Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax ME Super ... or ... Pentax Program Plus!?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I want one of these ... but don't know which one of them.

What are your guys opinions!?
What's the difference to begin with anyway!?

12-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
mrNewt,
The Program Plus was a cheaper alternative to the Super Program in the 1980s. It has a "Program" exposure mode (which the ME Super lacks), if you have a lens with the "A' aperture setting. The ME Super has a top shutter speed of 1/2000th sec, vice the P+ at 1/1000th. My opinion is that the ME Super, although older, is more of a classic, more collectible, and probably more reliable.

Actually the Super Program is more comparable to the ME Super, in terms of features. I found lots of good info and user reviews of these models in the Pentax Camera Reviews section.

Happy Holidays!
12-22-2012, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Both.

Or get the ME Super and the Super Program.
12-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do sort of a like the older model more ... I just hate the pocket on the back where you put the film information (can that thing be removed?).

12-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Here at Chez aoeu

three film bodies still matter. MX, Super Program, and P3t. The Super program has the wrong back though . . .
12-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Why is the Super Program having the wrong back ... !?
12-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Middle film package pocket rather than the better end pocket.

12-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wrong:Pentax Super Program 35mm SLR Film Camera Body Only for Parts | eBay

Right:Pentax Program Plus Camera Body Only Free Shipping | eBay
12-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually I don't like the film pocket to be honest .
I was wondering if that thing is removable or not!? ...
12-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've never removed a memo holder, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't take them off. You may want to send a message to MysteryOnion and ask him. If anybody knew it would be him.

I didn't see much point in them either until I started shooting more film. As a little kid with just one camera and one roll of film at a time they were pointless unless I was using it to hold a small Post-It note to write down aperture and shutter speed info. Now using multiple cameras and films at the same time it really helps me keep track which cameras are loaded with which film, e.g., B&W film in this camera, C41 color film in that camera, E6 color film in another camera, and custom film in the other camera. Now when I'm working on a project I know which camera to grab.
12-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I've never removed a memo holder, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't take them off.

I didn't see much point in them either until I started shooting more film. As a little kid with just one camera and one roll of film at a time they were pointless unless I was using it to hold a small Post-It note to write down aperture and shutter speed info. Now using multiple cameras and films at the same time it really helps me keep track which cameras are loaded with which film, e.g., B&W film in this camera, C41 color film in that camera, E6 color film in another camera, and custom film in the other camera. Now when I'm working on a project I know which camera to grab.
Yea, I could see how useful could be. I have a few film cameras as well and beeing able to track what camera has what is a good thing. I kind of have my own system and I never needed them .
I guess I could get use to it.

I'll give a try to the ME Super first and than if possible ... later on I can always try and grab one Super Program.
12-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I've never removed a memo holder, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't take them off.
Might not want to do that...the holder is secured from the inside. At least in the M family of bodies the holder is heat riveted and the from removal will require the patching of the hold in the leatherette and to cover the four holes
12-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
Might not want to do that...the holder is secured from the inside. At least in the M family of bodies the holder is heat riveted and the from removal will require the patching of the hold in the leatherette and to cover the four holes
I see ... so that will be a No. I wouldn't damage the camera just to get rid of that thing ...
I still like them so I'll give them a try. They are quite sexy especially when they have the winder installed
12-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #14

I have an ME Super and it's really nice to use so I would recommend it, but the differences between it and the Program are slight. My friend has the Program and I could hardly tell the two apart at first glance. They are both good but you should look at the subtle differences in spec to choose the right one for you.
12-23-2012, 03:00 AM   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Get them in the palm of your hand and peer through the viewfinder of both - I think that will go a long way to giving the answer you want / need.

The ME Super gives shutterspeed / metering information more clearly than the later Program cameras . . . . . but that's only my opinion - you may well prefer the newer cameras.

If it makes any difference to you - you can swap the backs between these two types of camera (the newer cameras have a little thumb-grip . . . . which is a nice little addition to an ME Super)