? If its a DMD model then it would be between the DMD and the LX for me among the Pentax MF cameras. I'd probably try the PZ1p among the AF ones.
09-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
Regular K2

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Is the K2 a regular K2 or a K2 DMD? If its a DMD model then it would be between the DMD and the LX for me among the Pentax MF cameras. I'd probably try the PZ1p among the AF ones.
09-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I shot with PZ-1p today, it's great camera. I like my ZX-5n as well, mainly for being small. And the LX is a legend too, but I haven't shot with it so far.

09-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The FE is a superior camera, no doubt about it. So you ought to get it.

But you need a Pentax as well. K2 out of the list jumps at me, I've never been one to go for the top-pro models... For kicks, one of the af bodies too, they can be a nice diversion.

Your friend will not get high prices by bringing these to the store... so you should be able to get decent prices and help your friend out as well.
09-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 for the K2.

Phil
09-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #7

Original Poster
I know I'm going to get the Nikon FE and the Pentax LX.

The ME Super has issues so I'm going to skip it for now, if he's willing to sell it for a song I might be willing to send it out for a CLA.

I'm going to give this NIkon F3 a roll, I love Pentax, but I have to admit I'm impressed with these Nikons as well so I think I'll go shoot a roll with it.

The K2 doesn't seem that much different than my K-1000, would it be worth it?

As far as the list of: Pentax PZ1p, Pentax ZX-5N, Pentax PZ-70

The PZ1P reminds me a film version of a modern DSLR.
I like the layout of the ZX-5N, traditional dials, but I've read about reliability and build issues due to all the plastic, I think I'll still give it a try.
The PZ-70 is an odd bird, looks like it's nearly a point and click.

We rarely get a chance like this to try several cameras out before purchasing, great opportunity.

09-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SCADjacket Quote

The K1000 may look like a K2 from a distance, but they are totally different feature wise.
The K1000 basically has none and the K2 is packed with features including aperture priority.

Also the metering and shutter are completely different, if you have heard the K2 shutter fire you’ll know what I mean.

Phil.
09-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Personally I'd want to try the K2, but that's mostly out of curiosity, as it's the only K body that I haven't shot with yet.

Of the others, I enjoy the ZX5n most as a shooter, at least lately. For durability's sake, if he has one with a brass mirror/shutter motor gear, then it is a keeper. The plastic ones break eventually, but some of them supposedly had brass straight from the factory. Hard to tell that from the outside though unless he knows he has already had it replaced sometime.

The LX probably has the best resale value of the Pentaxes you list, if that matters to you. And I love the ME Super but it's a fairly common camera, so it isn't the one I'd pick up in your situation with those other interesting choices available.
09-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I kind of made the move in the opposite direction -- having come back to Pentax after using Nikons for many years. I will always love (and hold on to) my Nikon FM-2n, and indeed I have asked my wife to make sure it is buried with me when I die That said, I prefer actually *using* my Pentax equipment. The lenses seem perhaps just a little better quality than the Nikkors, and everything in the Pentax world seems to fit my hands / eye more comfortably.

That said, I would choose the PZ-1p over the LX. The seals will be in better shape, and everything else will be a bit newer on the PZ-1p. While it may be little more "plasticky" feeling than the LX, both of our PZ-1p bodies have held up quite well.
09-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tlong423 Quote
The lenses seem perhaps just a little better quality than the Nikkors, and everything in the Pentax world seems to fit my hands / eye more comfortably.
Is it because generally speaking Pentax viewfinder magnification is larger then Nikons? If so then you need to look through the MX which is the smallest 35mm manual SLR with the largest full info viewfinder.
09-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Is it because generally speaking Pentax viewfinder magnification is larger then Nikons? If so then you need to look through the MX which is the smallest 35mm manual SLR with the largest full info viewfinder.
Indeed! When I was 16, I got my first job at McDonald's just so I could save enough to purchase my first camera, which was a Pentax MX. I have had a total of four of those beautiful MXs in my life. Ahh -- if I keep going I'll just get more and more gushy about Pentax, so I'd best stop now
09-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I own the LX, ME-Super, and the PZ-1p. Of the three the LX is the winner, by far. Now, if you want autofocus the PZ-1p is a good choice, but for a manual focus SLR the LX is the choice. The PZ-1p has no where near the LX's versatility. The ME-Super doesn't offer depth of field preview, an unfortunate omission.

However.

Even as a long term Pentaxian I must admit that the Nikon system will furnish you with more goodies second-hand. In this I speak from experience; while I have over the years accumulated a good LX kit a comparable kit for the F-3 would have been far easier, and probably cheaper to buy. From all I can tell the F-3 was a worthy competitor for the LX, except in the area of looooooong metered exposures, in which the LX has no real rival, then or now. Had I not had a MX and K1000 and a few lenses, etc, when I bought the LX I might well have gone Nikon.

BTW, since you're in the Atlanta area stop by Wings Camera. The have a good selection of used goodies, and are good folk to deal with. I can also highly recommend KEH for used gear, although they have no showroom.
09-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
Pentaxian

As much as I love Pentax, get the Nikon FE first

Then the LX - K2 - MEsuper
if you want a AF get the PZ1p
09-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SCADjacket Quote
Compare the two in the Camera reviews section. The differences are just too numerous to list.

Based on what I already own I would add the PZ-1p. If I had no film cameras I would get in order of preference:
K2 - free

PZ-1p
LX
FE