Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #1

New Pentax film SLRs. some questions

Hello,

Just bought a Honeywell Pentax H3v. Overall really cool looking (bought it for 10 dollars for that reason alone). Snapped some quick shots around my house just to test it out. Going to have the film developed tomorrow and I think I'm going to see if the shop works with film SLRs for a CLA.

My question is it expensive/worth it to have a CLA done to this camera?

Also, when taking the photos, quite frequently towards the end the viewfinder would go totally black as if no light was going through. After one or more shots, it would go back to normal only to start again. I may get off a few shots in a row without it happening but then it'll go black again. Most of the time it's every other shot it happens however. Anyone have any idea of the problem?

The focusing window also looks kind of rough. I think I've heard with K1000s that its a fairly cheap and easy fix to get a new screen. Is it the same for these older SLRs?

Thanks

09-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It probably needs a cla. Eric Hendrickson is the person you should contact for an estimate.

email him. His is a Pentax guru.

Eric> Home
09-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The black viewfinder is most likely from the mirror sticking in the up position. Possibly a sticky foam bumper. At the very least you need to check the foam in the door seals as well. A CLA will give you a camera you can love and trust.
09-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kimsoohan Quote
My question is it expensive/worth it to have a CLA done to this camera?
I might think if you have some nice plans to use film and try things out... yes.
If you have a bunch of Super-Takumars to try out... yes.
Looking to make this film camera a cheap, but effective back-up body... yes.
For the love of film... YES!

H3v is an old one. I will likely have accumulated dirty inside or grime as well as have shutter hang and mirror hang issues.
Some due to the dreaded foam decay, however, some due to just tried out lubes in the roller, slider, high friction points.
Worse case is from getting caught out in the rain a few times... I have three examples picked up from ebay that show those signs.

09-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter

For around $65 to $75 and shipping, Eric does a clean, lube and adjust (cla) and replaces the light seals and mirror pad. He will send you an estimate upon arrival of the body and get your go ahead before doing the work.
09-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to shoot him an email. How should I go about shipping a camera (packing etc)?

Thanks
09-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kimsoohan Quote
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to shoot him an email. How should I go about shipping a camera (packing etc)?

Thanks
I use either priority US mail or FedEx. I use bubble wrap.