Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-11-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K camera

Any idea about Pentax K camera, couldn't find anything in review section too. As per the seller, it's first camera in K series.

Thanks

02-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's the info:
Pentax K (Tower 29) - Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

It's not a K-series camera but rather an early M42 body. It succeeded the Pentax 'S' as is an evolution of the original Pentax.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-11-2013, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Any idea about Pentax K camera, couldn't find anything in review section too. As per the seller, it's first camera in K series.

Thanks
Yusuf
This camera is an M42 screwmount camera not a "K" bayonet camera. If the photo is the camera you are buying it has its correct zebra Takumar lens and looks to be in nice cosmetic condition. Check the shutter operation at all speeds (note that the slower speeds are selected by the dial on the front below the shutter release. Also check the lens for sticky aperture blades, and the usual defects in lenses fungus, scratches etc. Light seals around the film chamber are also worth looking at but can be easily replaced and check the shutter curtain for pinholes in the fabric. The camera was released in 1958 so is getting on for 55 years so the moving parts may be getting a little creaky with age, but still a nice usable bit of gear if all is well and a service would be a good investment. Will work with with any M42 screwmount lens so the choice is almost unlimited. One thing I would be wary of is the leather strap on the case as leather this old can be weak and I have had a couple of similar age break (luckily without damage). Good luck!
02-11-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here's the info:
Pentax K (Tower 29) - Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

It's not a K-series camera but rather an early M42 body. It succeeded the Pentax 'S' as is an evolution of the original Pentax.
Thanks Adam

02-11-2013, 02:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hoodie Quote
Yusuf
This camera is an M42 screwmount camera not a "K" bayonet camera. If the photo is the camera you are buying it has its correct zebra Takumar lens and looks to be in nice cosmetic condition. Check the shutter operation at all speeds (note that the slower speeds are selected by the dial on the front below the shutter release. Also check the lens for sticky aperture blades, and the usual defects in lenses fungus, scratches etc. Light seals around the film chamber are also worth looking at but can be easily replaced and check the shutter curtain for pinholes in the fabric. The camera was released in 1958 so is getting on for 55 years so the moving parts may be getting a little creaky with age, but still a nice usable bit of gear if all is well and a service would be a good investment. Will work with with any M42 screwmount lens so the choice is almost unlimited. One thing I would be wary of is the leather strap on the case as leather this old can be weak and I have had a couple of similar age break (luckily without damage). Good luck!
Thanks Hoodie, this one is on ebay for $475 something, not buy, was just curious
02-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Thanks Hoodie, this one is on ebay for $475 something, not buy, was just curious

Absurd price!
Far to expensive
03-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by henkvanzuylen Quote
Absurd price!
Far to expensive
Hi all.

Is it to expensive? What is a nice Asahi Pentax K worth? Not an easy question. I would suggest that a perfect K with case, lens and possibly manual should cost in that range. Or what do you say?

03-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tend to agree with Baard-Einar, though it is a very subjective decision (who IIRC recently made some acquisitions of black bodies in this vintage). It is camera-specific and buyer-specific. I don not believe mine is worth that much, though it has more accessories and was just CLA'ed and is in perfect operating condition. Yet it has a very few bright marks, some paint flaking off the corners of the VF frame and does not have the OEM leather case. If anyone has an original manual I'd look. Have been for some time.

I'd say $100 less for mine.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-03-2013 at 11:24 AM.
03-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Hi all.

Is it to expensive? What is a nice Asahi Pentax K worth? Not an easy question. I would suggest that a perfect K with case, lens and possibly manual should cost in that range. Or what do you say?
A bit on the pricey side but not so much absurd. If it is in as nice a condition as it looks, original lens etc etc then collectors would be interested. I'd prefer a slightly less pristine one I could actually take out and use without having kittens that I'd scratch it.

K.
03-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I tend to agree with Baard-Einar, though it is a very subjective decision (who IIRC recently made some acquisitions of black bodies in this vintage). It is camera-specific and buyer-specific. I don not believe mine is worth that much, though it has more accessories and was just CLA'ed and is in perfect operating condition. Yet it has a very few bright marks, some paint flaking off the corners of the VF frame and does not have the OEM leather case. If anyone has an original manual I'd look. Have been for some time.

I'd say $100 less for mine.
Yesterday an ok looking K was sold for 205USD with the zebra lens and a manual. This and the fact that a very seldom seen S was sold for around 300USD during the past weeks, suggests to me that the market for old Pentax SLR's are going down. Not that many are around that wants these oldies. Or?
03-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yesterday an ok looking K was sold for 205USD with the zebra lens and a manual. This and the fact that a very seldom seen S was sold for around 300USD during the past weeks, suggests to me that the market for old Pentax SLR's are going down. Not that many are around that wants these oldies. Or?
For OK looking that sounds about right these days. I'm surprised the manual wasn't sold separately. That alone is $50. Mine in VG cosmetic and current CLA (perfect operating condition) with a perfect Zebra, 46mm Bakelite hood, perfect AT35/3.5, extra baseplate and all caps is having trouble selling at $375. That is truly shocklng given the camera and lenses have just been CLA'ed / lubed and focused.
03-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For OK looking that sounds about right these days. I'm surprised the manual wasn't sold separately. That alone is $50. Mine in VG cosmetic and current CLA (perfect operating condition) with a perfect Zebra, 46mm Bakelite hood, perfect AT35/3.5, extra baseplate and all caps is having trouble selling at $375. That is truly shocklng given the camera and lenses have just been CLA'ed / lubed and focused.
Sorry for my ignorance: AT35/3.5? Is that the lens that many try to sell on flebay for 2-500USD? I would love to own a perfect K in that state and 375USD sound just right for that camera.
03-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry for my ignorance: AT35/3.5? Is that the lens that many try to sell on flebay for 2-500USD? I would love to own a perfect K in that state and 375USD sound just right for that camera.
Auto Takumar 35/3.5 about 1/3 of the way down the page. Tiny little thing. PM re your interest follows.
03-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

May I ask where you posted your 'K' for sale? I did not see it posted here in the PF MarketPlace, though I could have easily missed it.

I am not in the market to buy one*, but I am interested in where such cameras are also put up for sale, outside of eBay and PF market place.

Thanks,
--Moe--

* I have a near mint 'K w/zebra' already thanks to SteveM here at PF,
and a mint AT35/3.5 thanks to bobrapp.
03-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
May I ask where you posted your 'K' for sale? I did not see it posted here in the PF MarketPlace, though I could have easily missed it.

I am not in the market to buy one*, but I am interested in where such cameras are also put up for sale, outside of eBay and PF market place.

Thanks,
--Moe--

* I have a near mint 'K w/zebra' already thanks to SteveM here at PF,
and a mint AT35/3.5 thanks to bobrapp.
Since it is still with Eric having a CLA I haven't actually listed it but have several tentative Private offers that never seem to materialize.

I do have an album of photos under my Nick, though. There are four or five members who regularly refer to owning a K - welcome to the club!

Last edited by monochrome; 03-05-2013 at 01:59 PM.