Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
I have a quite a few iconic original Asahi models.....but my favorite will always be the ME Super I bought when I was a kid. A magical blend of mechanical and electronics that screamed quality.
+1, or the KX - simple, solid, elegant.

01-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
With current prices they are the ultimate
disposable camera!
For most electronic shutter models, this is only too true. That is why I caution people about paying premium prices for that class of camera. If they work at all, they generally will work as well as when new. When they quit working, they are generally not repairable unless you have a donor body with usable parts. It is generally easier to put the body on the shelf as a future parts source and pick up a replacement on eBay. Easy to do at least until available stock of old cameras runs out!

Steve

P.S. The exceptions might be any of the very rugged and desirable pro models (say a really nice LX or FE2)...
01-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Pity...I have an Olympus disposal service...
Huh??
01-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
For most electronic shutter models, this is only too true. That is why I caution people about paying premium prices for that class of camera. If they work at all, they generally will work as well as when new. When they quit working, they are generally not repairable unless you have a donor body with usable parts. It is generally easier to put the body on the shelf as a future parts source and pick up a replacement on eBay. Easy to do at least until available stock of old cameras runs out!
Yes any electronic shutter camera will generally work as well as new when they are functioning,but unfortunately they tend to "die" with out any warning which can be bad news for that half used roll of film still in it.
I had this problem with a mint condition Minolta X700 that died mid roll and had to rewind it carefully with the leader still out,then load in my MZ-S which shoots mid roll. These cameras seem to getting to an age wherethe electronics are giving out and condition doesn't seem to make much difference.

Glenn

01-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was given a Canon T50 with 50mm f 1.8, the owner was going to throw it in the trash. From its looks it had seen very little if any use. I sprang for its dedicated flash, as far as I know that's the only flash that can be used. So, for $30, the cost of the flash, I have a competent if limited SLR for .... mob scenes, etc, anywhere I'd hate to risk my Pentax gear. If I run across a wide angle or short tele CHEAP for it I might get such, but I'd rather go for some Olympus stuff for the OM 10 I got real cheap, if I'm going to deal with an additional lens mount.
01-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I was given a Canon T50 with 50mm f 1.8, the owner was going to throw it in the trash. From its looks it had seen very little if any use. I sprang for its dedicated flash, as far as I know that's the only flash that can be used. So, for $30, the cost of the flash, I have a competent if limited SLR for .... mob scenes, etc, anywhere I'd hate to risk my Pentax gear. If I run across a wide angle or short tele CHEAP for it I might get such, but I'd rather go for some Olympus stuff for the OM 10 I got real cheap, if I'm going to deal with an additional lens mount.
Shopgoodwill always has lots of FD stuff cheap. Lots of Olympus stuff too. You just have to learn how to identify the mounts from lousy pictures.

For example...

shopgoodwill.com - #12259494 - OLYMPUS Skylight 49mm Black Short Lens w Hood - 1/20/2013 3:00:00 PM

Last edited by boriscleto; 01-19-2013 at 04:45 PM.
01-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #37
Veteran Member

OK then, if we're talking values:
Mint SP11, black, no brassing, SMC 1.4 with case, handbook, & box.
What do you guys think such an item would be worth?
And, by the way, I ain't selling one.....just was wondering, as we're talking values, what you thought!
Cheers, Pickles

01-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
And, by the way, I ain't selling one.....just was wondering, as we're talking values, what you thought!
Cheers, Pickles
If it is in serviced mint condition, I would gladly pay $300 if I were looking for an extra one. Possibly even a bit more as the lens usually goes for around $125
01-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
Cheers, Pickles
Black and unbrassed? Over 200 GBP I guess, probably nearer 300. Unbrassed black cameras (where the normal version was metallic) always command a premium and collectors love unbrassed versions.

K.
01-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
and collectors love unbrassed versions.
and collectors love original boxes, too!

Last edited by Moe49; 09-15-2014 at 08:29 AM.
01-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
...that is just plain obscene...
01-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
Very lovely, in good cosmetic condition. Black does seem to be more desired, and I wonder what would have happened if all models were made black in the first place, and one paid a premium to have gleaming metal. When I bought my MX new in 1976, the colour meant nothing to me, although my friend asked for a black one. Wonder what a plain brass one would have looked like.
01-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Wonder what a plain brass one would have looked like.
Probably a little like this one...

K1000 with all the chrome plating polished off to expose the brass underneath.

Steve
01-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #44
Veteran Member

That's NICE. How did you polish it off? Wouldn't mind doing that to one of mine. Might actually use it more, lol. Right now mine look positively uncool compared to my black beauties. Shallow of me, well yes, but SO true...:P
01-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
That's NICE. How did you polish it off? Wouldn't mind doing that to one of mine. Might actually use it more, lol. Right now mine look positively uncool compared to my black beauties. Shallow of me, well yes, but SO true...:P
I did not do it. I saw the camera at my local camera repair place. One of the techs was bored and polished the silver finish off with a Dremel tool. I suspect that it did not stay nice and shiny for long, but tarnished over time.

Steve