Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2020, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nofugnosis Quote
I've just read about the metering and the only thing I understood is that I have to learn more about the metering the cameras use lol
Apart from any personal adversity to the idea, you can also use a light meter app on a smart phone that has a decent camera. The option of metering via a picture from the phone's camera (my phone app supports that anyway) introduces some sophisticated metering compared to, say, center-weighted average. With C-41 color film, I bet you nail almost every exposure as good as one could expect in typical situations.

02-29-2020, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Apart from any personal adversity to the idea, you can also use a light meter app on a smart phone that has a decent camera. The option of metering via a picture from the phone's camera (my phone app supports that anyway) introduces some sophisticated metering compared to, say, center-weighted average. With C-41 color film, I bet you nail almost every exposure as good as one could expect in typical situations.
I use a cell phone meter with my H1a, and it works great, though I don't shoot slides.

While it would be cool if the camera had its own meter, the ergonomics on the H1 are so good, I'll put up with the external meter.

-Eric

---------- Post added 02-29-20 at 11:09 AM ----------

I've just read about the metering and the only thing I understood is that I have to learn more about the metering the cameras use lol
It seems in Automatic mode, the LX, choose the shutter speed depending the scene you shoot the photo, this is high technology for the time the LX was building.

Am I right? or what did you mean when you mention the metering of the LX?

David.
By 1980, the ability to set the shutter speed based automatically based on the meter reading was far from new, though the LX did it well.

The big trick was that the LX meter could measure the amount of light actually hitting the film during the exposure.

With every other aperture-priority camera (with a very small number of exceptions), once you tripped the shutter, the camera had determined the shutter speed and that's what you got. If the lighting changed during the exposure, your exposure was wrong.

With the LX (Olympus also had a model that did this), the camera would measure the light reflecting off the film while the shutter was open and the mirror was up, so if the lighting changed during the exposure, it would automatically adjust the exposure to compensate. If light was added to the scene, it would shorten the shutter time, and if light was taken away, it would lengthen the shutter time.

Unique to the LX is that it would lengthen the exposure until it was done (or the batteries died). All other cameras with a similar trick had an upper limit to the shutter open time.

It is a very cool feature.

That said, I am very happy with my MX

-Eric
02-29-2020, 08:14 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I use a cell phone meter with my H1a, and it works great, though I don't shoot slides.

While it would be cool if the camera had its own meter, the ergonomics on the H1 are so good, I'll put up with the external meter.

-Eric

What's the app you use for meter?

Thanks!
03-08-2020, 07:08 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What's the app you use for meter?

Thanks!
It's called "Pocket Light Meter" for iPhone. I think I paid $3 to get rid of the ads (and because it works well)

When I had an Android phone, I had huge problems getting a light meter app that worked.
There are so many hardware combinations on the Android side that getting the app to talk to the camera hardware was challenging, and most apps either explicitly didn't support my phone camera (they had a list of the ones they'd checked) or said "we work with all of them" and then produced really inconsistent results.

If you have a higher-end phone, you're probably more likely to get support on the Android side if that's still the way it works.

On the Apple side, a smaller number of hardware possibilities here is an advantage, so support is there even on my SE...

-Eric