Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #1

Pentax ME - F viewfinder coverage and shutter speeds question

I notice it has a coverage of 0.88 while the ME super has 0.95. Is that a big difference ? Easy to appreciate?

I think I like the F better since it has focus confirmation. Or is it just a waste of time?

Also I'd like to ask the following:

The typical specs have speeds down to 4 seconds. I think it has down to 8sec on the viewfinder. And I've read that according to the light meter measurements it will got to many more seconds.

I am asking as I am particularly interested in night photography.

Also is the mirror slap harsh? And can I have pre-release of the mirror by using the self timer?

12-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pureanalog Quote
I notice it has a coverage of 0.88 while the ME super has 0.95. Is that a big difference ? Easy to appreciate?
The coverage is the same (92%), what you're looking at is the magnification. Just means the ME F has a smaller viewfinder (to make room for the AF stuff).

I think I like the F better since it has focus confirmation. Or is it just a waste of time?
It's a waste of time. It barely works.

The typical specs have speeds down to 4 seconds. I think it has down to 8sec on the viewfinder. And I've read that according to the light meter measurements it will got to many more seconds.
4s is the minimum shutter speed outside of bulb mode.

Also is the mirror slap harsh? And can I have pre-release of the mirror by using the self timer?
No and no.

The ME F is more of a collector's item than anything. I'd recommend the Super Program for everyday film shooting if you're on a budget (supports P, Tv, Av, M, self timer, and TTL flash):
Pentax Super A/Super Program - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

If you absolutely want to have mirror lock up and Av mode, then the K2 is probably the cheapest way to get it:
Pentax K2 - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
I have quite a few spotmatics. And if you gently slap the release button, the mirror sticks up. You press it again to release the shutter. I am not sure if this works on the ME. I was just looking into expanding my collection, and also using a smaller film SLR than the spotmatic.
12-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The coverage is the same (92%), what you're looking at is the magnification. Just means the ME F has a smaller viewfinder (to make room for the AF stuff).

It's a waste of time. It barely works.

4s is the minimum shutter speed outside of bulb mode.

You are right I was confused. I meant magnification

Take a look here

Pentax ME

He says that it actually does more than the 8seconds the shutter is rated for.

12-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You are right I was confused. I meant magnification

Take a look here

Pentax ME

He says that it actually does more than the 8seconds the shutter is rated for.
Could be- while the spec is 4s, these older cameras were completely analog, so it may keep the shutter open a little longer if it can measure the light properly. Won't hurt much to pick up the camera and try it for yourself

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #6

Original Poster
Could be- while the spec is 4s, these older cameras were completely analog, so it may keep the shutter open a little longer if it can measure the light properly. Won't hurt much to pick up the camera and try it for yourself
I think I probably will. But if someone has the knowledge already it would be cool to confirm.
12-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think I probably will. But if someone has the knowledge already it would be cool to confirm.
I'm sure you'll be able to find someone willing to test it for you if you post a request. Right now I don't have access to my film collection, unfortunately.

Adam

12-07-2012, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I have quite a few spotmatics. And if you gently slap the release button, the mirror sticks up. You press it again to release the shutter. I am not sure if this works on the ME.
That doesn't work on anything with an electronic shutter, just the older mechanical shutters.
12-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...It's a waste of time. It barely works...

...The ME F is more of a collector's item than anything...
While I would generally agree with your recommendation, I know of a couple of film shooters on this site who own and use the ME F and who might have issue with both of the above statements. For sure full AF is a bit clunky, but the AF confirm is reputably competent. That is, if you believe the reports on this site

Probably the best way to approach the ME F is to consider it to be a ME Super with an extra little something of both historic and practical significance. It is probably not worth paying extra for unless you are a collector, but definitely worth buying if you come across one and the price is good and you like the camera.

Steve
12-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
While I would generally agree with your recommendation, I know of a couple of film shooters on this site who own and use the ME F and who might have issue with both of the above statements. For sure full AF is a bit clunky, but the AF confirm is reputably competent. That is, if you believe the reports on this site

Probably the best way to approach the ME F is to consider it to be a ME Super with an extra little something of both historic and practical significance. It is probably not worth paying extra for unless you are a collector, but definitely worth buying if you come across one and the price is good and you like the camera.

Steve
I use and like the ME-F and do treat it as an ME Super with a little extra. I got an AF35-70 zoom (eventually) just because I wanted to have the original AF experience. (I've just been given a Minolta 7000 which is an interesting comparison!) I enjoy using the ME-F, but then I enjoy using most of my film cameras. The shutter will stay closed for considerably longer than four seconds but how accurate it is I have no idea.

If you want to use a film camera for long exposure night photography bite the bullet and buy an LX. It'll cost many times the price of the ME-F but the low light metering cannot be beaten really.

K.
12-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #11

Original Poster
LX is kind of bulky besides expensive. It's a very attractive camera. I'll buy one too in the end. I already have more than 20 Pentaxes.