Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Open the camera back and run your finger around the edges of the lid. There will probably be some black gooey stuff. That is the light seal that others have been mentioning, it keeps light from leaking in and messing up your film. Just wanted to explain that. And if you don't feel any goo there, then someone just wiped it off.

You can easily find some newer plastic-bodied MZ- or ZX-series film cameras that really are truly good to go, and the cheapest initial route if you just wanted to shoot film with Pentax lenses. Nothing to do with your original question.

09-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
There is a product called Goo Gone that I often use when working with focusing screens(adjustments etc). It is a citrus based product...
John...I am glad you you have had good luck with this product, but while Goo Gone has citrus components, it is hardly citrus-based. My bottle is clearly labeled as containing petroleum distillates (up to 95% according to the MSDS*), is highly flammable, and its contents are not miscible in water (again, according to the MSDS*). It is great stuff and may work well with the glass focus screens found in true vintage gear, but I would hesitate to use it on the plastic screens found in most cameras made since the mid-1970s.

Your comment makes a very good point in that screens are best cleaned outside the camera. For an ME Super, this requires at least partial dis-assembly (top cover and pentaprism). That is why I send mine to a pro to resolve a gooey screen.

Steve

* Link to Goo Gone MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) may be found HERE
09-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #18

Original Poster
If these parts degrade so easily over time, then why are they still all intact on my AE-1 Program? My parents gave that to me and they were by no means photographers. With 4 kids, it is amazing they even still had it regardless of its condition. Every other camera they had was consumed by a dog, dropped in sand, or overcome by gravity.

And how do I go about finding this Eric?
09-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There is no accounting for how older gear is kept or maintained. BTW, the AE1 - and other Canons of the time, are notoriously known for the "shutter squeek".

Eric website -> Home

BTW, I have an ME Super that is in perfect working condition that has not been serviced but have a AE1 with the squeek.

09-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Eric can be found here: Home

I wouldn't be so sure that the Canon is still perfect, at the very least it would benefit from some light seals and a new mirror bumper. It might not be visibly breaking down into chunks, but it isn't in perfect condition anymore. I have a Pentax Super Program that has visibly good seals, but it is still going to Eric when I sell off a couple K1000s to fund it
09-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MMurphy37 Quote
If these parts degrade so easily over time, then why are they still all intact on my AE-1 Program? My parents gave that to me and they were by no means photographers. With 4 kids, it is amazing they even still had it regardless of its condition. Every other camera they had was consumed by a dog, dropped in sand, or overcome by gravity.

And how do I go about finding this Eric?
I have a mint Canon A-1 (I am the original owner, and it's shot maybe 100 rolls of film max), which you will recall is of the same era, and the foam on that started falling apart just over the last few years. It's not a question of if, rather it's when.

Someone posted a link to Eric above, but here it is again:
Home
I've never dealt with him but everyone throughout PF, not just on this thread, seems to have good experiences. Doesn't mean your local camera shop (if you have one any more) can't possibly also do a good job, but I suspect most local shops would outsource the job to a third party anyhow.

Good luck!
09-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #22

Original Poster
Well, does anyone have a manual for disassembling the ME Super? I might as well give it a go. I'm usually pretty good with taking things apart and putting them back together. I have one that shows a disassembled ME Super and where all the parts go, but it is more of an anatomy of the camera, and not a guide. Its just shows all the parts and not how to take it apart.

09-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
John...I am glad you you have had good luck with this product, but while Goo Gone has citrus components, it is hardly citrus-based. My bottle is clearly labeled as containing petroleum distillates (up to 95% according to the MSDS*), is highly flammable, and its contents are not miscible in water (again, according to the MSDS*). It is great stuff and may work well with the glass focus screens found in true vintage gear, but I would hesitate to use it on the plastic screens found in most cameras made since the mid-1970s.

Your comment makes a very good point in that screens are best cleaned outside the camera. For an ME Super, this requires at least partial dis-assembly (top cover and pentaprism). That is why I send mine to a pro to resolve a gooey screen.

Steve

* Link to Goo Gone MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) may be found HERE
I haven't used this with any screens other than the modern ones which I had no clue as to what material they are other than being fresnel lenses. In any case, I haven't experienced any ill effects to soaking my lenses in them though I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it could damage a screen either as I'm sure they vary greatly. That being said, I've had good success with this product on a host of other materials as well(glasses, protective screens, LCD screen) <- we have children and so it does seems to be fairly good in that respect. Though I always wash off any remaining residue after use. Just to be safe.

At any rate, I certainly wouldn't use it everywhere either. As I'm sure that whatever it does to break down bonds and adhesives would apply to a host of other materials as well. And so there's always a risk.

Perhaps someone with an older screen could run some tests?
09-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I too would recommend ERIC for CLA to regain like new performance. If you are determined to DIY, search "Pentax ME Super service manuals" where there are several sources for ME Super Service Manuals......Cliff
09-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, does anyone have a manual for disassembling the ME Super?
Yes, it's available online here: http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/me-s_sm.pdf

Good luck with the repair. I'd suggest you take photos as you do it and post your progress online. I'd guess there are others who'd like to see your work.

Also, if you don't have the standard owner's manual, it's available here: Pentax Manuals. The password for manuals is "Pentax".
09-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, does anyone have a manual for disassembling the ME Super?
Enjoy ... the ... journey!
09-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
There is a product called Goo Gone that I often use when working with focusing screens(adjustments etc). It is a citrus based product that breaks down most glues and adhesive based products.

And spruce sap
09-16-2012, 02:54 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I just sold my mint black MEsuper with orange leather to help fund the K5 - The MX is the only 35mm camera I couldn't possibly be without - I would suggest picking up a decent copy and sending it to Eric... You'll then have a beauty that will last a lifetime.