Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #1

Pentax KX, broken tooth on a gear

Hello all!

I am using my dads Pentax KX for quite a few years now, and ive become really attached to it and kinda invested some money over the years to keep it running as it should. However, last week a new problem came, which was diagnosed as a broken tooth on a gear, in the upper winding mechanism which results with me unable to wind the film or release the shutter, so its stuck.

The problem is, the repair guy wants 60euros to replace the gear, which sounds quite a lot to me and since the camera is worth about the same amount i am in a dilemma. I am emotinally attached to the camera and I love it, thats why i came here for help, because i dont wanna say goodbye to it just yet;

My idea was to find a body just for parts and try to just replace the gear somewhere else, which should be cheaper. However, i dont know if the gear is compatible from other similar cameras, like the k1000, which runs cheaper on ebay?

And if maybe someone has some spare parts at home?

Anyway, if somebody has some suggestions, please let me know, id be grateful!

best regards

Jaka

02-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
60euro sounds reasonable to me to replace a gear, I know that's not what you wanted to hear but realistically how much will you save by buying a k1000 and the taking it apart and hoping the parts will work?

If it was just an old camera maybe so, but if it was my dad's camera I think I would save up and get it fixed. YMMV
02-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
The problem is that I already had a similar problem once when something got stuck in the gears, and it cost 50, and then i paid 40 or something for all the fine tuning of the shutter and cleaning + new sealings .. Therefore, thats almost 150 euros invested in a camera which is not worth half of it, and for that money the choice of much better analog SLRs is big. Thats my only dilemma right now. So i wanted to get some feedback if there are other cheaper options and if not, it will at least feel better paying 60 for it ..

thanks
02-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1. Where are you from?
2. Where is the gear located in the clockwork of the camera?
3. 60 euro just for replacing the gear, or for a general CLA?

02-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #5

Original Poster
I am from Slovenia, but I am currently living in Lisbon. Sadly I dont know which gear it is, because i did not see the actual gear or the camera itself opened; just the service guy told me that when he asked me if i want him to fix it or not. But i can probably ask for specifics!

60euros is for the gear and the work.

tnx
02-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here in the USA Eric Hendrickson at pentaxs.com is the man to see, but the postage, etc, might raise the cost too much. Have a look at Pentax User for some good folk in the UK who will have some ideas about good service on your side of the "pond." Good luck!
02-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

In Slovenia, I would try contacting Atilla who runs the Manual Focus forum

Difflock :: Index

who deals with a good repair guy in Hungary. That might work out cheaper for you ?

02-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Mechanical cameras do have associated maintenance costs, they won't just keep running smoothly without being cared for. A CLA will cost more than most 35mm cameras on ebay, and needs to be factored in to the total, and you need to bear in mind that this camera is 40 years old. And I think your dad's old camera is more important than one bought cheap on the internet.