Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Prime lens recommendation for film camera

I am thinking of taking a film camera down to Disney with my this year and was wondering if one were to only do Prime lens would you recommend a 35 f2.4 or the 50 f1.7 as the walking around prime lense i know the 50 is faster than the 35 but the 35 is wider anyone have any opinions about it. I might also bring a Tamron zoon that is FF that is 24-135 as my general purpose lens but its not really fast for night shots. anyone have any suggestions ?

11-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Depends on personal preference - the way you "see" pictures. I find when I take only a 50 I tend step back for the view I want; so I work most with a 35 1.4 on a rangefinder, as that's more the way I see scenes. I also use an SMC-M 35 2.0 on my MX more than a 50, but tend to use an 85 2.0 more on the SLR, while carrying a rangefinder with a 35 for most of my shots.
But a 50 tends to encourage closer framing and more individual shots that are generally seen as "better" pictures. SO your mileage may vary. I do find it helpful to take a single focal length and use it consistently so that you learn to "see" the pictures it is best at. A single lens simplifies choices, and while you may not take as many pictures, you are also more likely to enjoy the experience more.
11-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Yeah, if only doing one prime lens on a film camera, I too would skip the SLR and reach for my late 50's era Kodak rangefinder. The focal length is only a trifle wide, but it is fast to focus in almost any lighting, quiet, and fits in an oversize pocket. But being restricted to one prime lens is not how I personally would do Disney.

Something else you want to keep in mind regardless of your decision is to make sure you either use a weather resistant camera and lens, or have a weather resistant tote. Not only is rain always a possibility, but 'wet rides' are a certainty. Also, know that flash photography is forbidden on all of the rides.
11-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
35 f2.4 or the 50 f1.7 as the walking around prime lense i know the 50 is faster than the 35 but the 35 is wider anyone have any opinions... I might also bring a Tamron zoon that is FF that is 24-135...

So, as a snap shooting manner of use...
If you are as close as 8 feet to get head to feet coverage with a 35mm.
You get the head to feet from about 9 feet with a 50mm in a vertical/portrait hold.
You get the close in portraits from 6 feet with a 85mm.

If you are outdoors then the 24-135 f3.5-f5.6 is nice... a wide to tele coverage and not worry about fumbling with a lens if you are not good a fast changing them.

Indoors say your 35 is a f2.4, that is good for some indoor work, but not too dark unless you are loaded up with 400 speed.
The 50 is a f1.7 and that is better for the indoor work with some flexibility even loaded up with 100 speed stuff.

11-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

If only one..... I would sure choose the 35mm!

If I take only one lens on a trip ...it's always the 28mm.
I set it on f8.0...line out the red dot on the distancescale and everything from 1,5m to infinty is sharp.
Perfect for family trips and so on in my opinion.
No thinking...just shooting :-)

Henk
11-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I missed this thread, but if you're still taking suggestions I'd forget about the zoom and take two primes: my K 28/3.5 (or your 35) and the FA 77.

A longer prime will be great for getting pictures of family on rides. I'm assuming you are going with kids...