Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #1

K2 fired in auto WITHOUT battery?

Hello...

I have a question about K2. If you fire K2 shutter in auto-mode without battery, how should the shutter behave?
I believe it should be something very fast, likely faster than 1/1000th.
I owned an ME, and while it's mechanical speed is only X, if it is fired in auto without battery, the result was a very fast shutter speed.
A CRT shutter test proved this, as I saw very narrow slit. When fired in X, the slit was much wider than when fired in auto.
For you K2 owner out there, can you please confirm this?

Thanks

02-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Without a battery the shutter should not fire at all when the shutter speed is set to Automatic.

According to page 16 of the user manual, when the battery is dead or removed you must set the shutter speed to 1/125 to operate the camera. There is no light meter, of course, so you must adjust the aperture according to an external light meter @1/125 or your own experience.

Pentax K2 Manual The Password is Pentax
02-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
Isn't K2 shutter button electromechanical?
That is, unlike, say a Super-Program or P3, whose shutter button is actually an electronic switch.
K2 shutter button is electromechanical, i.e. it is physically engaged to spring, lever, cam etc within the body,
just like ME, ME Super, ES, ESII.
Those can fire with dial position in AUTO, but the actual speed is unwarranted.
The electronics is controlling the time-delay between first and second curtain, not actually move the curtains.

I think the manual said so, just to prevent the usage of unwarranted speed in automatic position.

Again, thanks
02-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hiktaka Quote
Isn't K2 shutter button electromechanical?
That is, unlike, say a Super-Program or P3, whose shutter button is actually an electronic switch.
K2 shutter button is electromechanical, i.e. it is physically engaged to spring, lever, cam etc within the body,
just like ME, ME Super, ES, ESII.
Those can fire with dial position in AUTO, but the actual speed is unwarranted.
The electronics is controlling the time-delay between first and second curtain, not actually move the curtains.

I think the manual said so, just to prevent the usage of unwarranted speed in automatic position.

Again, thanks
My K2 is out for repair right now or I'd go try it out I can't say about the shutter button, but I know the shutter is a Seiko Seikosha stepless electronic shutter. Perhaps there is a mechanical override at 1/125.

02-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My K2 is out for repair right now or I'd go try it out I can't say about the shutter button, but I know the shutter is a Seiko Seikosha stepless electronic shutter. Perhaps there is a mechanical override at 1/125.
Well I hope your K2 get well soon.
Any other K2 owner out there ?
03-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My K2 works at 1/125 regardless of shutter speed setting or on "A" when battery is dead. Page 4 of the manual - specifications, states 1/125 when battery is dead. Page 14 of the manual seems to impy that you have to set the shutter speed to 1/125 when battery is dead. The November 1975 Modern Photography magazine review of the K2 also does seems to imply setting the shutter speed to 1/125 when battery is dead
03-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hiktaka Quote
Well I hope your K2 get well soon.
Any other K2 owner out there ?
There will be if Monochrome sells me his.

03-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm curious to see others respond as well. I believe it does just fire at 1/125 with no battery, but my K2 DMD has a roll of B&W film in it now so I can't check. (It takes me much longer to get through a roll of B&W as opposed to color film).