Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #1

Pentax LX Problem

I am facing some problems with my Pentax LX camera. The Shutter Speeds lower than X-marks are malfunctioning (the ones which are achieved with batteries). The shutter locks/jams at lower shutter speeds and touching the exposure compensation dial releases it. Does anyone has any idea that what is the nature and solution of this problem? The place where I live does not have any service center so I have to fix it at my own . . . Kindly Help! This is my favourite camera . . .

09-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In aperture priority, meter a scene in a high, medium and slow speed and see if the pressing the shutter gives corresponding results. If not then try the obvious new batteries first.
09-17-2012, 05:48 AM   #3

Just tested mine with the batteries out. Shutter speeds x and above appear to work fine (mechanical speeds). Anything under X and the mirror stays up and the shutter open. The only way to get them to return is via turning the shutter speed dial back to X. Adjusting the exposure dial didn't do anything. Is your light meter working?
09-17-2012, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #4
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by Nazeef Quote
I am facing some problems with my Pentax LX camera. The Shutter Speeds lower than X-marks are malfunctioning (the ones which are achieved with batteries). The shutter locks/jams at lower shutter speeds and touching the exposure compensation dial releases it. Does anyone has any idea that what is the nature and solution of this problem? The place where I live does not have any service center so I have to fix it at my own . . . Kindly Help! This is my favourite camera . . .
Nazeef,
As LesDMess points... rule out bad batteries, an indicator is the rapid blinking that may occur. In some circuits, the drain may be more higher than normal... if the meter lights up for more than a minute, then it is a sign that the circuit is not functioning. Also, note were your meter is signaling. With the lens cap on and in a average lit room with the ASA set to 100, activate the meter and look through the dark viewfinder to see which LED is lighting. It should be the bottom red and not any other. This will indicate that a bad signal is causing the sensitive metering system to read the wrong value.

Errors in shutter functions at slow speeds are going to point to build up of oxidation or even moisture infiltration due to degraded seals or missing seals. The points that may miss-behave are located just under the advance-side upper between the lever and the speed dial which is the selector of the shutter modes and power switch. The next place is the underside as part of the main power switch for the shutter circuits. The other is the Rewind-side that is the circuit part of the ASA dial. Also note if the reading is different while cocked compared to un-cocked.

Some exercises... Turn the ASA knob rapidly from back and forth a few times. Rotate the speed dial from 125 to X to 60 to 30 and back to 125.

09-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for a detailed reply!
I have changed the batteries and added brand new batteries in the camera but apparently that doesn't seem to be the cause of the problem. I have done the exercises mentioned by you and there seem to be a slight improvement. As far as the metering system is concerned, I have tested it but it seems to be working fine.
Can there be an issue of lubrication of ASA dial? If so, then is there any way I can do it? I would be thankful to you if you can kindly give me some internet link or something like that where I can understand the procedure . . .
09-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by Nazeef Quote
Can there be an issue of lubrication of ASA dial? If so, then is there any way I can do it? I would be thankful to you if you can kindly give me some internet link or something like that where I can understand the procedure . . .
Nazeef, the real complication is the sealed body of the LX. To access the ASA board would mean that the shell must be breached and I would warn against it if you are not at least familiar with the basic steps of camera repair. The need and knowledge of use of spanners and proper cross tip drivers and etc. If it is just the ASA board that is the trouble would be great, however, that is not usually the case. You should continue to exercise it for a bit to see if the improvements last longer or other behavior appear.