Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2020, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #6751
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc;:
...when I see a KX with an A lens it bugs me. I have a large Exakta collection and I try to match all accessories to what was available. I even buy old Popular Photography mags from the 50s to get it right...God forbid I put a semi-auto lens and a 1953 body.
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
We are all weird
I love seeing and using old lenses on DSLR or later gen film bodies, but I don't like to see A lenses or newer in older bodies despite knowing that they also work.
Yup, we are a bunch of weirdos!

Thanks,
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Wow, you guys are weird

I actually really like being able to mount new stuff on the old stuff...

DA40XS on the ZX-L? Sure. It's awesome.

F70-210 on the K1000? better than the old 80-200 with separated elements...
I'm wondering how good the new 70-210 f4 is wide open and whether it will manual focus without power just for this reason...

And I'd love love love to have a 31 LTD to go with my KX/MX... heck, any of the FA limiteds would be great on that pair...

SMC Takumar on the H1a? yes, please...

-Eric

Hmmm, can you tell me which one looks best?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G960U  Photo 
03-25-2020, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #6752
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
Some things are just simply wrong...

Steve
03-26-2020, 01:05 AM   #6753
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I wouldn't call that being a sucker...it's being a good collector. In my case it's OCD...when I see a KX with an A lens it bugs me.
I went looking for a K55/2 specially for my MIJ K1000 (not wanting a 1.8 for it). The problem being you end up with similar lenses replicated in Tak, K, M, A and often F & FA lines.

Then there's my Miranda/Cosina lenses for my Miranda MS-2 Super.

Then there's my Tamron ADii set for if I should ever stray from Pentax (at least they feel right on something like an MX thanks to the metal around them).
03-26-2020, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #6754
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lovely bricks. Surprisingly hard to find this side of the pond.

03-26-2020, 07:26 AM   #6755
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
One combo I have that does look a bit strange, is a silver FA LTD on a black K Series body. People always stare at me...

Phil.
03-26-2020, 07:59 AM - 2 Likes   #6756
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
One combo I have that does look a bit strange, is a silver FA LTD on a black K Series body. People always stare at me...

Phil.
I love my silver 43mm on my black LX.

03-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #6757
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

That is exactly what my wife said when I showed her.

Phil.
QuoteOriginally posted by jschoonj Quote
See, I think they both look good for different reasons.

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Lovely bricks. Surprisingly hard to find this side of the pond.
Thanks !

03-26-2020, 12:34 PM - 2 Likes   #6758
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jschoonj Quote
I guess for me it's what you are used to, as my original SLR was a chrome KX with black K Series lenses.

30 + years later I got my first black K Series body (K2) and my K Series lenses looked good on that black body as well. Then I got my first silver FA LTD and it looked OK on my chrome KX, but a bit strange my black K2.

Even my wife made a comment on what kind on lens is "that" (FA43/1.9)?

Phil.
03-26-2020, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #6759
Pentaxian

I guess for me it's what you are used to, as my original SLR was a chrome KX with black K Series lenses.

30 + years later I got my first black K Series body (K2) and my K Series lenses looked good on that black body as well. Then I got my first silver FA LTD and it looked OK on my chrome KX, but a bit strange my black K2.

Even my wife made a comment on what kind on lens is "that" (FA43/1.9)?

Phil.
I think the best looking combo for me is still the chrome Spotmatic II with those black SMC Takumars.
The K-series lenses have grown on me however, and I now appreciate how understated the LX is.
The silver FA43 makes for an odd combo if I’m honest, but it’s just the right kind of odd somehow.
If I had all the money in the world I’d probably rather put it on a silver LX 2000 though .
03-26-2020, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #6760
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
It's a little funny, because I remember selling the P30T (which isn't far from a P3) alongside FA lenses, so that doesn't look weird to me at all...

And how often have I seen a "kit" on Shopgoodwill that was obviously made up of someone replacing an old, broken ME or whatever in the mid-1990s with something like a ZX10?
It's no weirder than a box of Takumars with a Super Program and a M42 adapter...

And I'd shoot with either one
But I don't find either particularly attractive...

-Eric
03-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #6761
Pentaxian

I have no problem mixing-and-matching lenses and bodies, especially classic lenses on digital bodies. But at the same time, I do like to be able to have the "right" lens on the "right" body if I want. The Auto-Tak on the SV just seems to work nicely.

Anyone have an image of the 46mm lens hood for the Auto-Tak 55mm/2.2? In this case, it is because I think it really needs a hood! I noticed a fair bit of flare when the sun was coming from the side. I guess the lack of SMC coating doesn't help.
03-27-2020, 02:33 AM - 2 Likes   #6762
Pentaxian

K2DMD
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
03-27-2020, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #6763
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The beast (x-posted)

Pentax 645N • Arsat MC 30mm F3.5 fisheye

03-27-2020, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #6764
Pentaxian

One combo I have that does look a bit strange, is a silver FA LTD on a black K Series body. People always stare at me...Phil.
I think mixing black and silver looks weird. I recently bought an FA 100-300 for my K-1 and apart from the styling criticism, it could draw too much attention. It makes the lens look too "special", more than if the camera were silver as well, considering that people can be touchy about telephoto lenses anyway.

It may be an urban myth, but I understand that all-black cameras were introduced because reportage and street photographers wanted to be less conspicuous. The Nikon F2 was offered in both silver and black, and according to Wikipedia ( Nikon F2 - Wikipedia ) F2 heads [ie viewfinders] were often sold separately from the body, mostly in black finish with about 10% in chrome, and it is therefore not unusual to see body/head combinations with mismatched serial numbers and/or colors. I remember seeing mis-matched F2 bodies and viewfinders in the used sections of camera shop windows in the late 1980s. The Nikon is not mine BTW, it is from the Wikipedia article.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 03-27-2020 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Tpyo
03-27-2020, 06:04 AM   #6765
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, black 35mm cameras were introduced in 1925, and had silver (nickel) lenses and knobs - the Leica model A. Black was standard until about 1933 when Leica introduced chrome plated bodies at a premium price. From the 1930s through the 1960s chrome was much more popular as it implied “quality” and held up better than black paint. Black Leicas became more popular in the 1970s when they introduced the black chrome finish, partly to be more durable than paint, and partly because the plating thickness was the same, making production of both simpler. Of course, then black commanded the premium price.