Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #16

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I think I'll go for the Ricoh or the Chinon. Is anybody familiar with the Ricoh KR-5? I saw some varieties: KR-5, KR-5 Super, KR-5 Super II & III. What are the differences? As far as I researched, it's only the top shutter speed that's different. Are there any other mechanical Ricohs?

The Chinon series is more straightforward. It appears that they use the CM name for their mechanical line. The suffix 1,through 7 notes the generation number. I suppose the CM-7 would be the most advanced model of the lineup.

01-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I think the K2 defaults to 1/1000s with no battery.

I think the OP really wants an MX, but doesn't want to pay for it

Ricoh XR-1 and Sears KS-1000 are closest I can think of.
Yep, the OP is a cheapskate

Not really aiming for the MX, I just want to get a non Pentax mechanical K-mount for the fun of it. Nothing sounds sweeter than the "ke-twack" of a mechanical shutter
01-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by weijen Quote
I think I'll go for the Ricoh or the Chinon. Is anybody familiar with the Ricoh KR-5? I saw some varieties: KR-5, KR-5 Super, KR-5 Super II & III. What are the differences? As far as I researched, it's only the top shutter speed that's different. Are there any other mechanical Ricohs?

The Chinon series is more straightforward. It appears that they use the CM name for their mechanical line. The suffix 1,through 7 notes the generation number. I suppose the CM-7 would be the most advanced model of the lineup.
Looks like the KR-5 Super II fits the bill.
01-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I like the KR-5 Super (not 2) the best ... still have that classic look .
But any KR-5 Super will do the job.

01-15-2013, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here is a good link. Despite the link name, it lists most K bodies of all brands
Other brands with K-mount

KR-5 super 2 is the camera I most use out of my small collection- lightest and fully mechanical and not too old.
Tough war stories? It once fell 20 ft off a mezanine in a steel mill,
The nose of a push/pull zoom acted as a shock absorber and the body is undamaged.
There had to be a reason for those push/pull zooms, By the way I rebuilt the zoom too with parts from a dead one.
With nothing to lose, I corrected the registration of the lens by test shots so now that old zoom is quite sharp across the plane.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
01-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Here is a good link. Despite the link name, it lists most K bodies of all brands
Other brands with K-mount
Wow ... nice link - thanks!
01-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Carena KSM-2 or any of its Cosina-built clones. Has everything you want, including the extra-loud mirror slap.

The price? 50 bucks on e-bay right now for the Quantaray d2-rz kit with a pile of extras you can probably sell off one by one to bring your cost down to zero.

01-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asaru Quote
Carena KSM-2 or any of its Cosina-built clones. Has everything you want, including the extra-loud mirror slap.

The price? 50 bucks on e-bay right now for the Quantaray d2-rz kit with a pile of extras you can probably sell off one by one to bring your cost down to zero.
I think he wants K-mount ...
01-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
^but according to the description I have -- see the first link -- it IS a K-mount ???????
01-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asaru Quote
^but according to the description I have -- see the first link -- it IS a K-mount ???????
Ups ... you are right. Not sure why I though is M42 mount
Ohhh ... I looked at Cosina that's why
01-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #26
Veteran Member

K1000 can be very cheap.... you can often find them for $30 on c-list posting.
I got mine that come with 4 strange lenses, release cable, flash (still works!) for $60, meter still work after I put a new battery in it. They built like tank, and beautiful. You can probably use it as hammer as well.
01-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by weijen Quote
7. Judas window is not important (it sucks anyway)
So, says you. I have three bodies with the feature and am very fond of it.

Back to your question...Fully mechanical, K-mount, inexpensive, and not MX or K1000?

One word:

Pentax KM

Most of the the Ricoh's and Sears I could point you to are at least partially battery dependent for shutter function. Colton is on target with the Ricoh XR-1.

Steve
01-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #28

Yep, you want the Ricoh KR 5 Super II. It's a great little camera and actually a little smaller in height than the ME Super as well as a stealthy black. I have found two of these and neither one needed new seals or mirror foam. The Rikenon 50mm f2 lens is an excellent performer and very usable wide open. They are also often found with the excellent Rikenon or RKN 35-70 f3.5-4.5 zoom, both of mine are dual Ricoh P/Pentax-A mount lenses and as a bonus, work well with my Pentax dSLR.
01-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #29

Original Poster
I've decided to get one of the Ricoh KR variants. Would look nice beside my K-r
01-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes Tom,
The KR-5 with the Rikenon P Zoom 1:3.4~4.5 35~70mm , possibly the smallest lightest K mount 35mm slr combo of all time and the lens is an ideal ratio, capable of sharp images.
(Taken with the XR Rikenon 1:2 50 mm)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 

Last edited by wombat2go; 01-16-2013 at 07:44 PM.