Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by puderse Quote
On your third roll already!!!

Come back and add to this discussion after you have a little experience with film; say 1000 rolls or so.

40 years ago I was shooting and processing sometimes 100 rolls of slides a day. That, of course, was followed by several days over a light table culling!
Puderse, I am trying to figure film out, not dispensing advice

02-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
Puderse, I am trying to figure film out, not dispensing advice
Most of the table top tests, and brick wall test are OK under very controlled conditions

For me the proof is i the final pictures.

When shooting BW I develop to my taste and adjust the ASA setting to match my developing
When shooting color I normally go for box speed unless experinece proofs otherwise
02-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
When shooting BW I develop to my taste and adjust the ASA setting to match my developing
Though many of us would suggest shooting box speed for B&W too until you have your darkroom technique down.

Steve
02-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hmm, I think there was some confusion on who the original poster was and also what the question actually was.
Like was said, DSLR's have there own way of looking at the world. I find my film cameras will occasionally get fooled by brighter spots in the viewfinder whereas the multi segmented metering of the DSLR will average things more. That said usually they both turn out just fine. Especially with the K1000 you normally need to do a little dance to meter various things to avoid underexposing the shadows if you have a bright sky or a light or something, you can see it on the meter when its just a tiny bit into the viewfinder.

You already made the wise choice of keeping the Super Program, Ditch the A3000 and I would say whether or not you keep the K1000 or the ME Super depends on whether or not you want a 2nd capable camera to use full time (ME Super) or a collectible all mechanical camera for fun (K1000). I assume your K1000 is a good one with the Asahi logo on the front and not a crappy Chinese one in making that recommendation.
Personally I would just satisfy some of your CBA ahead of time and keep the whole lot, nice start to a Pentax camera collection.

02-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have decided to keep the Super Program (It's nearly like a DSLR with manual focus and no LCD on the back!) and the ME Super. The K1000's are cool but it is a virtual guarantee I can pick one up in the future again easily if I wanted, not so a spotless ME Super. Both cameras I am keeping look like they were never used.

ME Super has been designated my B&W body and I am now plowing through some tri-x with the kids.

As suggested, I am sticking to box speed and getting it developed at the local pro shop.

One trick I found really fun to do is to bring a scanned color pic into Exposure and run it through the tri-x "pushed 2 stops" setting with no grain (the film already has it). That gives me the contrast signature without the extra $7 lab fee :-)

In any case, thanks for all the advice!

Jamey