Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

New camera, stuck mirror

Today I was given a Pentax Asahi ES2. several lenses and lots of acceserys. The problem is the mirror won't stay down. It moves freely enouph but I cannot look through the viewfinder. There are no batterys in it so I am thinking that may be the problem but I don't know that. Everything is in great shape so I would really like to get this one working. I would then give my daughter my K1000 and all it's gear. Anyone with idea's?
Sorry I haven't posted in so long. Lots of things going on. I haven't been taking any pictures at all. I haven't done anything but work and family stuff.

10-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It may not be a problem with the mirror.
The ESII has a setting on the top dial where it closes two blinds in the view finder to stop light getting in on long exposures - turn the dial to a different position and see if the viewfinder opens. This is a feature - not a fault.

If this is not the issue then perhaps the blinds have been closed but are not opening when the dial is turned - a fix will then be necessary.
If the mirror is always up then the problem will need fixing by a camera technician.

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 10-24-2012 at 09:55 PM.
10-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
It may not be a problem with the mirror.
The ESII has a setting on the top dial where it closes two blinds in the view finder to stop light getting in on long exposures - turn the dial to a different position and see if the viewfinder opens. This is a feature - not a fault.
Does this top dial position also move the mirror to the up position when the blinds are closed?
And conversely, drop the mirror back down when the blinds are opened?

I ask because I just shipped off to Eric this morning two ESII's for the usual reconditioning. One of the ESII's has it's mirror stuck in the up position, and I am now wondering if a simple dial turn would have returned the mirror to it's normal position.

Last edited by Moe49; 11-16-2012 at 07:18 AM.
11-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well after playing around with my new toy I have managed to get the mirror to move occasionally. frustrating. The good news is i have managed to check out all my lenses and they all look great. I have quite the set up with this. The bad thing is I don't know what I have done to make the mirror work. Well when it does anyway. Then as soon as I depress the shutter it snaps back up and sticks again till I mess with it some more. I think it's just sticky and needs some more messing with.

11-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it is time to consider a trip to Eric. Unless you have experience with camera repair and/or are prepared to risk damage to your camera gaining that experience, this sort of thing is best left to an expert. Eric is not expensive and when he is done your camera will be good for many years of trouble-free operation.

Eric Hendrickson, Pentaxs.com

Steve