Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Do I need an MX?

So I've got my ME Super and my K1000, both of which get regular use. But local to me is someone selling an MX which I might be able to get cheaply. What will the MX give me that my other Pentax bodies can't?

01-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The MX when paired with your ME and K1000 will give you a nice collection .
You definitely need it ... .

Without it ... is not complete ...

Other than that ... nothing much I think.
01-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

A second spare. Jeolous forum members

Personally I would take the MX over both of the models you now have. If it is cheap, buy it and live with the trio for a long time and if need then decide which one or two of them you like the best or use the most.
01-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Somehow - I've ended up with one of each of the bodies you mention.

The MX, in a cock-eyed way of looking at things, is a mix of the other two bodies you have. Nice and compact like the ME Super, but with more the robust, almost clunky mechanical feel of the K1000 - but somehow 'smoother'. I don't think an MX will 'give' you anything that you haven't got already in a technical sense (someone will correct this statemenet shortly ), but the MX is is a very nice tool to use.

I am not heavy user of my film cameras, but when the time comes to take some photos, I always seem to end up loading film in to the MX. The ME Super gets a roll every now and again, but seldom does the K1000 get use.

Going off topic, I've just loaded a roll in to a P30T - I know it's plasticky with an electronic shutter, but it feels nice to hold and use - rotary speed / mode dial which you can use with one finger (try that on an MX - I struggle), it feels light, has a very small but very effective moulded grip and the rubberry take up spool loads film easier than the old magic-needles too (I'm very clumsy). I think I'm going to like using this - much more modern feeling than the other bodies

01-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You are so right about the P30t... Well apart from the bit about it feeling plasticky. To me it feels closer to models like the Super A than the later, plasticky, MZ series. The shutter speed dial is great, I agree. Much is made of the ergonomics of the older models, but it doesn't much matter about how they feel in the hand, if you have to look down on the camera to change shutter speed.
01-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, you need the MX. This is a system camera, although not as extensive (or expensive!) as the LX.

Finder screens are interchangeable, but hard to find.

A 2 fps winder is often available; the 5 fps motor is rare. Check a winder carefully. The battery drawer closure is really poorly engineered. Best to have return privileges if the closure is defective

Depth of field preview is a wonderful feature not shared by the ME, ME Super, or K-1000. Why this feature is omitted on any SLR camera is beyond me. Any sort of closeup work really demands the DOF preview; its also invaluable in judging bokeh. Shooting a portrait? Check with the DOF to see if both eyes are sharp.

The MX offered a data back, but don't bother since the calendar is out of date.

Unlike the K-1000 the MX has an on-off switch for the meter. What a concept!

Then as others have stated there is the indefineable "feel" of a camera. I have all three, and the MX just feels better and seems smoother, which may be because the MX was Pentax's "pro" camera before the LX. While I can't prove it I have the feeling that the meter is more sensitive than either the ME or the K-1000.

You'll note that the MX usually sells for considerably more than the ME or K-1000, an indication of how much we Pentax users like it. Try it...you'll like it, too.
01-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Yes, you need the MX. This is a system camera, although not as extensive (or expensive!) as the LX.

Finder screens are interchangeable, but hard to find.

A 2 fps winder is often available; the 5 fps motor is rare. Check a winder carefully. The battery drawer closure is really poorly engineered. Best to have return privileges if the closure is defective

Depth of field preview is a wonderful feature not shared by the ME, ME Super, or K-1000. Why this feature is omitted on any SLR camera is beyond me. Any sort of closeup work really demands the DOF preview; its also invaluable in judging bokeh. Shooting a portrait? Check with the DOF to see if both eyes are sharp.

The MX offered a data back, but don't bother since the calendar is out of date.

Unlike the K-1000 the MX has an on-off switch for the meter. What a concept!

Then as others have stated there is the indefineable "feel" of a camera. I have all three, and the MX just feels better and seems smoother, which may be because the MX was Pentax's "pro" camera before the LX. While I can't prove it I have the feeling that the meter is more sensitive than either the ME or the K-1000.

You'll note that the MX usually sells for considerably more than the ME or K-1000, an indication of how much we Pentax users like it. Try it...you'll like it, too.
I forgot to add that the MX displays shutter speeds in the VF, and has a tiny window to display f stops. Try that on the K-1000.

01-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yes, one of each . . .

You'd get an ME Super size version of the K1000 with self timer, DOF preview and the biggest viewfinder of all!
01-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought mine new in 1976 as the ultimate evolution of the manual camera. Simple and intuitive to use, compact and solid. I have the motor winder still, (not often used). I later bought two good back-up MXs for my original which still is perfect after I replaced the foam in doors and mirror bumper. As long as 35mm film is available, this camera will never date, and you can claim credit for non-automated exposures. I would take my MX to bed with me long before I shared it with my K5.
01-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #10

Don't buy it to fill a need, but DO buy it to fill a want. It's an inexpensive indulgence.
01-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #11

If you wear glasses, walk away, poor eye relief. If not, you'll have even more finder magnification than the ME, with a really solid reliable camera.
01-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you wear glasses, get contact lenses and get the MX.

Just make sure it's not its successor MX-1...
01-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
Pentaxian

yeesssss, you want it.... you know you do
and we are here to support you
01-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
What will the MX give me that my other Pentax bodies can't?
How about a full-information viewfinder?

Steve
01-09-2013, 05:07 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I recently had an opportunity to buy MX but passed it because of it's limited shutter speed.